Mower blades

Help Support CattleToday:

We use the Vicon #90081160 bolt and nut on our HayMAXX mowers. We sell them for $1.25. We used this bolt/nut combo because it is proven and is available everywhere at a good price. TSC, A&I and all the parts houses have these bolts available. It is all about the numbers, that blade bolt has been around for 30 years and is the cheapest to buy in the industry. Affordable wear parts goes a long way in leaving a good opinion in an operator/owner's mind. If you are paying $17 for a blade bolt and your neighbor is paying $1.25 you tend to feel that the dealer is sticking it to you, when it is really the MFG. creating cash flow on wear parts

We use the Vicon #90081160 bolt and nut on our HayMAXX mowers. We sell them for $1.25. We used this bolt/nut combo because it is proven and is available everywhere at a good price. TSC, A&I and all the parts houses have these bolts available. It is all about the numbers, that blade bolt has been around for 30 years and is the cheapest to buy in the industry. Affordable wear parts goes a long way in leaving a good opinion in an operator/owner's mind. If you are paying $17 for a blade bolt and your neighbor is paying $1.25 you tend to feel that the dealer is sticking it to you, when it is really the MFG. creating cash flow on wear parts

Earl Thigpen":16hcbf7q said:
I sure can't see where an extra blade would help. Blade speed is the critical factor anyway so having three instead of two doesn't help. IMO

For each foot of forward cut each blade has to cut proportionaly less if there are more blades. Seems logical to me that it would cut faster with that one extra blade. But logic and me aren;t alwasy on a first name basis.

hillrancher":3q69r364 said:
john250":3q69r364 said:
I replace an occasional bolt for damage, but I'm not seeing enough wear to change them after 4 or 6 blade changes. Mine have a dish which protects the nuts from being rounded by the hay. And there are no grooves cutting in where the blades pivot.
I have a couple bolts in the tool box, and I wouldn't hesitate if I saw a need.

John, What brand of cutter do you have? I am going to have to buy this next year am taking notes to make up my mind.

Mine is a BushHog. I don't know who makes the cutter bar.
I have been real happy with the mower. This is year 4.

For some reason I can;t get to the secfond page of posts on this thread. I knoew there are severla responses after the one about not thinking 3 blades will cut faster then 2, but I can;t see them. Anyone else have the problem?

Yea, I looked at a Vicon when I bought this one. The Vicon had three blades per station while most (all) of the other mowers only used two. Don't know if that's good or bad - just thought at the time that changing blades was/is lost time in the field I opted for the two blade version.

Now the custom balers in my area tell me that when I'm smoking belts and creeping along in third gear trying to cut my Bohia that if I had the Vicon I could still be cutting 6 acres/hour. Yea, now they tell me. :cry: I don't know if I believe them or not. I sure can't see where an extra blade would help. Blade speed is the critical factor anyway so having three instead of two doesn't help. IMO[/quote]

I like the Vicon mower but I never used any other. It seems to be a favorite around here. My manual says it will mow 6 acre an hour but I don't do that much. I was using a NH450 before I got the Vicon and it is like another world. I still use the 450 to mow my pasture and trim. Mine is a seven foot model with six rotors which makes eighteen blades. To replace all the blades and bolts and nuts it would be less than $70 which isn't bad. I think the Vicon would give you good service. Mine is over 15 years old and still does a good job. It doesn't have any apparent leaks but I do have to put about half cup of oil in the bar each day.
Fred

Earl Thigpen":7mgxfak0 said:
I sure can't see where an extra blade would help. Blade speed is the critical factor anyway so having three instead of two doesn't help. IMO

For each foot of forward cut each blade has to cut proportionaly less if there are more blades. Seems logical to me that it would cut faster with that one extra blade. But logic and me aren;t alwasy on a first name basis.

The Vicon I used to have was a cutting machine. Man that thing was smooth. It had the three blades. Had there been a dealer any where close to me I would have gotten another but I ended up rebuilding a Bush Hog DM90. It did really well last year but the new gear box has lost all of its gear oil. I filled it last weekend with Corn Head grease but I will have to keep an eye on it and make sure that stays in there.

not to change the topic but my kubota deck blades are 35$ ea..fer MOWER BLADES!!! geeezus!! need 3 at a time...that just aint right fer a set of blades....

dieselbeef":10kjzkj0 said:
not to change the topic but my kubota deck blades are 35$ ea..fer MOWER BLADES!!! geeezus!! need 3 at a time...that just aint right fer a set of blades....

For my Bush Hog their 47 bucks a pop and it takes 4. I tend to hsarpen them till all of the usability is gone.

Latest posts