Carport for shelter?

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFRH

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to pick up two 18x20 carports for pretty cheap. Has anyone ever used one as a pasture shelter?

I would think if they could rub on the supports, they would eventually weaken the structure. Fix it like this:

Bigfoot":34m0v71k said:
I would think if they could rub on the supports, they would eventually weaken the structure. Fix it like this:

That looks sturdy! Now I'm thinking about that stockpile of pallets I have... :lol:

I never used them but I know of a couple of places that do for shade. They seem to work ok for them. I think I would definitely set a post on each corner to anchor to.
Bigfoot":kwxm569t said:
Pretty slick stalls, I hope my wife doesn't see that.

fenceman":3d2dil21 said:
I never used them but I know of a couple of places that do for shade. They seem to work ok for them. I think I would definitely set a post on each corner to anchor to.

That's what I was thinking, sink some 6x8 posts to anchor it. And there's five supports along each side, so maybe attach some boards or tin siding to provide more windbreak.

If you buy the cheap non-certified they are not as sturdy as the certified version. I would suggest either leaving the tin up higher than cattle or completely to the ground so that way chances it wont bend the tin and cut itself... The sides also have a flap that cover the edges of the tin on the sides in order to keep it from being bent back or injury I would take the flaps and install more self tapping screws in them. You may also want to put more bracing and weld it instead of screwing it in to help with the weakening of the structure.

If you're going to add tin, to the outside of the frame. Add a couple of 2 x 6 at say 18 and 36 inches on the inside. Gives good protection to the tin. This little shelter is about 12 years old you can see the board down low attached to inside of post. Gives you a idea what I mean. It really should have one up about 12 inches to.

I have one kinda like that Fenceman. I had a bunch of 2" x6" x3/16" channel that I used for the inside 'bumpers'.
Amazing how much damage they can do just laying down and getting up and normal jostling for position when it's cold and rainy if you don't do that--even more if they really get into a shoving match..

(I need to build one more, with just 2 sides (west and north) and a roof)

greybeard":2v2sbazh said:
I have one kinda like that Fenceman. I had a bunch of 2" x6" x3/16" channel that I used for the inside 'bumpers'.
Amazing how much damage they can do just laying down and getting up and normal jostling for position when it's cold and rainy if you don't do that--even more if they really get into a shoving match..

(I need to build one more, with just 2 sides (west and north) and a roof)

Built on for a customer a few months ago. Used 2x6 purlin welded to pipe post. I know I took photos, I was pretty proud of it. Searched high and low for em last night. Can't find em. :???:

Thanks for the picture fenceman. That helps a lot with the concept of protecting the tin, I can see how they could push out the tin from the inside without it.

Latest posts