Mud tires for F-250

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Ihave a 2002 crew cab 4x2 Powerstroke Ford with a long bed. My problem...the truck is so light on the rear it will spin on top of wet grass not to mention mud. It has the same type of tires that came on it. I need some traction! The service manager at the Ford dealership suggested Goodyear Workhorse tires. He said Alabama Power Company had them put on some of their trucks and that they were pleased with their performance. I can't even think of driving in the pasture in the winter with this truck. BTW, before anybody questions why I didn't get a 4x4..... couldn't afford that option. Any suggestions?
J. T.

I've had really good luck with tires made by Cooper Tires, although I've only bought all terrains and not mud tires. Make sure you get the proper weight rating for your truck no matter what brand you buy.

I've had Workhorse tires a couple times. They wear well and the traction is OK,but if I had a 2 wheel drive that I had to get around in I would probably choose something more aggresive. You also need a little lead in the back to make it bite,or you'll just sit on the grass and spin.

I used to put sacks of feed in the back of the truck when I had a 2 wheel drive, it helped with the traction. You could use just about anthing heavy though, put one of those big heavy custom bumbers back there, might help a little.

Skinny tires are the answer. They increase the pounds/square inch without adding weight to the truck, and any weight you add will do more good. We call them pizza cutters, but they are way better than wide tires until the snow or mud gets too deep.

I have an F-250 with 4- wheel drive and buckshot mud grips on it . In 4-wheel drive it wont go where a 2-wheel drive gasoline burner will go. The ford diesal truck is the worst truck for driving in the mud that I have ever owned. If you have to be in the mud very often I would recommend using a 4 wheeler when possible and /or selling the truck and getting a gasoline engine 4-wheel drive. A winch might help as well

A good set of COOPs out to do the trick. I have a buddy who runs boggers and my brother runs swampers, but that is overkill in most cases.

JB

Latest posts