Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

Help Support CattleToday:

Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

• Shorthorn (due to number of breeds derived from)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Hereford (the old mainstay in the west)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Angus (the new thing)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Longhorn (made cattle profitable in the U.S.)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Brahman (number of breeds again)

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Continental (too many to list but definitely made their mark)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As happens with most discussions (debates, discourses, arguments, disagreements, etc.) the participants invariably lurch into mis-understandings, mis-interpretations, mis-readings, muddled meanings, foggy explanations, and a myriad of other rhetorical comments and statements which eventually becomes so diverse that the original subject du jour becomes so opaque and obscure that the intrinsic fundamentals are lost in the haze of semantics (the development and changes of the meanings of speech forms, or with contextual meaning). I feel that this is what has happened in this thread.

The definition of "contextulize" - "..to place words into a particular or appropriate context for the purpose of interpretation or analysis". I think that the title of this thread has been obscured by individual interpretations and meanings and analyses of the subject matter.

We ALL have our own individual opinions of different cattle "BREEDS" - and our own interpretation of "INFLUENTIAL - and our own analysis of "TIME".

Regarding this topic, I think that we all can agree on the "BREED(S)" being those listed in the poll. That should 'standardize' one/third of the subject matter. Regarding "...OF ALL TIME", let's concur that the cow and bull in "The Ark" is pedantic, and has no real place in the discussion. Let's concede a point of argument and settle on a date of - oh - say - - July 4, 1776! That is where the majority of our focal points coalesce, metaphorically speaking, and the importance of Beef Cattle Management became intrinsic in the future of advanced Beef Production Protocols. That settles another one/third of the instant subject matter. Now - we have left the last one/third of the Subject at Hand - "INFLUENTIAL"!

To establish the word "INFLUENTIAL" in its appropriate context, it's definition is compelling. Definition: "INFLUENCE: implies the power of persons or things (whether or not exerted consciously or overtly) to affect others, seen only in its effects".

To expunge the superficial rhetoric to which this thread seemingly has degenerated to the point of untelligibility, may we come to an understanding that the word "INFLUENCE" is the operative term, and all thoughts focus on that cognition? Knowing, in the broadest sense, including memory, perception and judgement, that the Hereford breed was the most 'influential' during the years from about 1870+/- to about 1945 (end of World War II), and that the power of the Angus breed has been "affecting others" up to this current point in time - cannot we now acquiesce and accede to these facts as cogent?

Doesn't this post embrace the 101 posts preceding it?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":133oizcm said:
As happens with most discussions (debates, discourses, arguments, disagreements, etc.) the participants invariably lurch into mis-understandings, mis-interpretations, mis-readings, muddled meanings, foggy explanations, and a myriad of other rhetorical comments and statements which eventually becomes so diverse that the original subject du jour becomes so opaque and obscure that the intrinsic fundamentals are lost in the haze of semantics (the development and changes of the meanings of speech forms, or with contextual meaning). I feel that this is what has happened in this thread.

The definition of "contextulize" - "..to place words into a particular or appropriate context for the purpose of interpretation or analysis". I think that the title of this thread has been obscured by individual interpretations and meanings and analyses of the subject matter.

We ALL have our own individual opinions of different cattle "BREEDS" - and our own interpretation of "INFLUENTIAL - and our own analysis of "TIME".

Regarding this topic, I think that we all can agree on the "BREED(S)" being those listed in the poll. That should 'standardize' one/third of the subject matter. Regarding "...OF ALL TIME", let's concur that the cow and bull in "The Ark" is pedantic, and has no real place in the discussion. Let's concede a point of argument and settle on a date of - oh - say - - July 4, 1776! That is where the majority of our focal points coalesce, metaphorically speaking, and the importance of Beef Cattle Management became intrinsic in the future of advanced Beef Production Protocols. That settles another one/third of the instant subject matter. Now - we have left the last one/third of the Subject at Hand - "INFLUENTIAL"!

To establish the word "INFLUENTIAL" in its appropriate context, it's definition is compelling. Definition: "INFLUENCE: implies the power of persons or things (whether or not exerted consciously or overtly) to affect others, seen only in its effects".

To expunge the superficial rhetoric to which this thread seemingly has degenerated to the point of untelligibility, may we come to an understanding that the word "INFLUENCE" is the operative term, and all thoughts focus on that cognition? Knowing, in the broadest sense, including memory, perception and judgement, that the Hereford breed was the most 'influential' during the years from about 1870+/- to about 1945 (end of World War II), and that the power of the Angus breed has been "affecting others" up to this current point in time - cannot we now acquiesce and accede to these facts as cogent?

Doesn't this post embrace the 101 posts preceding it?

DOC HARRIS

GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Doc sometimes you just make my head hurt :help: :shock: :nod:

DOC HARRIS":m6s27yrd said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":m6s27yrd said:
He doesn't make my head hurt but sometimes he reminds me of the Rev. Jesse Jackson. :lol:
-

:shock: :mad: :???: :dunce:
DOC HARRIS

Don't worry Doc. We all still love ya. Verbose as you are ;-)

3waycross":25aezzn4 said:
DOC HARRIS":25aezzn4 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":25aezzn4 said:
He doesn't make my head hurt but sometimes he reminds me of the Rev. Jesse Jackson. :lol:
-

:shock: :mad: :???: :dunce:
DOC HARRIS

Don't worry Doc. We all still love ya. Verbose as you are ;-)
:D :heart: :lol: :clap: :???: :? :banana: :banana: :tiphat:

DOC HARRIS

"As happens with most discussions (debates, discourses, arguments, disagreements, etc.) the participants invariably lurch into mis-understandings, mis-interpretations, mis-readings, muddled meanings, foggy explanations, and a myriad of other rhetorical comments and statements which eventually becomes so diverse that the original subject du jour becomes so opaque and obscure that the intrinsic fundamentals are lost in the haze of semantics (the development and changes of the meanings of speech forms, or with contextual meaning)."

This, for example, reminds me of Jesse Jackson. Using synonyms to reitirate a point over and over again. Its almost comical. Put these words into a rythm and you could swear it was from the mouth of Mr. Jackson. Just making an observation. :tiphat:

Ya hear that, Doc? You and the one and only Most Esteemed All Knowing High Holiness Reverand Jesse Jackson are like two peas in a pod!! :lol2:

We ate out tonight at a very popular Tex-Mex restaurant. You'd think Thursday was an off night but the place was packed wall to wall. Plate after plate of sizzling fajitas came out of the kitchen. Granted many were chicken but there were a lot of beef fajitas too. Ten years ago I would have thought fajitas were just a fad. They come from skirt cuts. The leaner the better in my opinion. All that beef consumed there tonight. You have to wonder if anyone ever asks what type of cow was used to produce that.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2x3jysxc said:
"As happens with most discussions (debates, discourses, arguments, disagreements, etc.) the participants invariably lurch into mis-understandings, mis-interpretations, mis-readings, muddled meanings, foggy explanations, and a myriad of other rhetorical comments and statements which eventually becomes so diverse that the original subject du jour becomes so opaque and obscure that the intrinsic fundamentals are lost in the haze of semantics (the development and changes of the meanings of speech forms, or with contextual meaning)."

This, for example, reminds me of Jesse Jackson. Using synonyms to reitirate a point over and over again. Its almost comical. Put these words into a rythm and you could swear it was from the mouth of Mr. Jackson. Just making an observation. :tiphat:

:roll: S and DR-
As usual - you have missed the point entirely! The entire treatise was meant to be not only comical, but IMPACTIVE! The thread began as a reasonable and interesting study, but soon became comical, and tangential to the original intent. I was attempting to bring the discussion back to a stable base.

Have you ever wondered why some of the dedicated posters of two or three years ago don't bother to respond - lately??

Whatever.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS,

You just keep right on taking that dictionary to bed and read yourself to sleep every night. It doesn't hurt any of us to learn a new word every once in a while.
"Use a word five times in a sentence and its yours for life"
@

Santas and Duhram Reds":1r6g3i9j said:

S&D it give you 3 choices ... be a preacher, politician or just stir the sh& like the right reverend bigot JJ does.

DOC HARRIS":2xtjkgcf said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2xtjkgcf said:

:roll: S and DR-
As usual - you have missed the point entirely! The entire treatise was meant to be not only comical, but IMPACTIVE! The thread began as a reasonable and interesting study, but soon became comical, and tangential to the original intent. I was attempting to bring the discussion back to a stable base.

Have you ever wondered why some of the dedicated posters of two or three years ago don't bother to respond - lately??

Whatever.

DOC HARRIS

I didn't know you kept track of how often I misconstrue your points, especially since I rarely comment on them. I also don't see how misconstruing your point has anything to do with the fact that sometimes I think you write like J.J. Maybe you misconstrued my point.

I believe for the most part, the conversation was staying on base. It wasn't until the last page that it became an "is angus or isn't angus" type thread.

Also, I don't wonder about who is or who isn't posting on my thread. I am not that conceited or insecure that I need reinforcement by individuals to make my self feel better or to justify the reason/purpose of my thread. I also do not need to throw a bunch of big words and run on sentences together like those of Ernest Hemingway to razzle dazzle others or to get my point across. As most educators will tell you, myself included, this type of approach is often counter productive. I will say you were impactive, you did make someone's head hurt after all.

By the way, most times I don't pay attention to who writes what, I read content and if it intrigues me then I look for the composer.

TexasBred":1b5yar3x said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1b5yar3x said:

S&D it give you 3 choices ... be a preacher, politician or just stir the sh& like the right reverend bigot JJ does.

See, so its not ALL bad. :)

:D finding this topic very interesting. I still think brahman or zebu type,being from Australia ,we have some very harsh areas where shorthorn and hereford [though i have a lot of respect for them ]had a lot of trouble adapting.When crossed with zebu lines however they thrive .Im not saying they are the only breed out there as longhorn from what i gather had evolved from English lines and adapted to hardy conditions.I guess in my mind ia Aus when they started crossing brahman with the English type it made people think 'hey what else is out there'and how can it suit my enviroment.I was in working in the Huntervalley Aus where the feed was fantastic and on one property we were using santas with our market herefords to try to combat bloat a bit when the season got to good and the' 'boss didnt want to you to be fussin around with the cattle all day as he put it'' whever there was much improvement i dont no as you ended up mostley hereford but the point is it got people thinking they could be useful in other areas other than rough terrain ,then we saw a lot of other breeds being crossed for the''what if factor'' sometimes good sometimes bad ha!!!

Longhorns are Spanish cattle left over (in america) from the conquestidors exploration in the 1500 and 1600 hundreds, that went ferrel and envolved into what we call Texas Longhorns...No British cattle envolved intill later....

I hope this is close to right....

:D thanks for the longhorn info.I know nothing about the breed but that explains their adaptability .Can anyone tell me the backround of the spanish cattle they originated from please?like i said i find it interesting. thanks in advance

Latest posts