Mules, not the heehaw kind

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun, thanks to you I am now a "Mule Skinner" - just picked one up today!
My wife, the boss, finally gave her blessing. She even insisted on a winch, not sure why, but not complaining.

Based upon the discussion in this thread i went for mule. The others are cheaper, but I would hate to need the power and not have it.

Feeding should be more enjoyable this winter!!!

Alex

Put a roof on it. Amazing what a difference it will make.

dun

I have a Kubota RTV and it works great. Diesel 4wd hydrualic dump bed hydrostat tranny and power steering for $10,500. About the same as a diesel Kawi.

Circle A is in Northern Call-E-Forn-ya :roll: ; a roof just might keep the snow off this winter, heck with the sun. :cboy:

Congratulations on your mule, you will enjoy it. :D

Im on my second mule , and I think it will be my last . I got tremendous service out the first one but my new mule is not near as good as the old one . It just dont have the engine performance that the old one had, I have heard good things bout the Kobota ATV and they cost is in line for the Diesel mule too , Around 10500$. The Kawaski engine is very cold natured and has to be choked almost every time you crank it . I

polledbull":xv6l4u6p said:
Im on my second mule , and I think it will be my last . I got tremendous service out the first one but my new mule is not near as good as the old one . It just dont have the engine performance that the old one had, I have heard good things bout the Kobota ATV and they cost is in line for the Diesel mule too , Around 10500$. The Kawaski engine is very cold natured and has to be choked almost every time you crank it . I

We've got the two. One is a 550 13 years old, the other is the 2510. It's almost new, only 8 years old. I wanted to look at the kabotas but the nearest dealer/service is a couple of hours away.
The 550 needs to be choked everytime it's started, but it's no big deal, just something you learn to live with. The 2510 is a horrible cold blooded pig. But once it gets wwarmed up, about 5 minutes except in winter, and it fires right of and runs great. I took that choke return spring off the carburetor and it's amazing what a difference it is in the frustration mode.

dun

found out why the tires were spinning, differential lock wasn't working right, got that fixed and now, in low gear, 4 wheel drive with the diffs locked this thing will climb a tree!!!

took it hunting this past weekend - gotta love that back rest too (buddy on his quad complained about his back all day) - great tool!

Alex

Got the 2510 back the other day. I almost don't like it as well as when it went to the shop. Feels too brand new. Everything is tight and it shifts easy, starts and runs too well. I'm having to relearn how to run something that isn't all worn out and everything works properly. Should be good for at least another 8 years now.

dun

Got the 2510 back the other day. I almost don't like it as well as when it went to the shop. Feels too brand new. Everything is tight and it shifts easy, starts and runs too well. I'm having to relearn how to run something that isn't all worn out and everything works properly. Should be good for at least another 8 years now.

dun

Dun we need to have our "redone" about how much did it run to have everything tightened up and oiled?

txshowmom":27r1zt1u said:

dun

Dun we need to have our "redone" about how much did it run to have everything tightened up and oiled?

All totaled a grand. ABout half labor the other have parts. The brakes, all four coners plus emergency brake cables etc., and fixing the shifting mechanism in the transmission was the big part. Thing that gets me is that they don't rebuild anything, like wheel cylinders, they just replace evreything. A couple of new universals didn't add much in parts, but the labor was a killer. But it beats 8-9 grand for anew one.

dun

The wife seems to think I need one of those before I get a tractor. She sees 10 grand versus 15 or 20 for a tractor. Gotta figure a way to sway her. And not let her see this post !

dun":kux8zhn6 said:
You need them both. The hard part is the convincing.

dun

I agree..and came to this conclusion way too late to save the paint job on my truck! The Mule/4- wheelers are great to have, I keep a 16' trailer behind one of mine all the time to go out and pick up broken limbs after a good windstorm, picking up rocks (a full time job after a rain). I used to use my truck for these jobs, but finally realized a 4 wheeler can go many places a big truck cant go. You will flat out rag-out a truck living on a ranch and driving the truck in the pasture every time you need to go do anything. Between the mud and the dirt/grass, it wont be long before you wish you would have bought one. Not to mention using them to go visit the neighbors. Yes, you have to have a tractor, but I also wouldnt want to be without the 4 wheelers.

I didn't read all the post so I don't know what everyone said but I wouldn't get a mule if you do anything more than what a golf cart would do. I broke 3 axels on 2 different mules before each had 30 hours on them. I worked on the all day everyday (10 to 13 hours a day) for the entire summer checking bollweavil traps around cotton fields. I wouldn't buy one. I have used polaris rangers while duck hunting in rice fields and I would buy one in the heartbeat. We had 5 people 2 bags of decoys and 2 dogs in a ranger and it pushed through a rice levee like it was barely there. I also here the new yamaha is awesome with a grizzly chip in it.

Josh

They're coming out with two new models. One is mid size between the big and little4 ones it will have a 400 cc engine. The other is a 4 seater. Kind of reminds me of the chevy that the rear seats change into part of the bed. Got a picture of that one around here someplace.

dun

Latest posts