More Pics Form the BC Interior

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm":188gg7q9 said:
True Grit Farms":188gg7q9 said:
Bright Raven":188gg7q9 said:
gcreekrch ask me to post these. He thought True Grit might have some more tips on raising cattle in the Northern Reaches of the Canadian Provinces.
Nope I know very little about raising cattle, and nothing about raising cattle in the north. But I can tell everyone one thing, so far from what I can tell Artesianspringsfarm's is the man when it comes to raising cattle in the north. And I don't care for those bulls either, but they work good for him and that's all that matters.

Vince, I know you mean that as a compliment, but I think gcreek has cows that have lived longer than I've been raising beef cows. :) We also have very different goals. I really love to see other cold-weather farms and ranches on here and learn from all of them. Just judging from the phenotype of the bulls and what I've seen so far, I think gcreek's goal of the ideal cow is pretty similar to mine in a lot of ways. The bulls from his herd look like low input critters that make for hardy, maternal females. I respect that. My guess is he doesn't sell any finished grassfed beef like I do.

The guy who I really enjoyed seeing and hearing his opinions on cold-weather, low input beef cattle is AllForage.
Yes it was a compliment, very few cattlemen can walk the walk and you and your cattle do. Your bull is moderate and he isn't something that I would use, but he works for you and is what you and your customers need. Very few on here worry about the most important part of raising cattle, the eating part, you breed for that. Other people have barns for their cows to calve in, your cows and calves don't know what a barn is. When it's bitter cold and snowing a lot of the cattlemen supplement their cows with feed and bedding, you give them hay to eat and nothing more. People talk about harsh weather and snow, your area holds the record for annual snow fall. And the best that I can tell no one on here knows how to market their cattle the way you do. And to top it off your cows work for you, instead of the other way around. Your definitely not the biggest operation, but you ain't playing second fiddle to anyone. IMO

True Grit Farms":3opaix3a said:
artesianspringsfarm":3opaix3a said:

Vince, I know you mean that as a compliment, but I think gcreek has cows that have lived longer than I've been raising beef cows. :) We also have very different goals. I really love to see other cold-weather farms and ranches on here and learn from all of them. Just judging from the phenotype of the bulls and what I've seen so far, I think gcreek's goal of the ideal cow is pretty similar to mine in a lot of ways. The bulls from his herd look like low input critters that make for hardy, maternal females. I respect that. My guess is he doesn't sell any finished grassfed beef like I do.

The guy who I really enjoyed seeing and hearing his opinions on cold-weather, low input beef cattle is AllForage.
Yes it was a compliment, very few cattlemen can walk the walk and you and your cattle do. Your bull is moderate and he isn't something that I would use, but he works for you and is what you and your customers need. Very few on here worry about the most important part of raising cattle, the eating part, you breed for that. Other people have barns for their cows to calve in, your cows and calves don't know what a barn is. When it's bitter cold and snowing a lot of the cattlemen supplement their cows with feed and bedding, you give them hay to eat and nothing more. People talk about harsh weather and snow, your area holds the record for annual snow fall. And the best that I can tell no one on here knows how to market their cattle the way you do. And to top it off your cows work for you, instead of the other way around. Your definitely not the biggest operation, but you ain't playing second fiddle to anyone. IMO

It's winters like this one where I wonder if the ideal in my head is really even possible but as far as I can tell, low input cattle finished all the way to a premium end market is the only way for me to make it where I am and at the scale I am at. So, that being said, -20 windchills for the past week, and here was dinner for ALL cattle, just like every other day :)

He gcreek, you ever check bixsco.com to see how your cattle finish? Not too relevant now since they haven't provided data since 2014 but what data they have is kinda interesting nonetheless. Hopefully they come to an agreement soon with the packing plants to continue providing data, I think it is a good way to get an idea of the direction we are going with our breeding decisions.

Silver":18e372w1 said:
He gcreek, you ever check bixsco.com to see how your cattle finish? Not too relevant now since they haven't provided data since 2014 but what data they have is kinda interesting nonetheless. Hopefully they come to an agreement soon with the packing plants to continue providing data, I think it is a good way to get an idea of the direction we are going with our breeding decisions.

Never. The two years our calves went to the Manning Hutterite colony and a couple of others that disclosed their information let me know they worked.

I have always believed if you manage for good females the steer end usually works out fine. ;-)

gcreekrch":3aea3168 said:
Silver":3aea3168 said:

Never. The two years our calves went to the Manning Hutterite colony and a couple of others that disclosed their information let me know they worked.

I have always believed if you manage for good females the steer end usually works out fine. ;-)
Have you found that some cows can raise good steers, but never make a decent heifer, while the cows that do make good heifers will never fail you on a steer either?

I was looking at the map this morning, trying to figure out where you'd be, I guess on the east side of Tweedsmuir?
20 years ago we had a pipe dream of buying the Chezacut.. some nice (but cold and remote) country.. was $3mil back then, probably about 30mil now.

True Grit Farms":myj8h56c said:
1. few cattlemen can walk the walk and you and your cattle do.

2. Very few on here worry about the most important thing, the eating part. I think you mean carcass quality.

3. Other people have barns for their cows to calve in, your cows and calves don't know what a barn is.

4. People talk about harsh weather and snow, your area holds the record for annual snow fall.

5. And the best that I can tell no one on here knows how to market their cattle the way you do.

6. And to top it off your cows work for you, instead of the other way around.

7. ...you ain't playing second fiddle to anyone.

1. Walkin and talkin has nothing to do with it. Profitability is a better metric.

2. Where is your data to support the statement that no one else here worries about carcass quality? Did you conduct a poll?

3. Not having a barn makes you a better cattleperson? Say what!!!!! Profitability is a better metric.

4. Thanks for the climate report.

5. Where is your data to support the statement that no one else here knows how to market cattle? Did you conduct a poll?

6. Does he include a vacation in their benefit package. You use that line so much Vince, it means nothing; only rhetoric.

7. Congratulations on playing a fiddle.

Bright Raven":1xevdae0 said:
True Grit Farms":1xevdae0 said:

2. Very few on here worry about the most important thing, the eating part. I think you mean carcass quality.

3. Other people have barns for their cows to calve in, your cows and calves don't know what a barn is.

4. People talk about harsh weather and snow, your area holds the record for annual snow fall.

5. And the best that I can tell no one on here knows how to market their cattle the way you do.

1. Walkin and talkin has nothing to do with it. Profitability is a better metric.

2. Where is your data to support the statement that no one else here worries about carcass quality? Did you conduct a poll?

3. Not having a barn makes you a better cattleperson? Say what!!!!! Profitability is a better metric.

5. Where is your data to support the statement that no one else here knows how to market cattle? Did you conduct a poll?

6. Does he include a vacation in their benefit package. You use that line so much Vince, it means nothing; only rhetoric.

First your an idiot.

1. I don't know you from Adams house cat, but I've probably been to more cattle operations than you. Even with your government supported EPA harassment job.
2. I didn't say no one else, you think like a liberal.
3. Didn't say that either, liberal.
4. Your welcome, just stating facts, which is something a liberal can't comprehend.
5. No poll, I just read between the lines. I'm sure some folks sell directly to the public, but best that I can tell from reading on CT no one markets their cattle like he does. If Artesianspringsfarm's wants to discuss his sales strategy, that's his business.
6. Again just stating facts, he can and does leave his cows, no petting or babysitting required there.
7. Again never stated that I played the fiddle.
I can make myself look like a idiot without your help, thanks for trying though. And if your going to make me look like a idiot please use my words in the context that I used them in.

True Grit Farms":2s5ox0da said:
Bright Raven":2s5ox0da said:
True Grit Farms":2s5ox0da said:

First your an idiot.

1. I don't know you from Adams house cat, but I've probably been to more cattle operations than you. Even with your government supported EPA harassment job.
2. I didn't say no one else, you think like a liberal.
3. Didn't say that either, liberal.
4. Your welcome, just stating facts, which is something a liberal can't comprehend.
5. No poll, I just read between the lines. I'm sure some folks sell directly to the public, but best that I can tell from reading on CT no one markets their cattle like he does. If Artesianspringsfarm's wants to discuss his sales strategy, that's his business.
6. Again just stating facts, he can and does leave his cows, no petting or babysitting required there.
7. Again never stated that I played the fiddle.
I can make myself look like a idiot without your help, thanks for trying though. And if your going to make me look like a idiot please use my words in the context that I used them in.

So. Anyone can read. You resort to the security of your 'liberal' label. No facts, just rhetoric. Vince, you are a buffoon.

Edited to add. On my oath as a gentleman, I am not trying to make you look like an idiot. You are not. In fact, on occasion, you are quite lucid. It is one thing to be candid, it is another to be indiscreet.

Dogs and Cows":5oh7owh3 said:
Hey Ron, to be honest, I don't know how you came up with your response like that when Vince was only complementing another operation...it was just his opinion...and it seems like a pretty good one... artesianspringsfarm does seem like a very nice operation and one for many to try to duplicate. Anyway, your response really caught me off guard...and kinda inappropriate...

I disagree. Has nothing to do with Artesianspringsfarm. Vince makes comparisons with other Users that he cannot support.

I agree. A User has every right to express their opinions. So do I. I stand by my post.

If you follow Vince as close I do, you know he goes beyond being candid. He is free with his opinions, today, I was free with mine. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Nesikep":19jebb66 said:
gcreekrch":19jebb66 said:
Silver":19jebb66 said:

Have you found that some cows can raise good steers, but never make a decent heifer, while the cows that do make good heifers will never fail you on a steer either?

I was looking at the map this morning, trying to figure out where you'd be, I guess on the east side of Tweedsmuir?
20 years ago we had a pipe dream of buying the Chezacut.. some nice (but cold and remote) country.. was $3mil back then, probably about 30mil now.

Yes to your first question and a cow that raises a good steer might disappoint you when you leave her calf intact also.

We are 70 miles as the crow flies west of Chezacut.160 miles by road. It is one of the best 3 swamp meadow ranches in the Chilcotin.

Dogs and Cows":1psowos2 said:
gcreekrch and silver...couple of questions for you...I'm here on the east coast...North Carolina. I see a lot of bulls here that are really meaty...big and heavy. Don't look like they can travel far...but then again they don't have to here. My personal preference is a bull that is more "athletic" looking...something that can cover territory...muscular...but carries it differently...like the difference between a linebacker and a offensive lineman. Do you run bulls that are more "athletic" and cover a lot of ground? I'd love to hear your thoughts on bulls. Also, I think you are from the area where a series of books were written...by Richmond Hobson? Grass Beyond the Mountains...that series. Absolutely fantastic series of books about the early days of raising cattle up there...have you heard of it, and by chance did you know Mr. Hobson?

As TT said earlier...very glad to have your knowledge on the boards!

Tim

Bulls tend to adapt to their environment if feed is offered in abundance they will get big quick. Here, with what I am prepared to feed them, it can take 6 or 7 years to accheive full growth. Lots of times they are crippled or gotten bad to handle or culled for some other reason before that time. I sold a ton bull last year but most barely reach 1900 when they are in good flesh. A bull can be thick and still very athletic. Sometimes those "athletic" calves don't bring the top dollars at sale time.

I never met Rich but met Pan, knew Lester Dorsey, Tommy Holte , Alfred Bryant Thomas Squinas and a few other old timers when I first came to this area chasing who became my wife. Our oldest son is named after Lester and many of these families have members that still live here and are close friends.

Sugarloaf Mountain, where Hobson's horses Nimpo and Stuyve came from is visible from our ranch and not far away.

Apparently Rich was a good story teller. I asked Tommy once about the books. Tommy wouldn't say bad about anyone but he did say Rich could go fishing for an hour, see a butterfly and write a full length book. Most of the stories have truth to them but characters are a little different and numbers of cattle maybe weren't quite all there. It is a tough area to ranch in and was a lot tougher back then.

This is Pan's daughter, know her well. https://49thshelf.com/Books/B/Beyond-the-Home-Ranch2

Another author to search is Dude Lavington. His two books are great reads and very close to the truth.

There are another couple books about Pan but I can't recall the author.

Latest posts