more warts???

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I saw Holly's post about warts, and just the last two weeks I've had a heifer develop what appears to be the same. Below is a pic of her.

Seems like I remember my dad about 15 or so years ago having trouble with 6 or 8 of his heifers and it went away after a while.

Suggestions???

warts.jpg

It's been about 4 or 5 years since any of mine had warts (of course, I've now just jinxed that). I just let it ride itself out. The warts went away in time and never did cause any problems.

Katherine

I have a heifer that has some warts like that on one ear. Only one ear - vet thought it might be related to the bangs tag/tattoo - and it doesn't appear overly contagious. None of the other calves she's running with are showing any signs of warts, and so long as they don't spread I'm not worrying about it or even going to bother with it.

Workinonit Farm":30b8nuwr said:
It's been about 4 or 5 years since any of mine had warts (of course, I've now just jinxed that). I just let it ride itself out. The warts went away in time and never did cause any problems.

Katherine

how long exactly is "in time"?

Warts are usually as a result of a parvovirus invading through minor wuonds, including tattoo and hypodermic punctures. Papilloma causing parvovirus are host specific so will not affect people or other stock. The cold weather possibly keeps the virus viable as these infections are more prevalent in winter. The warts will be gone in a few months, once the cattle immune system 'kicks in'.

we have those and our vet told us to just rip them off with needle noes pliers that how we deal with those and sometimes they grow back soemtiems they dont

we have those and our vet told us to just rip them off with needle noes pliers that how we deal with those and sometimes they grow back soemtiems they dont

One of the show steers at the barn had huge warts, all over his face and such, they cut them off, but if was not long before they were back again, but they eventually went away after about 4 months or so. If you want to get rid of them now, you can coat them in a thick layer of oil or petroleom jelly (daily), to smother them. I have also heard that to prevent them from coming back to cut the wart up and feed to the cow, :shock: which is supposed to build up immunity to it, but I have not attempted this. Good Luck with the heifer! :D

they'll go away on their own. anywhere from 2 weeks on up. probably more like 2 months...

Hi, New to this board and to farming. Looked at photo and I have the same thing on the face of one heifer about the size of half dollar and have another with one on its side about half the size of my fist. They are lumpy and gray in color and appear to be getting bigger. Has been worrying me. Appeared after I weaned them and put into a field they had never been in around August of 05. Just pay no attention and hope for the best I guess. Thanks, for the info, poorboy12

One of my daughters show heifers got warts last year. To get rid of them, we went to the local pharmacy and bought the new wart freeze kit, somethin like 17.00 and treated them. They fell off in about 4 or 5 days, healed up nicely in time for the show.

If you wanna get rid of the warts quicker just pinch them with a pair of pliers till it bleeds. You don't have to pull the wart off.

bif

Latest posts