More than hay in winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Does anyone here give their mama cows more than just hay in the winter, whether it be corn, dry feed, silage, etc, especially if you are expecting them to be bred in the winter months? From my own experience, hay keeps them alive and looking good, but is it enough for top notch nutrition during the winter?

Generally we just feed hay. Depending on the year we may also have 'Greenfeed' (crop such as oats or barley that is cut before it ripens). We very rarely feed any grain to the cow herd, and that includes our bred heifers. If we have a problem animal, we may keep it in and supplement with grain.

If your cows go into winter in reasonable condition (I like them to be about a BCS of 6) and your hay is fairly good quality, there is no reason that I can see to supplement them with any sort of grain.

I do expect mine to get bred in winter or early spring. I keep the protein syrup out pretty much the whole time I'm feeding hay. Partially because I don't fertilize my hay field, so I don't expect the protein level to be very good.

The average hay produced in my area will not meet the needs of cattle in the last trimester or after calving.

CSM":vo4soeuk said:
The average hay produced in my area will not meet the needs of cattle in the last trimester or after calving.

I'm from KY, so you've peaked my interest. Are you talking fescue and orchard grass?

I see the first cutting of fescue in June every year all around me. The second cutting with the sage is not any better.

I feed good hay. 12% or better protein. Winter grazing for pairs. 4 pounds of WCS per had every 3rd day to bred cows. (Every other day if we hit a cold spell)

My hay is mostly fescue with bluegrass and clovers. I figure it isn't good enough on it's own without supplementing with some feed. I have been feeding a 12% mix of soy hulls, corn gluten, cracked corn, and dried distillers grain, at about 3-4 lbs. per head per day. From what I see most folks around here don't feed their cows anything but similar quality hay. I would be afraid that it would be a disaster if I tried that, I like to keep my cattle in good shape.

Supplemented cows one or two winters with screening pellets 20 years ago. Neighbors got Dad talked into feeding cows a little extra to keep them well covered - it was a fad at the time - bringing cheap pellets in from MN. Absolute waste of money - Dad's cows never suffered from being too thin. Fortunately screenings are cheap, so it wasn't a terribly expensive venture.

Give me easy fleshing, hairy cows and 8-10% protein hay and we're good to go. I know some cows that are on premium alfalfa hay and corn silage all winter long and still look like thin sticks come calving.

Have supplemented replacement heifers, after weaning and through winter with a 16% protein grain mix, for many years - but as management practices and genetics change, I have been moving away from that as well.

herofan":3lcj7rsz said:
Does anyone here give their mama cows more than just hay in the winter, whether it be corn, dry feed, silage, etc, especially if you are expecting them to be bred in the winter months? From my own experience, hay keeps them alive and looking good, but is it enough for top notch nutrition during the winter?
Being in Texas..... No .... BUT .... I can grow winter forage. I am not overstocked and can grow enough for them to eat.

herofan":hx9y0jya said:

I could keep mine on grass all winter but I don't I save some to be ahead of them in the spring. I feed hay and grain in the winter and feed grain with the grass all year round.

If the snow/ice prevents them from eating stockpile we feed hay/baleage. If that's all they have the last month before calving I'll put out a tub. As soon as the calve they are back to just stockpile or hay/baleage.

Latest posts