MOWER CADDY

Help Support CattleToday:

I got one last year. It works great. I dont know about cutting better but it sure makes hooking up easer. I would not be without one. Hope this helps.

I don't have one, but I think takeing the wieght off a smaller tractor would also be nice. I see Vermeer has a trailed disc mower if you didn't have a disc mower might be just as cheap as buying a disc mower and a caddy?

I think the ride is smoother for both you and the mower but I can't say it cuts any better. I do know I can cut more grass with mine than without it cause without it I was spending a loooooong time trying to hook the beast to the tractor. I love mine and would hate to be without it.

Jogeephus":stog3wa6 said:
I think the ride is smoother for both you and the mower but I can't say it cuts any better. I do know I can cut more grass with mine than without it cause without it I was spending a loooooong time trying to hook the beast to the tractor. I love mine and would hate to be without it.

Hook up can be a hard but I have a system that works and is alot cheaper than new equipment. First you have to unhook it with the left hitch point on a block. Now when hooking you have to back up to the thing right. I then hook in the right arm then the drive shaft and the top link and plug in the hydro. Now adjust the left arm for and aft by moving the far end of the cutter bar whitch should not take much if you backed up right to start with. Then adjust the elevation with the hydro.
Yeah I know it is still a pain in the you know what.

How much trouble is it to turn around with a caddy? Does it make 90 deg corners well or do you have to stop and back up. I have hilly ground so I end up cutting alot of small weard shaped patches.

alabama":27xz4t5a said:
How much trouble is it to turn around with a caddy? Does it make 90 deg corners well or do you have to stop and back up. I have hilly ground so I end up cutting alot of small weard shaped patches.

I know a couple of people that have them. The biggest positive is the ease of hooking up, the 2 biggest negatives is the cost and the manuverability in the small strange shaped fields. But in the larger normal shaped fields they swear by them.

Jogeephus":1gute4hk said:

One thing I love about my green tractor are the extendable arms. Get about a foot away from the beast and extend the arms to hook on to it. This gives you another 6+ inch drop in the height of the arm, so it's easy to hook on. Connect the bottom arms, get on the tractor, and back up. The extended arms go back into place and lock, so you hook up the toplink and it's done.

It took several times of fighting with the beast before figuring this out. Block this side, adjust the linkages, etc. and still difficult. Now I can hook up by myself in only a couple of minutes without breaking my back. :D

Those extendable arms would make things much easier. I got them on a smaller tractor and I love them but it just doesn't have the hp to pull my mower.

As for making 90 degree turns it does alright. I actually leave less divets (smiley's) in the field with the caddy than I did without it but that is just me. I usually x the field when I'm done anyway. I don't back up cause mine's a conditioner mower and this can cause some problems.

Though I love my caddy and would hate to cut hay without it, it is just one more link that can break.