Most efficent cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
In your opinion what would be the most efficent cattle or crossbred cattle in my area.
Our farm is one hour east of Dallas, TX. We have 80% pasture of 125 acres. It gets very hot in the summer here. We do not supplement feed our cattle, they are all grass fed. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Black cattle (angus mixes) sale higher at the sale barns here but in my opinion arent as efficent as other types of cattle. Give me your opinion on what would be the best type to feed less but still keep a good score, regardless on what sales highest at the sale barn. I love other peoples opinions on this sort of thing. Let the battle begin.

I hear Red Polls gain 5 pounds a day on grasshopper legs and dirt. Then they grade Prime with a Yield Grade of 1. Best cattle around bar none! I think there is a guy on here who raises the best Red Polls in the U-S of A!

WichitaLineMan":1pj2cvwo said:
I hear Red Polls gain 5 pounds a day on grasshopper legs and dirt. Then they grade Prime with a Yield Grade of 1. Best cattle around bar none! I think there is a guy on here who raises the best Red Polls in the U-S of A!

Now you need to get it right, It is 5 pounds a day on dirt but when you add the grasshopper legs they gain 6 pounds a day.

Jovid":3p61gmp3 said:
WichitaLineMan":3p61gmp3 said:

Now you need to get it right, It is 5 pounds a day on dirt but when you add the grasshopper legs they gain 6 pounds a day.

Well, I tried.

You need a crossbred cow like a Santa Gertrudis, Brangus or Beefmaster and then breed them to English (Hereford, Angus, Shorthorn or a Red Poll like Jovid raises) or a Continental breed (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh or Limousin). The cow will have enough Brahman influence to be environmentally adapted and yet the calf when crossed to one of the type of bulls mentioned will be readily accepted by order buyers.

Pesonally, I like the red or black brockled faced calves produced by using a Hereford bull on the Gert or Brangus cow or a good yellow calf from a Charolais bull on a Beefmaster cow. Those type calves can fit nearly every order and can be fed in the Texas panhandle or have enough hair to go on feed up north.

Betcha the brangus cattle running with a good hereford bull would turn out some calves that should really ring the bell in your area.

TexasBred":1bhtyi9g said:
Betcha the brangus cattle running with a good hereford bull would turn out some calves that should really ring the bell in your area.
if i ever get down to Texas i want to see that dam bell ya'll talk about..... i ask the owner of our barn to see theirs.. they looked at me like a calf at a new gate :p

alacattleman":9lm98nzl said:
TexasBred":9lm98nzl said:
if i ever get down to Texas i want to see that dam bell ya'll talk about..... i ask the owner of our barn to see theirs.. they looked at me like a calf at a new gate :p
ROFLMAOOOO....bammy...you just gotta have a little imagination and hope there is a "bell ringer" there the same day you are. :lol2: :lol2:

Pure Brahman are number one for efficiency.
Pure Hereford run a close race.
F1 Brafords, the queen of cattle country, are the best all around for profitability if you don't want to play the registered game.

Just go to the thread "Its been awhile" and you will see some excellent examples of the type of cattle I was talking about that would be ideally suited to your area.

Latest posts