Mud and snow UGH!

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
I am so sick of this calving season. Slogging through the mud and snow, forever putting out bedding, trying to keep the calves alive and healthy. I have never seen a spring like this one before. Its usually pretty dry and now we can't even feed with the bale truck. There is 4 inches of wet snow over top of 8 inches of mud. Then to top it all off I have an unusual amount of slow calves that need help in the nursing department. Its really fun trying to get in cows and calves in these conditions. :x And to top it all off I have the Lunatic Simmental who I was gonna ship last fall chasing us for no frigging reason, when we are trying to quietly walk in a labouring heifer, or put out straw, or feed or just to check.( anyone ever try bear spray on a Mad cow?)
I hope everyones calving is going better than mine.
There I feel better now.

I'm not going thru all of that, but after what I just read, I definitely feel you pain. :shock:

Alice

I've thought of using bear spray before-calve a few dozen EXT bred Angus and you will too. We raise some rodeo cows and anything evil gets sorted in the 'check at your own risk pasture' lol. If your pen calving those head hunters aren't worth the bother-find someone who needs some hamburger and rifle her.

Ohhh, I feel for you. Been there done that. So far we have had an awesome calving season. Nice and warm for March, and April hasn't been too bad. Got a little snow here the last couple days, but it still isn't too cold out. Right around freezing. And it is supposed to warm up to the mid teens for the weekend. Only 40 of 170 cows left to calve, and we are at more than 100% on calves born (knock on wood). No major troubles calving either.

We calve out here in early February - warm and dry all winter long until --- early February! Only snow we've gotten all year came when we were calving - below zero, wind, snow - you name it (I named it something I can't repeat!) I know how you feel - but I'd take cold and snow over mud any day!
Hope you all make it OK - I'm sure you will - we're a tough lot!

Just keep repeating to yorself over and over "farming is fun" "farming is fun". that's what I do.

trukn":3dzlsnlw said:
Just keep repeating to yorself over and over "farming is fun" "farming is fun". that's what I do.

:lol: Fake it 'til ya' make it, huh? :lol:

Alice

I hear you on the mud and snow. I can't feed in our normal cow/calf area with the good shelter because of the mud. My days just keep getting longer and I keep getting more tired. Wasn't too bad until we had a cow slip on some ice and break a leg on Monday so then we had an orphan and had to get our CIDR's in. I just love slogging through the corral in mud. Got the CIDR's done and got a cow that thank God is letting the orphan calf drink from her after only one trip in the chute. She looks good with twins. Then we had a preemie born that we are attempting to keep alive, so far so good but trying to get her out with her mom before she dries up. No wild cows trying to kill me though. They are lucky at this point I think I would shoot first and think later.
I have a friend that pays a ton of money to go to the gym. She should just come out here and slog through mud, much better for the thighs than a stair master, a few pushups can be thrown in when the boot gets stuck and you nearly fall flat on your face. Then for upper body work out she can lift around the preemie for awhile, she's only 52 pounds but carrying her and standing her again and again is good for the arms. Actually, maybe I should send her to your house, an aerobic workout with your cow would be good too. :lol:
Hope it improves for you.

trukn":1r295r1b said:

good one..
And I say Bless the snow and wet weather.. its the warm hot DRY weather I dont like at all. Dry weather means bad conditions for ranching...so I will take the snow, rain, and mud with it all.

This has been the hardest winter we've had. Warm weather thru to January - MUD MUD MUD - than the coldest, snowiest February on record. Finally, got a week of 45-55F days - than whammy - highs in the 20's - lows 8-15F windy - yuk yuk.
Lost 1 week old calf, froze to death in the Valentine storm. Had another 10 day old calf go down & ALMOST froze to death (Stinky), after floating him in bath tub for 3 hours & kept in house for 3 days - in barn with mom for week - now, out & about like a normal calf.
Amazingly, haven't had any sick calves. FROZEN, but not sick. Stinky didn't even get sick - my miracle baby.
Been the most challenging winter we've had.
Hubby buried tractor last week (I'm sooooo glad it wasn't me! - I do most of the tractor driving and I'm alone - pretty tough to get out if you're alone! - so I'm EXTRA EXTRA careful)
Had to DIG him out with the backhoe - than pull pull pull.
Bottom went out with the warm weather.

Thanks you guys... your posts made my day. ( Thighmaster mud) heh heh heh so true.

Here we go again.......... :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ca3be33 said:
This has been the hardest winter we've had. Warm weather thru to January - MUD MUD MUD - than the coldest, snowiest February on record. Finally, got a week of 45-55F days - than whammy - highs in the 20's - lows 8-15F windy - yuk yuk.
Lost 1 week old calf, froze to death in the Valentine storm. Had another 10 day old calf go down & ALMOST froze to death (Stinky), after floating him in bath tub for 3 hours & kept in house for 3 days - in barn with mom for week - now, out & about like a normal calf.
Amazingly, haven't had any sick calves. FROZEN, but not sick. Stinky didn't even get sick - my miracle baby.
Been the most challenging winter we've had.
Hubby buried tractor last week (I'm sooooo glad it wasn't me! - I do most of the tractor driving and I'm alone - pretty tough to get out if you're alone! - so I'm EXTRA EXTRA careful)
Had to DIG him out with the backhoe - than pull pull pull.
Bottom went out with the warm weather.

I have to ask. why did you name it stinky?

Because we had him tucked in the corner of our house - urine & manure made the house smell REAL good! So he was nicknamed Stinky.
Now, I know I could have put Kitty Litter down to help the smell. Little late, but maybe this info won't be tucked too far back in my brain, that I might remember that if it ever happens again. First time we've had a calf in the house for many many years. Hopefully the last for many many more!!

I've had it with this crazy weather too. Two days ago I was ready to pack up and head south. Snow, 40 mph winds and ice/snow pellets hitting me in the eyes while trying to check the cows. :mad: :mad:
This is on top of below zero wind chills last week and a calf in the house on Tuesday. For some reason the cow didn't really have much interest in the calf and she was born on a wet, windy, raw day. First, tried to dry her off in the pole shed. Well, she wasn't getting warm or dry enough. Brought her home (she was at the other farm) put her in a tented box in the basement with two heaters on her. (Our floor is also heated) After 12 hours of heating, drying and rubbing her, with my sister's help, she was ready to go back down to the pole shed. Then of all things her mother decides to take her. Two days later she learned to suck and she's now running with the rest of the calves.
I still can't believe it. The last one we had in the house died and I didn't have much hope for this one.
If this is Spring bring on Summer!

bward":1lht33ru said:
I am so sick of this calving season. Slogging through the mud and snow, forever putting out bedding, trying to keep the calves alive and healthy. I have never seen a spring like this one before. Its usually pretty dry and now we can't even feed with the bale truck. There is 4 inches of wet snow over top of 8 inches of mud. Then to top it all off I have an unusual amount of slow calves that need help in the nursing department. Its really fun trying to get in cows and calves in these conditions. :x And to top it all off I have the Lunatic Simmental who I was gonna ship last fall chasing us for no frigging reason, when we are trying to quietly walk in a labouring heifer, or put out straw, or feed or just to check.( anyone ever try bear spray on a Mad cow?)
I hope everyones calving is going better than mine.
There I feel better now.
Glad I am not the only one.Decided after the problems with calving in the past in the spring we would move it to mid Jan /Feb and then this crap hits us in the spring.The calves are getting sick the mud is so bad that my quad gets stuck.Can't kick the ones that have calved out to pasture yet because of the hills and being icy when they have to come up to the drinkers for water.Was at the vet clinic Wednesday and the tech said they had their highest selling med and supply day of the year because of the weather.Some guys have already lost 20-30% of there calf crop.We vaccinate and have a strict program with minerals and have already lost 3. :( Medication electrolites and tubing when nessasry and they still don't pull through the crappy thing is they hang on in a mediocre state for 5,6 days before they die just long enough to get your hopes up.And now rain is in the forcast again :mad: :mad:

Weather there sounds like normal to me. But guess what! We have had the warmest and dryest winter/spring ever. Thanks for globalwarming.....
Our calving season is mostly april-may. AI calves born march. Had some calves from GH Rawhide 78k this year. I think he is from your continent. Very nice small calves under 40kg... I hope weather gets better for you.

April 15th and it's snowing had and starting to stick. I am not a happy camper! The snow is on top of the 2 plus inches of rain we've had since yesterday morning.

dun":b9swhl18 said:
April 15th and it's snowing had and starting to stick. I am not a happy camper! The snow is on top of the 2 plus inches of rain we've had since yesterday morning.

And TAX DAY too,,,,that darn INFERNAL REVENUE SERVICE .....Dun we got some much needed rain from the same storm. I sure was proud of it too, my wife liked it even better since we just spread 20 ton of chicken litter on the pasture near the house. Peeeeewwwwwww

I know what you mean.. mud is not the most pleasant stuff to work in.. BUt.. all in all.. we got a good 2inches of rain that we needed badly. Our ponds are still not up to where they should be. FULL!!

Latest posts