Mrs. Platt's Bible Cake

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Thought some might find this cake interesting and it is said to bring good fortune to those who eat it. From what I gather the recipe belonged to Louisa Roberts Platt who died in 1934 at the ripe age of 71.

Recipe

1 Cup Judges 5:25
2 Cups Jeremiah 6:20
6 TBS 1st Samuel 1425
6 Jeremiah 17:11
3.5 cups 1st Kings 4:22
2 tsp Amos 4:5
A pinch of Leviticus 2:13
Season to taste with II Chronicles 9:9
1 cup Judges 4:19
2 cups Nahum 3:12
2 cups 1st Samuel 30:12
2 cups Numbers 17:8

Preheat oven to 350F
In a large bowl, mix honey, butter and sugar. Beat and add eggs one at a time beating well with each egg.
In a separate bowl sift together 3 cups of the flour, plus the spices, salt and baking powder. Combine with the creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour.

The figs, raisins and almonds should be saturated in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour and mixed into the batter.

Into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan spoon the batter.. Bake at 350F for 1.5 hour. Cool first in pan then pull and cool on rack.

Is pretty neat isn't it? I have been told back in the day many of the cookbooks often gave reference to a Bible verse for certain ingredients to keep people turning to the book. I think this one has endured the ages because all ingredients are referenced this way.

I have some old recipe scribbles that an old neighbor lady gave my mother about 30 years ago. I wasn't interested in them at the time but my mom gave them to me several years ago. I remember some similarly interesting recipes that included reference to scripture, but nothing quite so intense as yours.
I really need to dig them out of the archives and post a few

Latest posts