Murray Grey Bull results....Lots of pics

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
As some of you know, I bought a MG bull last season to cross on my cows. Got a couple of MG cows too.
Just some pix of the results so far...

Bull calf 6 weeks
Hank6wks.jpg

hankwMJ.jpg

Heifer 4 weks
BooDaffy34.jpg

Boo.jpg

Heifer 3 weeks
Pinkyfront.jpg

Pinkysuckingside.jpg

Bull calf 1 week
PinkyPatch-1.jpg

PatghDaisybag.jpg

PB Bull calf 24 hours
AshApplenose.jpg

Ash1day.jpg

I was hoping to get low birth weight and add a little rear end and muscle to them growth wise.
So far I'm getting what I wanted.
The birth weight was nice and light as you can see from the 1 day old.
The growth looks good to me so far, but only time will tell.

As always I appreciate any and all input.
Thanks

I've been considering doing the same thing you are doing for a couple of years.

The bull looks like he is trimming ear nicely.

I'd like to know about the heat tolerance of your cows. Can they cut it?

Boogie,
That was one thing I looked at before I got an MG.
It started with the bull that was raised in Idaho and tested in Montana. I felt like I was getting honest answers from some other breeders and went with him.
The bull is about as close to black as he can be without being black. What they call a dark grey.
Got him down here end of April last year as a 16 mo old.
He lost a little weight coming off of test, but didn't suffer the heat too much more than the Brahman type cows.
The MG cows were bought as heifers and they are almost white or what they call silver. They never missed a beat in the heat, and on the up side their winter coat made the cold this year nothing for them. (They do shed out nice.)

All my paddocks have shade available but I didn't notice the Greys hanging out there any more than the others except for the bull maybe at the hottest times deep in the Summer. But when his weight evened out he didn't lose any more from the heat, and actually filled out a little growthwise.

I haven't given any cow in those pictures a drop of feed other than good hay this winter since I took the the MG heifers out of quarantine in early June to put with the bull.
On Bahaia and Bermuda mix grass and seasonal rye.
The Greys eat some of the weeds the others don't much care for.
So far I like it.

Glad to hear the grey bull is working out well for you :D Kinda surprised you dont have more grey calves, I've found its very dominant when put over whiteface cows I got almost all grey whiteface calves, but then again yours have indicus content so that might change things.

Beautiful calves anyway!

Thanks Keren,
If these calves continue to show like I'm feeling they might, I'll be sold on the bull/breed as a useful tool.

That's one little spot that stays wet in that paddock and we have always called it swamp grass/nut grass.
They won't eat it unless they're absolutely starving supposedly, but I had so much rye in there I"m not clipping until I move them tomorrow. Kind of reedy dark grass.

I'll have to get some recent pix taken.
The bull is out of LINDALE BLACKHAWK Who goes to CHINOOK WORTH on top and FLYING S stock on the bottom.
The dam is EAGLE ROCK SARAH who goes to WILLALOOKA POWER on top and to WILLOW CREEK stock on the bottom.
I think WILLOW CREEK is or was a Canadian outfit.
Here's a pic just before I got him off test.
He's more of a fighting weight now.

tony.jpg

he is lovely, I think you might have posted him here before and I liked him. very willalooka style actually. is he big framed or a smaller guy? keep in mind they dont tend to throw the same colour as themselves though. It really is pot luck as to what colour calf you get. silver, grey or chocolate.

Keren,
He's a smaller guy. About a 5.
Trying to compact the frames a bit and add a little width.
Looks like it's gonna work.

Thanks Alyssas.
May try and keep both those heifers for some 3/4 beef.

cmf1":2z5sl50m said:
As some of you know, I bought a MG bull last season to cross on my cows. Got a couple of MG cows too.
Just some pix of the results so far...

As always I appreciate any and all input.
Thanks

Pretty babies. Lots of color variety.

cmf1 - the calves are nice. if you don't mind keep us posted on how the murray's do in our wonderful south louisiana heat.

MGs are supposed to handle the heat ok because of their light coats.

They are some strange looking calves, I haven't seen many before that have been crossed with Braham cattle. The skin on them looks very loose. I like the baldy faced one, very good looking calf.

As I understand it,There are breeders in Australia crossing the MG With Brahman for "Greyhman"(sic) cattle.
Have heard of a guy doing it not too far from me. Haven't had the opportunity to lay eyes upon them yet though.
All my crossbred calves this year are 1/4 blood Brahman to 1/8.
I'm really liking the low birth weight and quick gain I'm seeing with this particular cross as of now.

I think your calves look wonderful and would certainly consider keeping heifers out of this cross. Nice thick, sturdy calves, ~ the kind you look at and think "Ah! Now there's the beef!". Good work! :tiphat:

Latest posts