Honda atv's

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark said:
Not trying to change the subject, but on the subject of what to buy (if you are inclined), my first experience with a 4 wheeler ( recalling about a 7 year old TSC low $$ Gator type thing, not all that much usage) had a CVT belt drive and the sheaves didn't have a lot of wear and weren't corroded or anything....seemed to move out and in as commanded. I installed the correct OEM belt and did a service job on the engine for a neighbor including fresh filters, gas and all.

The thing I noticed with that type of drive system was that it was jerky and primitive, something that a lady (the owner from a deceased relative) wouldn't care to operate....and it did a lot of sitting idle in her yard as proof.

Question is, are CVT systems, jerky by nature or the nature of the cheap ones? Seems like a super way to obtain variable torque/rpms as far as the design goes.
Thanks for the replies.

Silver said:
Anyone have a Honda with the automatic shift program? If so any troubles with it?
I have a 2015 Honda Foreman with electric shift. One day I went to use it and it would no longer shift, even though it was shifted into neutral when parked and shut off. I spent days on it with a multi-meter and the service manual and verified all sorts of things were good. Changed out ecm and angle sensor.... still no go. Gave up and took it to the dealer. They changed out shift module and did a few things. Still refuses to shift.
So now I am reluctant to take it home. Think I'll trade it off. Thus my question regarding the auto shift Honda quads and their reliability with regards to shifting. Don't really want to go to foot shift but it would probably be a safer bet.

I have one with 15,000 miles. It did have to go in for warranty work on the transmission. It wouldn't go into gear and was thought to be a typical electronic problem, but it was more and they fixed it under its extended warranty. BUt, other than that I love mine. I've had every kind of 4wheeler and the Hondas last longer with few problems...

I have had good luck with Honda's, but everyone I have had are plain Jane's...It is a 4-wheeler and the left top of my foot stills works fine...I have had 3 300's, a Rancher and a Foreman. The more bells and whistles anything has on it the more problems....

jltrent said:
I have had good luck with Honda's, but everyone I have had are plain Jane's...It is a 4-wheeler and the left top of my foot stills works fine...I have had 3 300's, a Rancher and a Foreman. The more bells and whistles anything has on it the more problems....

Probably should have went that way. I have a feeling of impending doom. Brought home the new Rubicon 520 yesterday with the fancy transmission. It will stay parked in the shop until the temperature warms up about 60 to 80 degrees F from where it is currently.

Silver said:
jltrent said:

Probably should have went that way. I have a feeling of impending doom. Brought home the new Rubicon 520 yesterday with the fancy transmission. It will stay parked in the shop until the temperature warms up about 60 to 80 degrees F from where it is currently.
Neighbor has one like that and rode pretty hard IMO with no problem yet out of the trans. He put gas in it with some water in it and I recon that turned out to be a pretty good problem. With the PS, soft ride, fancy trans it sure rides good.

The kids are 1992 models, the Polaris is a mid '90's edition and is still used daily on the farm. The photo of them as adults was taken this past October.

I bought a Ranger simply because this ATV has been so durable.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
The kids are 1992 models, the Polaris is a mid '90's edition and is still used daily on the farm. The photo of them as adults was taken this past October.

I bought a Ranger simply because this ATV has been so durable.

Are you just trying to starts fights again? (joking)
I have a 2000 Polaris 500. It's been rode hard and put away wet, but seems like it's been a good machine. Had to replace parts like steering rod ends and master cylinders and what not, but I figure that's to be expected. ATVs get a lot of brand loyal people, but honestly, if a person were to buy one of each brand, the same size, and the same year, you're probably more likely to say they are all good machines. Anyone can get a lemon, but there are a lot of errors in drawing a conclusion of "this brand is the best" without having a fair and equal comparison. A person could say, "man these new machines are a pain to work on", but what often happens is they say "man this new Polaris is a piece of junk compared to my old Honda"
my 2 cents

I have an old yamaha, it has been in family for a while, some time back a new Polaris was bought, the Polaris was totally broken years later, Yammy still going.

I got it when it would sometimes cut out and battery died, repair to rubber manifold, new battery, and still works when needed, it is old gearbox with low range, it has towed large trailer no drama, shifts etc still as decades ago....

With an oil change here and there, it will prob be still running for decades more, but it does not have a hard life with me

CVT works well on scooters etc ..cause no need for reverse.....you really do not want too much electronics on utility vehicles

I often wonder how much poor/no maintenance causes people to say a machine is junk.
For example, this Polaris 500 I acquired, had a former rough life. When I got it, you could only pull start it, and only if you held the throttle down halfway. It wouldn't idle. The AWD didn't work, the lights didn't work, the speedometer/odometer didn't work, and the foot brake didn't work. but this was mostly due to neglect. With a new fuse, cleaned carb, replaced incorrect fluid in front diff, and repaired broken ground wire, and replaced foot master cylinder, it was ALL fixed. Fires right up, everything works. But to an outsider who didn't take the time to fix it, they would most definitely say, "man what a piece of junk". But reality was, ground wire (speedo/lights problem) was broken by someone who replaced the headlight bulb and didn't put it back correctly, the idle problem was because they left gas in it constantly and never treated the E10 fuel, the fuse (no elec start) was because they cranked and cranked due to the won't idle issue. and the incorrect diff fluid was because they didn't read the manual and just threw who-knows-what in there.

Bcompton53 said:
I often wonder how much poor/no maintenance causes people to say a machine is junk.
For example, this Polaris 500 I acquired, had a former rough life. When I got it, you could only pull start it, and only if you held the throttle down halfway. It wouldn't idle. The AWD didn't work, the lights didn't work, the speedometer/odometer didn't work, and the foot brake didn't work. but this was mostly due to neglect. With a new fuse, cleaned carb, replaced incorrect fluid in front diff, and repaired broken ground wire, and replaced foot master cylinder, it was ALL fixed. Fires right up, everything works. But to an outsider who didn't take the time to fix it, they would most definitely say, "man what a piece of junk". But reality was, ground wire (speedo/lights problem) was broken by someone who replaced the headlight bulb and didn't put it back correctly, the idle problem was because they left gas in it constantly and never treated the E10 fuel, the fuse (no elec start) was because they cranked and cranked due to the won't idle issue. and the incorrect diff fluid was because they didn't read the manual and just threw who-knows-what in there.

No doubt people expect to put just gas in the things and beat on them for years.

I still don't like Polaris. They use a mix of metric, SAE, allen, and torx fasteners. The battery placement on some models is downright miserable, on the older Sportsmans they are beside the seat area under the left side fender, and the newer Rangers have it on the frame underneath, where it can get routinely covered in mud and cow ****.

The older Rangers have common ECM failures, and they used itty bitty wiring on various sensors for the engine that cause nothing but headaches. The radiators are way up front and down low with little protection, first time you run through a field they plug up with chaff. Who thought you might wanna take a UTV through a field? Older Gators had it right with the radiator under the passenger seat, at least other manufacturers who put the radiator up front use a proper screen/shield to knock most of the crap away before it gets stuck in the radiator.

Just did some work to an older Mule 3010 with 4500 hours, suspension was all in great shape and it runs well. Those machines are bulletproof, it was in better mechanical shape than our Ranger with 1400 hours, and has been beat 10x as hard, flipped over, you name it. The owner and his hired hands are not easy on equipment.

Japanese manufacturers seem to stick with a design for many years. Polaris and Can Am seem to change it up all the time and are on the cutting edge, that hurts reliability. There's no denying they have some good machines, but as a hole the Japs had it right a long time ago.

Bcompton53 said:

Ahh.....yeah, but that is how you know something is well built.....when it does nor break from abuse and no maintenance....

That way if you get one in reasonable shape, some attention here and there will have it likely run forever....

greggy said:
Bcompton53 said:

Ahh.....yeah, but that is how you know something is well built.....when it does nor break from abuse and no maintenance....

That way if you get one in reasonable shape, some attention here and there will have it likely run forever....

Yeah, but if it runs forever....you never have to buy a new one. Where's the profit in that!?

Yeah, not much if it does not break every 5 mins.....but you can see it creates a loyal following.....and forever may be a bit "loose". 😀

Latest posts