Moving to 5 acres with no water- advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Supertrace

Reaction score
Our FFA chapterloost their land and we are moving to a new property. No water well yet. :cry: we are doing our best to find solutions for hauling out drinking water but could sure use advice on the best solution for bathing our show cattle. We're looking at portable pump showers but just don't know. Anyone ever gone through this? Thank you for any tips, products, or ideas you could let me know about!

Don't know where you're at, geographically -- don't know if you're in a drought situation, or just don't have a good spot for your projects locally. You may want to talk to your ext. agent, or local cattlemen's association, and see if you can find something better, with water available. Otherwise, it will be tanks on a pickup truck or hauling in water some way or another -- and then figuring out how to bathe cattle via a pump in a tank or hauling in buckets. Drinking water for them is your first priority.

As Kathie mentioned, try to find another spot. I can't believe the folks in your area wouldn't let you use a small place for raising your projects - with water. Take out an ad in your local newspaper, try your local ag extension service, talk to you ag teacher. In short, "Ask and you shall receive". Since no one knows where you're posting from how can we help? If you were down the road from my place you could use a spot on my land - provided you respect the property. I'm just saying get out and do a little leg work.

I'm in Houston Texas. I called the rodeo, I've called every cattleman in the area, every big name realtor, businessman, etc. Our district has a policy that private projects must be within 15 miles of the school. The school is in a very commercial area which is rapidly growing. For example a perfect 4 acre tract is up for sale near here. Asking price is 1.1M and the owner refuses to consider a lease. This 5 acre tract that I have mentioned we are moving to is a huge blessing to our group but the problem is just the water and electricity. The club's small animals are going to the school district's ag barn but animals for the majors cannot be housed in a district barn. Had we known this would happen we would have just done district steers instead of participating in the Houston calf scramble and purchasing prospects for the major shows. Our ag teacher's hands are tied. Our booster club president told us it is "our problem." The Rodeo would kindly let us go to their land but it is 30+ miles away. Also, when our ag land sold we were only given 28 days to vacate. There have been many arguments, many fingers pointed, and many tears shed. Many of the members of the FFA club are quitting and joining 4H instead. The cattle people have separated into three groups. One is leasing land for $700/month - still no water or electricity and the guy could put it up for sale any minute. The 5 acre tract of land my group is going on has no lease payments, still no water or elec, and guaranteed for at least 3 years. The other group is going to a private property also free but still no water or elec. Right now I'm working on trying to get donations for a well. We are VERY repsectful of the land, and will build our own pens, feed shed, etc. My full time job for the past week has been stopping at every barn or acreage I see to tell our story. The last straw will be the media as my husband is a cameraman for a major media outlet. Didnt want to have to go there......but what has happened is horrible. The land we occupied was 4 acres of a 60 acre tract. We had been on it 20 years. The owner always refused offers of purchase. WHen he took ill, he signed over power of attorney and his daughter sold it immediately for a fortune. I dont blame her, but the developer gave us less than 30 days. At first we thought the school district would help us, but were shocked when they said no to the major show animals. The FFA booster club was offered the 5 acres and we tried to convince them that a water well would be a sound sacrifice to buy the club 3 years time but they refused and now it's each small group for themselves. So, each mini-ranch is meeting to formulate a plan. I've been researching water options and wanted to ask for your advice as well. I refuse to give up. :) Thank you friends.

Any neighbor close enough you can pay a small amount to run a waterline from?

It is just like everything, we keep moving away from our rural roots. One day the store shelves will not have anything on them and folks will begin to understand where our food comes from. Be too late then!

Digging a well would seem way too expensive. It would seem that the area should/may have a community water system. But without knowing the area just can't make many reasonable suggestions.

That seems like a lot of work for only three years but it may give the program time to locate a better location with a longer use time.

Good luck and keep us upto date as to what's happening.

Phi in Tupelo (MS)

Unfortunately there is not. We found some ways to bring water on, and are fundraising for a water well. It's going to be a trial but hopefully it will work out.

Get some shuttlews to store water and use a 12V pump. Then just get someone to haul and fill up the shuttles or use shuttles to haul the water. Hauling water is nothing new, many people do it

Good luck, Supertrace. Please post once in awhile and let us know how your project is progressing. Maybe you'll find an independently wealthy supporter that will help your group bankroll it. :)

I live in Fort Bend county. There is a man several miles from us who keeps his cattle on land without a well. He hauls water in a large tank on a trailer. http://www.tractorsupply.com/leg-style-storage-tank-325-gal--2137463 He parks the trailer and fills his trough. He has been doing this for over 15 years.

My suggestion would be to invest in a generator and buy a spot sprayer to wash the cattle. You can run it off of the generator.

thumb.php

One thing to think about concerning building on the land. Every permanent structure that you build (posts in ground) will belong to the land owner. You all might want to look into using portable structures (stalls and pens) so that should the FFA members have to move again, all will not be lost. There is nothing much worse than sinking money into something and be left without anything to show for it.

Also depending on where the land is located, I would make arrangements for a parent to bring the generator and spray rig to the place. Don't leave it there, unless you have a very secure building like a used cargo container. We have a 40 foot container. It isn't pretty, but it is secure when locked. I think that we bought it from a person in Bellville. It was under $2K delivered.

Mark Switzer Auction Sevices (Phone #: 979-885-2400 ) is having a sale on July 28 at 9 am in Sealy.
Farm, Ranch, & Construction Equipment Auction - 1036 S FM 331, Sealy, TX NOTE NEW STARTING TIME

You might be able to find panels and supplies there.

If you want to tell me where you actually are in a PM, I would be happy to see if I can help you.
Good luck!

ETA: I've been thinking about this. When the kids scrambled, they represented their school's FFA Chapter, so a scramble heifer is actually a school related project. So it should be allowed in the District Ag Barn. At least in my opinion.

I can't imagine you not getting a tremendous amount of local support for whatever you need/choose to do. Use whatever means necessary to let the public know your situation. Businesses, Banks, and individuals are very supportative of young peoples efforts, especially ag related projects. At least they are around here.

Chippie's ideas were all good, keeping mind that you may have to move in 3 or so years. Many businesses, that are worth their salt, will support youth programs, ag related or not. Once you get a plan it would seem that funds would be availabl. It may be difficult to ask now as so much is in the air, but once some plans are developed, the businesses and individuals will help.

Go buy an old fire truck tender. For real. Many small communities have them with very few miles on them. I know that in Canada once a truck is 25yo it can no longer be the main engine. Small fire halls don't have the space to keep them so they must go. Often they are donated to 3rd world countries just to be rid of them. I've seen them sell at auction for less than $1500.

That brings up the thought that being from the Houston area, do ya'll get much freezing winter weather. If so will create some preperation issues as cold weather approaches.

I would ditch the water well for reasons already provided. If the school is close enough, get hold of a 300 - 500 gallon cistern and fill it up at the school or ag center. Rig a spigot at the bottom opening, insert a pvc extension (don't glue it in) and use it to fill a water trough and also to wash down you show cows. Strap it to a trailer so it can be hauled back and forth for filling. Pressure from gravity will be enough to satisfy most needs. Find yourself a gas powered generator for electricity.

Hard to say--might be one of those internet mysteries ya never hear anything else about.
Houston area water table is pretty shallow. Just to wash cattle, they could have bought, begged or borrowed one of those drill-it-yourself rigs and probably had water at 50'----provided the gooberment allowed them to.
For that matter, they could have driven a little well with a well point and a sledge hammer--it's a pita, but hey--it's FFA--good experience for the kids.

btw, the spot sprayer someone posted the pic of doesn't need a genset--it runs from 12v truck or tractor battery.

Latest posts