more than 1000 steers stolen in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

One or 1,000.00 a theft is a theft and a thief is a thief. Last time I checked we didn't size theft when we meet our maker.

kjonesel":1bxbe9ov said:
One or 1,000.00 a theft is a theft and a thief is a thief. Last time I checked we didn't size theft when we meet our maker.

Well you have to put some of the blame on the owners. No telling how long they've been missing. They could be in the food supply already.

I don't doubt that some were stolen but I'd bet it was in the low hundreds and the rest is crappy management. I have a customer with 9,800 milking that raises the steers up to weaning weight and keeps a few bulls for cleanup in the pregnant pens and none of the bulls or steers have a tag in their ear. If one dies it just goes on the pile and never gets reported but they are still on inventory as they were recorded in on the day they were born and on inventory day they come up short. :bang:
I've seen lots and lots of inventory screw-ups in fifteen years of working on dairies. Especially when inventory is only annual. I only know of one true case of theft that was proven and even then it was proven to be much much less than the number that was reported stolen.

cow pollinater":3nipx2sv said:
I don't doubt that some were stolen but I'd bet it was in the low hundreds and the rest is crappy management. I have a customer with 9,800 milking that raises the steers up to weaning weight and keeps a few bulls for cleanup in the pregnant pens and none of the bulls or steers have a tag in their ear. If one dies it just goes on the pile and never gets reported but they are still on inventory as they were recorded in on the day they were born and on inventory day they come up short. :bang:
I've seen lots and lots of inventory screw-ups in fifteen years of working on dairies. Especially when inventory is only annual. I only know of one true case of theft that was proven and even then it was proven to be much much less than the number that was reported stolen.
We had a oair if idiots steal 15 bred Holstein heifers. The advertised them in the paper. A neighbor happened to go look at them and saw they still had the tags from the dairy in their ears. They are currently living rent free with the state.

crimsoncrazy":23dur3kf said:
kjonesel":23dur3kf said:

Well you have to put some of the blame on the owners. No telling how long they've been missing. They could be in the food supply already.
You know something Crimson....an owner shouldn't have to walk around watching every dam move being made on the place. You would think a few people would have a bit of honesty about them and work for what they agreed to work for...not what they could steal.

chippie":9qvy3fk6 said:
theft of 1,121 head of Holstein/Jersey cross steer calves

I bet that the theft happened over a period of time. Stealing here and there. They noticed them gone when they were doing inventory of their stock

http://tscra.org/news_releases_blog/?p=1119

You can bet the Rangers will catch them.
Can't move that many head without a lot of people knowing.

I'd have to agree with Cow Pollinator. I know quite a few people who have been around that operation through the years. Judging from stories they tell, I'd guess maybe a few stolen but the majority are probably unreported death loss.

Latest posts