More Pics Form the BC Interior

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
gcreekrch ask me to post these. He thought True Grit might have some more tips on raising cattle in the Northern Reaches of the Canadian Provinces.

jifi9u.jpg

102l0nb.jpg

of59wx.jpg

2urwlj9.jpg

dcvfvk.jpg

zit5wn.jpg

First photo is one of our bale processor. An old friend whose welding shop kept this country glued together for years passed in early December. He built a lot of these rollers.

Second is our black cow herd on a new feed ground.

The rest are just random photos of bulls. We have a lot of money tied up in the two Hereford bulls. Their calves are great but the bulls are still having difficulty acclimating after nearly 2 years here.

Bright Raven":229fazyf said:
gcreekrch ask me to post these. He thought True Grit might have some more tips on raising cattle in the Northern Reaches of the Canadian Provinces.
Nope I know very little about raising cattle, and nothing about raising cattle in the north. But I can tell everyone one thing, so far from what I can tell Artesianspringsfarm's is the man when it comes to raising cattle in the north. And I don't care for those bulls either, but they work good for him and that's all that matters.
jifi9u.jpg

102l0nb.jpg

of59wx.jpg

2urwlj9.jpg

dcvfvk.jpg

zit5wn.jpg

gcreekrch":1la21otn said:
First photo is one of our bale processor. An old friend whose welding shop kept this country glued together for years passed in early December. He built a lot of these rollers.

The rest are just random photos of bulls. We have a lot of money tied up in the two Hereford bulls. Their calves are great but the bulls are still having difficulty acclimating after nearly 2 years here.

Where did the bulls come from?

TennesseeTuxedo":1donlwh3 said:
gcreekrch":1donlwh3 said:

As it is a delicate subject at present I would rather not disclose. I will say it is my opinion that markets have dictated to bull producers that fat bulls sell better. This is not a good thing in the long run.

gcreekrch":26ftjr9p said:
TennesseeTuxedo":26ftjr9p said:
gcreekrch":26ftjr9p said:

As it is a delicate subject at present I would rather not disclose. I will say it is my opinion that markets have dictated to bull producers that fat bulls sell better. This is not a good thing in the long run.

If by fat you mean over conditioned I agree 100%. I wasn't expecting you to disclose the identity of the seller and I understand perfectly well your position on not doing so. I was mainly curious about whether or not they were developed in a similar climate.

You're a welcome addition to the boards by the way. I enjoy your posts.

True Grit Farms":3crraych said:
Bright Raven":3crraych said:
Nope I know very little about raising cattle, and nothing about raising cattle in the north. But I can tell everyone one thing, so far from what I can tell Artesianspringsfarm's is the man when it comes to raising cattle in the north. And I don't care for those bulls either, but they work good for him and that's all that matters.

Vince, I know you mean that as a compliment, but I think gcreek has cows that have lived longer than I've been raising beef cows. :) We also have very different goals. I really love to see other cold-weather farms and ranches on here and learn from all of them. Just judging from the phenotype of the bulls and what I've seen so far, I think gcreek's goal of the ideal cow is pretty similar to mine in a lot of ways. The bulls from his herd look like low input critters that make for hardy, maternal females. I respect that. My guess is he doesn't sell any finished grassfed beef like I do.

The guy who I really enjoyed seeing and hearing his opinions on cold-weather, low input beef cattle is AllForage.

artesianspringsfarm":bvjpwf0i said:
Vince, I know you mean that as a compliment, but I think gcreek has cows that have lived longer than I've been raising beef cows. :) We also have very different goals. I really love to see other cold-weather farms and ranches on here and learn from all of them. Just judging from the phenotype of the bulls and what I've seen so far, I think gcreek's goal of the ideal cow is pretty similar to mine in a lot of ways. The bulls from his herd look like low input critters that make for hardy, maternal females. I respect that. My guess is he doesn't sell any finished grassfed beef like I do.

The guy who I really enjoyed seeing and hearing his opinions on cold-weather, low input beef cattle is AllForage.

I had Ryan's email address. I heard from him a couple of times after he was banned. He did have strong opinions on inputs. He was a Hereford guy.

Hereford76":1rj1o9z1 said:
I'm curious how a pedigree would read on a Hereford bull that you'd invest in...

Papers don't mean much to me Ace. Thickness, moderation of frame and his momma are more important considerations here.

Yours are good ones too.

TennesseeTuxedo":14qrhyib said:
gcreekrch":14qrhyib said:
TennesseeTuxedo":14qrhyib said:

If by fat you mean over conditioned I agree 100%. I wasn't expecting you to disclose the identity of the seller and I understand perfectly well your position on not doing so. I was mainly curious about whether or not they were developed in a similar climate.

You're a welcome addition to the boards by the way. I enjoy your posts.

They came from nearly the same latitude but where barley is cheap.

Thank you.

artesianspringsfarm":2vyufdsh said:
True Grit Farms":2vyufdsh said:
Bright Raven":2vyufdsh said:

Very correct. We are doing just fine selling to the commodity markets. We know our steer calves will push 5 lbs ADG in the feedlot and those that have fed them before know that also. Length and thickness weigh far more that distance from the ground. ;-)

I have enough trouble being nice enough to customers who buy 45 dressed lambs from me and a couple of beeves to ever think I want to go that way 100%. :D

Thanks for the compliments.

Bright Raven":laipf325 said:
artesianspringsfarm":laipf325 said:

I had Ryan's email address. I heard from him a couple of times after he was banned. He did have strong opinions on inputs. He was a Hereford guy.

I thought he quit? Never heard he was banned.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ui6lzbx said:
Bright Raven":1ui6lzbx said:
artesianspringsfarm":1ui6lzbx said:

I thought he quit? Never heard he was banned.

No. He got banned. I am sure it was a forage related disagreement. He was passionate on that subject. He told me he needed to concentrate on other things so he was not upset.

gizmom":1kc8xwp1 said:
Nice cattle, I can't even imagine the cold your dealing with. Thanks for the peek into your part of the world.

Gizmom

It was warm enough to rain here yesterday. Back to freezing today.

Latest posts