MultiMin 90

Help Support CattleToday:

USAxBrad

Reaction score
What's everyone's thought on it? Is it worth the money? Do you only use it on calves, cows or both?

We are going to use it on the cow herd ahead of breeding. It is expensive but so is ET and AI and if it bumps conception than it will be a good investment. If not then I have spent a bunch of money for no gain. I will let you know what we think of it when we preg check.

gizmom

Thank you gizmom, I am taking it you have done a little research on it before deciding to use it. What had you learned about it that made you decide to try it though besides trying to help conception? Do you think it's going to add something that your cows might be lacking from your normal mineral program? That's all I am pretty much wondering.
Okay thank you TGF, so you think it cost justifies even with your regular mineral program.

We gave it to our recips and our flush cow about 4 weeks ago while we were vaccinating. We pulled CIDR's, and the flush cow should be in standing heat tonight or in the morning. I have two recips that came in this morning, too early for an egg from the flush cow so we will put in frozen eggs the day before.
We have been told, and the research shows, that conceptions improve when using Multimin. We only use it on the recips and this donor cow, because even one more pregnancy would make the bottle worth the expense. If you are going to pay extra money to do stuff like this, it makes sense to use a product like MultiMin. We use Conceptaide also, so I am pretty sure we are well covered, but why take the chance?

I have given every new born calf a dose over the last 2 years. And same as grit, if I doctor an animal it gets a dose.

Multimin 90 is chelated Zinc, Copper, Manganese, and Selenium.
Our local vet says he uses it in conjunction with LA 300 or Draxxin to treat pinkeye with good results. So I have started doing the same.
I don't think I want to get up my whole herd just to give them a dose of Multimin 90, but I have started feeding chelated minerals which should be almost as good IMO......maybe not work quite as fast.
Ironically, on a side note, the purina rep told me the chelated minerals were too high to feed....the wind and rain with availa4. except during breeding season. I think they just don't want to stock it having to order 2 ton at a time.

Everything that goes through the chute this fall is going to get it, except calves. We've been using it for several years on various groups, and maybe it's coincidence, but they have all had great breedups; better than usual, AI or NS. When you get good results, it's hard to stop doing something just to save a couple $$ a head. We know several big breeders that use it also, with really good results.

Helps me make money. Everything down the shoot gets a shot of it. Like Jed said, I really believe it cuts dead loss on bm, super thin cows. Most of them gain weight from day one

I like the stuff. We use it on a lot of different things. As an example, we are buying thin feeder cows right now and are putting them in our growyard on feed, planning on hitting a March fat cow market with them. We are buying big framed cows out of the Northern Mountain states. When we brign these cows through the chute on arrival to preg and process, we have been giving them a shot of Multimin, I think it does a good job of getting the minerals and vitamins all balanced in the cow more quickly so they can get on track and gain to the best of their ability within our very defined timeline of them.
Next week when we give all the bulls their fall shots prior to going out with the cows 12/10, they'll get a shot of Multimin too.

I used it 4 yrs on everything like the bottle said, seemed like I got along well. 2 yrs ago quit multi min went with yr round breeder mineral from co op best conception ever on everything. Not knocking it but maybe overkill if everything else is right.

bse":3eqw4r8h said:
I used it 4 yrs on everything like the bottle said, seemed like I got along well. 2 yrs ago quit multi min went with yr round breeder mineral from co op best conception ever on everything. Not knocking it but maybe overkill if everything else is right.

2X
Mineral supplement needs vary for a lot of reasons. Some breeds need more. Some feeds need more. Some areas need more...

MultiMin has a lot of free papers where they will provide on the results from studies. Focus was on conception rates and immunization effectiveness. Gains may be uneconomical in some cases.

I think MultiMin has a place. I use it on all mismanaged purchases when they get their first round of shots. I use it selectively on home raised cattle - - usually when I have to treat them. I get close to 100% breed back without it.

Well went ahead and used it on Friday on the fall cows. I guess it's worth a shot after hearing all the positive feedback, thank you everyone.

I use it when I have to doctor one, other than that I use VitaFerm Conceptaid 1 month before breeding and throughout breeding in the spring then we go to the Heat mineral. We have had very good results with this.

Banjo":2acqndz5 said:
Our local vet says he uses it in conjunction with LA 300 or Draxxin to treat pinkeye with good results. So I have started doing the same.
I don't think I want to get up my whole herd just to give them a dose of Multimin 90, but I have started feeding chelated minerals which should be almost as good IMO......maybe not work quite as fast.
Ironically, on a side note, the purina rep told me the chelated minerals were too high to feed....the wind and rain with availa4. except during breeding season. I think they just don't want to stock it having to order 2 ton at a time.
Actually there are no chelates in Multimin....Zinc Oxide, Manganese Carbonate, Copper Carbonate and Sodium Selenite. Just a product that is injected rather than consumed orally. But it won't hurt anything except your pocket book.

TexasBred":1whqxosf said:
But it won't hurt anything except your pocket book.

The problem with all these improved and "proven" inputs is that you don't know what the conditions are. Where the controls well managed and well fed, or some deficient scrubs, or what?

I put one of my herds on oats balage for a while this fall. They really slicked up and got shiny. Worked even better than MultiMin! :nod:

TexasBred":2cujfsg5 said:
Banjo":2cujfsg5 said:
Actually there are no chelates in Multimin....Zinc Oxide, Manganese Carbonate, Copper Carbonate and Sodium Selenite. Just a product that is injected rather than consumed orally. But it won't hurt anything except your pocket book.
All I know is they promote it as chelated on the label.
http://www.multiminusa.com/products

Banjo":21siqa71 said:
TexasBred":21siqa71 said:
Banjo":21siqa71 said:
All I know is they promote it as chelated on the label.
http://www.multiminusa.com/products
Yes but if you look a the list of ingredients you have one oxide and two carbonates. Zinc oxide has been around since creation.

Latest posts