Mule died

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
I just had the fuel pump replaced in my 3 year old mule. $200 :( . Apparently moisture got in the switch housing at the back of the pump and the contacts eroded when it arced. How that came about I'm not sure. I'm thinking about moving the vent hose higher in the frame and putting caulk around the housing cover in case the o-ring fails. Anyone had a similar experience?

I would assume it's just a fluke. Other then wear and tear the only problem we've had wit hthe 550 is the temp censor went out so the cooling fan didn;t come on. But it's only 11 years old. The other one has a problem with dirt daubbers setting up housekeeping in the starter but that's been pretty well taken care of my a couple of little gobs of RTV. That one is 13 years old.

dun

I'm trying to figure out how enough moisture got into it to short it out in the first place. The O-ring was intact and the vent tube looked okay.

Dun,
Do you ever have to ford water with your mules? About a month before the pump went out I was driving our creek crossing and the water was just up to the floor board when it sputtered out. The fuel pump and vent are a lot higher than the floor board and I've crossed that creek dozens of times without incident. :?:

milesvb":3qxga2jx said:
I'm trying to figure out how enough moisture got into it to short it out in the first place. The O-ring was intact and the vent tube looked okay.

Dun,
Do you ever have to ford water with your mules? About a month before the pump went out I was driving our creek crossing and the water was just up to the floor board when it sputtered out. The fuel pump and vent are a lot higher than the floor board and I've crossed that creek dozens of times without incident. :?:

Not on this farm. On one of the old places the water was up to the floor boards with an occasional dip higher then that. But the only mule I had then was the old 2 wheel drive, haven;t been more then hub deep with the 4X4

dun

milesvb":17q06w7y said:
I just had the fuel pump replaced in my 3 year old mule. $200 :( . Apparently moisture got in the switch housing at the back of the pump and the contacts eroded when it arced. How that came about I'm not sure. I'm thinking about moving the vent hose higher in the frame and putting caulk around the housing cover in case the o-ring fails. Anyone had a similar experience?
Sounds like a good idea. Only problem I've ever had with our 3010 mule is a Mouse got into the drive belt assembly, and talk about a stink.

Friends just got one of the 4 seater Mules. Same price as the 2 seater but a bit more flexible. I kind of like it, but I'm too cheap to buy a new one

dun

dun":hzj9t2se said:
Friends just got one of the 4 seater Mules. Same price as the 2 seater but a bit more flexible. I kind of like it, but I'm too cheap to buy a new one

dun
Dun, I like the new 4 seaters, but I'd feel like a guide at Jurrassic Park.Or Wally World swamp tours.You sacrifice a lot of bed space with a 4 seater too.

Crowderfarms":1j7r4yhb said:
dun":1j7r4yhb said:

dun
Dun, I like the new 4 seaters, but I'd feel like a guide at Jurrassic Park.Or Wally World swamp tours.You sacrifice a lot of bed space with a 4 seater too.

It seemed that when the back seat is folded up that it had more bed space then the 2 seater does. It sure seems to have a much longer wheelbase then mine does

dun

dun":1zzq3qog said:
Crowderfarms":1zzq3qog said:
dun":1zzq3qog said:

dun

It seemed that when the back seat is folded up that it had more bed space then the 2 seater does. It sure seems to have a much longer wheelbase then mine does

dun
I never have stopped to look at one, but the wife thinks they are a great idea. Load up the kids to check fences,cows, etc.My 3010 only has 312 hrs. on it. Maybe when it wears out they'll even have something better.She loves that mule. I hook our little GH42 Bushog mower on it, and let her mow some hills that are forbidden tractor hills.She needs to do that today as a matter of fact. ;-)

I am with beefy, I always hate to hear of a death especially in the ATV's. They give there life to helping farmers and ranchers and hunters and it is a hard thing to see them go, but time will go on and and new breeds of ATV are emerging!! Seriously though I hate that for you, I know those things cost money and they are getting expensive. ATVs are as much as a used car nowadays and probably only going to get higher.

Crowderfarms":1zzrfbdl said:
milesvb":1zzrfbdl said:
Sounds like a good idea. Only problem I've ever had with our 3010 mule is a Mouse got into the drive belt assembly, and talk about a stink.

Rats ate through a relay wire on mine 3 days after I bought it. That resulted in a mass extermination campaign in the barn, after my temper subsided that is.

And for those who expressed their condolences, many thanks. Though the mule was resurrected I am still accepting those wreaths of spare parts cuz you just never know.

Latest posts