Mower Conditioners, Roller type or Flail?

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus":9pyy44rd said:
Looking to purchase a mower conditioner and I'm stuck between a roller type condition or a flail type. The cutter will be used on primarily Sudan/wheat/oats. Suggestions.?.?
Usually alfalfa producers prefer rollers over flail conditioners. A flail or roller conditioner would do the same job on the crops you have mentioned. If you let Sudan grass get 7' tall you will have problems getting your desired result.

I have used both flail and roller, flail work good on timothy and other grasses but i think that the flail would knock the grain out of the oats.

In general the roller conditioners work better for alfalfa, and the flail conditioners work better for grass. You can use either one for either crop, it just slows your drying time down. The flail actually doesn't do too bad on the oats, either, but not quite as good as the rollers would do. We've had both and the only complaint on the rollers is you can plug them in real thick alfalfa. The flails don't seem to ever plug, at least we haven't plugged one yet.

Latest posts