ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

drmike

Reaction score
What is the best ATV and UTV out there now? Used to be the Kawasaki mule. How do they compare these days?

We have a Yamaha 4-wheeler with power steering that we bought new in 2009.
Never have had one problem with it. Hard to believe it is 14 years old!
We have Polaris sidexside. We were lucky enough to find a 2022 used, with 700 hours on it. We like it a lot. Our cousins have a new CanAm and they like that a lot as well.

We have a Yamaha 4-wheeler with power steering that we bought new in 2009.
Never have had one problem with it. Hard to believe it is 14 years old!
My 4 wheeler at my old place was a 1986 Honda Fourtrax. Looked like something out of Mad Max with patched up fenders and rough seat but ran good and I drove the crap out of it until last May. I moved the battery to a different location and used a spare car battery instead of a little one under the fender.
spray4whler.jpg

What is the best ATV and UTV out there now? Used to be the Kawasaki mule. How do they compare these days?
What are you wanting to be able to do with it?

Most of the brands now days are all pretty good. Some have a lot more than you need or are a little better at one thing than another.

Dealer location plays a big role also. As with any thing.

All in all... they are all pretty amazing.

Ranchers around here seem to have a bit of everything. Everyone puts big miles on them, and no brand appears to be fail safe. But none of them are bad either. Starting to see a lot more side by sides than 4 wheelers these days.
As far a side by sides go I am still very impressed with my CF Moto. Over 3000 miles on it since I got it last summer and it's still as tight as the first day.

Good ole Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. Ours are beat to death without maintenance and I wouldn't want a different one. I don't need high speed, or fancy high frames.
All depends how you would use it and what you need it for.

We've really liked our Polaris Ranger. It has plenty of power and can go fast if needed, it also has a work mode and a performance mode. It has about the highest ground clearance of any of them.
For us I think it works probably better as far as maneuverability than some of the others except for maybe Can-Am or Honda which may be more comparable.
When we bought ours the sales people recommended Polaris over Honda because of the size of the bed and ease of dumping from the bed. Though I do like the fact that the Hondas are not belt driven.

I bought a Honda Foreman about 18 months ago. I was about to turn 70 years old and not really up for all the walking associated with a ridge and hollow Kentucky farm.
It has been great. I rarely go above third gear and to make it ideal for the way I use it, could even stand to have a lower gear. I left the key on and the battery went down and a tire got a little low on air, both easily remedied. Other than that it has been carefree. Better than a saddle horse for sure and much less maintenance.
Great for feeding grain to the cows with a couple of five gallon buckets in my improvised wooden bed on the back. Great for maintaining electric fence that subdivide pastures. It has saved a lot of wear and tear on my 4WD truck. It can go pretty fast and outrun wayward cows that do not want to enter the lot when i get them up.
I carry a short handled hoe in the back and often stop to grub up thistles or particularly aggravating pasture weeds. I have pretty much eliminated any thistles on the place this way. I even feed square bales with a small trailer. I love the way it floats over the muddy pastures without tearing the ground up.
Some of my hills are pretty steep and i worry about turn over, but so far no problem.

Hondas are fine but I don't much care for the electronic transmissions in the newer ones. Work great until they don't, expensive and complicated to fix when they quit. Aside from that, it's hard to go wrong with anything Japanese.

IRS, selectable 4x4, and a CVT are my preferences. EPS is nice depending on the machine, some steer hard, others don't. IRS rides way better, and a CVT is pretty much bulletproof if the operator isn't a fool.

A lot of farmers round my neck of the woods including the neighbour has a kawaski mule and he seems pleased with it, we used to have a honda big red quad bike decades ago but we get by without a all terrainer these days but boy do I get utv envy and see how handy they could be. They're light won't get stuck and don't get your pick up covered in mud perhaps I should trade in the pick up and get a normal car plus a utv

Latest posts