Most hours on UTV's and Atv's

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
We use atvs/utv's daily around the farm and recently acquired a used 2012 polaris ranger 800 xp with 420 hours , We have a older honda rancher 350 with over 10,000 miles and 1100 hours on same piston . Just sold our 2005 Ranger 700 with 2560 hours running strong , We have had most makes and models at some point . Curious to others experience with how their machines have held up ?

I have a 1983 honda XR500 that is my workhorse (yes, tows trailers, and feeds cows)... bought it 2 years ago.. being a dirt bike it has no hour or odometer, I usually get about 150 miles on a tank when I'm out riding, and on the farm I go through a tank every 2 weeks... about 10 months of the year, so I put about 6,000 miles on it so far
20140220_114500_zpsbe71a929.jpg

Honda 450 foreman. Way over 20,000 miles. Idk hours. Top of the motor has been knocking for a year and a half.

Nesi I so love those backgrounds that are in your pics... I have atleast 15k on my Honda fourtrax 4 wheeler and my ranger not sure but I know its under 300 miles

We bought a Arctic Cat 500 with a dump bed in 2002, It froze up at 11,000 miles in about 2007, so I have no idea the miles now, but it still runs good. I expect it has over 20,000. We broke the wheel off the axle in about 2009, but had it repaired and it was running good until about a year or so ago when it stopped at the top after climbing a steep hill. I figured it was done for, but took it in and had it looked at. They blew the dirt out it, and it is running great again. I don't know anything about engines, so I am not sure what it was they cleaned. He could have really taken us on the deal, but it was an inexpensive fix. We also have a small Arctic Cat 300 we purchased in 2005. It is mostly used to spray weeds and pull a small spreader, so it only has about 8000 miles on it. We keep it at the Feed barn, so when we go down in the big side by side we have something to use when we go somewhere steep or muddy.

In 2010 we bought our first side by side, a Polaris 450 with the dump bed. It had a broken spring within the first month and seemed to be broke down almost as much as it ran. We traded it for a new Kubota UTV 900 in 2012. It is not something you would want to do much off road on, but it can haul a huge amount of weight. It runs slow and steady like a tractor. It has a lot of power, but it has to be on solid ground. I have used it to pull my neighbors F350 out of the mud. We haul feed between the barn by the house to a feeder barn a few miles out in the middle of the ranch. It has almost 800 hours now. It does not have an odometer. We still use the old 500 or the 300 when we are doing much off road, checking cows. We learned our lesson when we got the Kubota stuck within the first few days we owned it in a spot that would not have been a problem for the ATV's. It weighs more than my car. We got it out by building a corduroy road out of a bunch of old fence posts, and got it started by pulling with the 500 while rocking it.

bigbull338, you mean you drive less than a mile an hour average? or does it have 34,000 miles?

My friend has a Rhino 750, runs pretty good, it's had a performance rebuild... known issues he's had with it are CV joints and 4wd actuators.

We have had some issues with the wiring harness on our polaris rangers in the past but overall they have all been very dependable for hard work , I sold a yamaha grizzly 660 with close to 1200 hours that was wore out but still running strong , Maybe I've been lucky but I have gotten extremely dependable service out of most of these machines . Have had far worse issues with the trucks , skid steer, equipment and tractors than we ever have out of these sxs/atv/utv type vehicles .

nesi the 4 wheeler does alot of idling and running.as its a mile from 1 end of our place to the other.plus im sure the speedodter is working right.

Nesikep":2oupacu5 said:
I have a 1983 honda XR500 that is my workhorse (yes, tows trailers, and feeds cows)... bought it 2 years ago.. being a dirt bike it has no hour or odometer, I usually get about 150 miles on a tank when I'm out riding, and on the farm I go through a tank every 2 weeks... about 10 months of the year, so I put about 6,000 miles on it so far
20140220_114500_zpsbe71a929.jpg
I really like looking at this picture. Thanks

Sold a 2004 350 rancher in 08 with 27000 miles on it still running perfect. Got 2 2007 420 rancher now, one with 12000 and another with almost 15000.

Being a 04 350 , must be a ES model , How did the electric shift hold up over that kind of use ? With the 07 420's ever have an issue with 4th gear ?

BobbyLummus1":2vnmwg4a said:
Being a 04 350 , must be a ES model , How did the electric shift hold up over that kind of use ? With the 07 420's ever have an issue with 4th gear ?
In the 04 models we had 2 Manuel's and 1 electric, the Manuel we had only got to about 16000 miles before we sold it, we had to put 2 angle sensors in it.

Never had a problem with 4th specifically on any of them, but on the 420s I have replaced angle sensors and a couple of shift motors.

I prefer a Manuel shift by far, but when I got these 07s I needed them pretty quick and it was all I could find, I don't plan on ever buying anything other than a Honda again, but I really wouldn't recommend a electric shift. Other than that they have all been 100% trouble free all them miles.