The Moose are Moving In

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
I can count the # of times that I have seen a moose on 1 hand. And here is the 3rd moose I have seen in the last week. There were actually 3 moose where I got the pictures of this one, but the other 2 were hiding in the trees. This guy wasn't afraid of us at all, and finally just ambled into the trees. The other 2 were a cow and a calf.

tn_DSC05783.jpg

tn_DSC05784.jpg

tn_DSC05785.jpg

tn_DSC05786.jpg

I walked up on a moose and her calf once while fishing in Montana. I told people about it and said I was at first scared that I had walked up on a bear but was relieved when I saw it was only a moose. They told me that a moose with calf was more dangerous than a bear and I was lucky. Is there any truth to this?

Jogeephus":2vrdgf7a said:
I walked up on a moose and her calf once while fishing in Montana. I told people about it and said I was at first scared that I had walked up on a bear but was relieved when I saw it was only a moose. They told me that a moose with calf was more dangerous than a bear and I was lucky. Is there any truth to this?

I would think that you wouldn't want a PO'd mama moose after you. They are as heavy as a cow, and I'm sure that they could do some major damage.

I'm from northern Ontario where moose are plentiful. They are magnificient creatures but bothersome and dangerous on our highways--have seen several dead this spring and summer so far. The mosquitoes and black flies become so bad they literally drive them out of the woods into the open and onto the highway. A little bump from them goes a long way when coliding with a vehicle, and as we all know a huge transport truck can not stop on a dime!! It is true a mama moose can become downright nasty if she thinks her calf is threatened.
They do make for good eating though! Nice to have a freezer full of moose meat for the winter. If I was a hunter I would have had a great shot right from my livingroom window. A bull moose was standing right in the middle of the road. No hurry--just pondering which way he wanted to go. Finally he decided and good thing since just minutes later a logging truck flew by. I hate to think of the outcome had the moose not made up its mind when it did! :(

Funny what kinds of animals different folks from different parts of the world get used to seeing! That moose is really awesome.. I would love seeing one out here! I do remember the black flies however.. we came across those in Vermont when we were checking out a "moose bog". They are really nasty creatures, and I feel sorry for the moose(s)

denoginnizer":3czio07d said:
What kind of plants/grass is growing in that field? It almost looks wilted

It is field peas. They are starting to turn now, and will likely be harvested within the next month. Pretty good grazing for a moose, and if they don't like that, there is a field of Durum just accross the road ;-)

Latest posts