Moving carport?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
You know those carports that they sell from SC. Starting prices at $695? Well, inlaws bought one, the crew come flying in, slapped it up, but not where they wanted it. They want us to try to move it about 50 ft.. Has anyone ever tried to move one? Theirs is 18 X 24. We are thinking we can lift it from inside with loader, but I am concerned that it will collapse. Any advice?/help? TIA

Looks like you would need to brace the bottom.

I would start out by calling the manufacturer to see what they suggest. They should know the best way.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

We moved one-- they come apart easy and go back together easy. If I had ten people around and only 50 ft- might consider walking it over.

Those $695 deals? in your area too? Thought that was just one of those local things in our area. Anyway, IMO...

An 18 x 24' carport is NOT something you should try to move with a front end loader (even if fully braced). Way too large. Not a weight thing, just a "bulk" thing. If wind came up...well...you have a large Kite!

Dismantle it...re-install it.

Or, tell in-laws they should have specified exactly where they wanted it. Otherwise, let them figure out how to deal with it. "It's their bed... "

Go to the local highschool coach and tell them you will donate $100 to the team if they will bring some big lineman over to pick the thing up and walk it over.

With 10 or 12 guys they will pick the carport up and walk it the 50 feet.

How did it get put in the wrong place ? I have had two installed and had to be home to show them exactly where I wanted it. They even asked if I was sure several times. If you did not give the ok for where it was placed I would ask them to come back and move it.

One way to move this:

1. Brace the bottom in about four places to prevent the sides from spreading.

2. Jack each side on one end

3. Slide round fence posts of 4 or 6 inch pipe under the end you jacked up.

4. pull to new location with a tractor, keeping posts or pipe under the leading edge.

5. Jack up one end and remove all the posts possible.

6. move jacks to the other end and remove the last posts

I would think pry bars could be used in place of jacks for something this light.

I like the idea of the football team best!

Nowland Farms":2e8xmd1i said:
Go to the local highschool coach and tell them you will donate $100 to the team if they will bring some big lineman over to pick the thing up and walk it over.

With 10 or 12 guys they will pick the carport up and walk it the 50 feet.

Interesting thought. However...

Back in the 1990's when I had a landscaping business, I "attempted" to hire some high school "athletes" to work part-time in the summer. I did manage to hire a couple...briefly. Problem?: They spent most of their time talking about cars, girls, worrying about getting their clothes dirty, and were apparently "afraid" to do any real physical labor (aka "hurt my football, weight lifting, wrestling muscles"...duh!). Needless to say, I didn't waste my time soliciting "athletes" to do any real work again. [Actually got more "work" out of some young women I later hired!].

I rest my (biased) opinion...lol.

Broken Arrow Bill, I know what you mean about getting help. They best ones we got to mow hay was girls. They worked hard and didn't whine.

We braced it up real good with ratched straps, put a skid with runner on the loader bucket and lifted it up. With someone on each corner to steady and watch it. It took longer to get there than to do it.

The reason for it being there is that the building is suppose to be 18 ft. Fine, but it's not, they are 17 ft 2 in. Inlaws wanted part of it over a deck. We took a chain saw and took off the extra and moved the carport. But when they come to install, they don't mess around, PUT IT UP!

Latest posts