More Bull pics - first new grass of the year

Help Support CattleToday:

Well - I'm finally catching up & read this thread - but there aren't any PICTURES!!!
We all make excuses for our cattle if we "really really" like them. But, even without pictures, I know if we have to trim feet - there is a problem. If it's from feed, it's probably foundered. But, with Jim's feeding program, you would have to "assume" it was genetics.
Jim has learned a lot in a very short time - and he is still learning. Keep posting pics.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":31tkiq9z said:
Well - I'm finally catching up & read this thread - but there aren't any PICTURES!!!
We all make excuses for our cattle if we "really really" like them. But, even without pictures, I know if we have to trim feet - there is a problem. If it's from feed, it's probably foundered. But, with Jim's feeding program, you would have to "assume" it was genetics.
Jim has learned a lot in a very short time - and he is still learning. Keep posting pics.

I think he is probably mad and they run him off. Hard to take the heat around here sometimes. He did have long toes. I dont know if it is genetic or not. He has a wonderfull system in place for raising them and they always look their best but if it is genetics he needs to start over

Thanks for the concern but I don't get "run off" very easily. I do get tired of folks piling on. Maybe they need more to do. I have seen the point. Believe me I have spent a lot of time looking a bull's feet lately!

However there is no bull that's perfect, at least ones I can afford. I removed all pictures because I am tired of the continued BS. JHH and Jeanne make another good point - there is nothing unusual with trimming hooves. It seems like almost everyday I see a pickup on the roads pulling a hoof trimming setup.

Is it diet or genetics or environment (dont wear them down) or a combination of all three? In my case probably the combination. Even my totally unrelated cows tend to have longer hooves than I see elsewhere. I have also seen a hoof trimming make a huge/night and day difference in the way a bull stands and walks.

In looking at both my T021 calves and cows with their own calves and U070 I do not see any obvious tendency to walking on the back of the foot. Certainly not any tendency worth all the typing and personal side taking that has gone on here.

I hate to make this reply because of the danger of restarting the entire matter. I appreciate and can accept constructive criticism and suggestions. Heaven knows I receive enough of both being married to the same woman of German/Italian descent for 40 years (in a couple weeks) and with 8 kids!

Every once in a while though I believe we all need to stand back and draw a line and say that's enough. My bull supplier is an honest, knowledgeable cattleman who has supplied me with a couple bulls that met my needs at a fair price. He did not load me down with defective genetics. Are these bulls perfect - no absolutely not. But they are darn good with the exception of perhaps fast growing hooves. Is that a serious flaw in a calving ease, good growth, very fertile/good scrotal, easy doing bull with good beef (U070)? I guess it depends on your point of view.

I appreciate the job Jerry Huth has done for me and will buy my bulls from him. The danger to posting a lot of 3rd party test data, videos etc of your sale bulls is that it opens the gates to detractors. But that is one risk to being open, fair and honest.

I will post pictures when I think they show something interesting. I don't get "run off" very easily or we would never have made it through 8 kids. FWIW.

Thanks Jeanne and JHH.

Jim

SRBeef":phded2wp said:
Thanks for the concern but I don't get "run off" very easily. I do get tired of folks piling on. Maybe they need more to do. I have seen the point. Believe me I have spent a lot of time looking a bull's feet lately!

However there is no bull that's perfect, at least ones I can afford. I removed all pictures because I am tired of the continued BS. JHH and Jeanne make another good point - there is nothing unusual with trimming hooves. It seems like almost everyday I see a pickup on the roads pulling a hoof trimming setup.

Is it diet or genetics or environment (dont wear them down) or a combination of all three? In my case probably the combination. Even my totally unrelated cows tend to have longer hooves than I see elsewhere. I have also seen a hoof trimming make a huge/night and day difference in the way a bull stands and walks.

In looking at both my T021 calves and cows with their own calves and U070 I do not see any obvious tendency to walking on the back of the foot. Certainly not any tendency worth all the typing and personal side taking that has gone on here.

I hate to make this reply because of the danger of restarting the entire matter. I appreciate and can accept constructive criticism and suggestions. Heaven knows I receive enough of both being married to the same woman of German/Italian :help: descent for 40 years (in a couple weeks) and with 8 kids!

Every once in a while though I believe we all need to stand back and draw a line and say that's enough. My bull supplier is an honest, knowledgeable cattleman who has supplied me with a couple bulls that met my needs at a fair price. He did not load me down with defective genetics. Are these bulls perfect - no absolutely not. But they are darn good with the exception of perhaps fast growing hooves. Is that a serious flaw in a calving ease, good growth, very fertile/good scrotal, easy doing bull with good beef (U070)? I guess it depends on your point of view.

I appreciate the job Jerry Huth has done for me and will buy my bulls from him. The danger to posting a lot of 3rd party test data, videos etc of your sale bulls is that it opens the gates to detractors. But that is one risk to being open, fair and honest.

I will post pictures when I think they show something interesting. I don't get "run off" very easily or we would never have made it through 8 kids. FWIW.

Thanks Jeanne and JHH.

Jim

Well then Jim I guess you have suffered enough, we should all leave you alone about the stupid hoof problem. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:
Happy Anniversary

I guess I have to chime in here, only because I am STILL P**ssed off about an incident between SRBeef and myself.

We had made an agreement that I would purchase 2 of his bred Herefords back when he was heading out into ND to buy that expensive show heifer. Basically the agreement was made, price was agreed on, and he said he'd deliver them as he was coming this way with a trailer anyway. All of a sudden, he has blocked me on Cattle Today Forum. I can't message him, I can't PM him and I don't know what the HE!! is going on....

I figured he had changed his mind and sold them to someone else for more money. Or he got bent out of shape for some stupid little thing (Like he did at Harley) and doesn't have the decency or cojones to let me know what was going on, or WHY he changed his mind!!

Either way, I figure I have nothing to learn from someone with a short fuse like that. He likes to brag, and he likes everyone to OOOH and AWWW over his cow and bull pictures and pastures but man if someone has a bit of a negative comment to make (no MATTER HOW TRUE) he pitches a hissy and gets rude.

I still enjoy most of the posts on here, and I still come back to read but HE is one of the reasons I generally don't participate anymore.

I always figured that a man's word was good as gold but I sure found out that HIS wasn't or isn't.

I bought cows somewhere else and didn't have to put up with that crap.

Jim I would think that since you're in Wisconsin 99% of those trimming tables are going to dairies. Foot problems are always a problem on dairies... a never ending situation and most of it is caused by diet. I have no more comments to make about the bull, however, I would reevaluate the practice of feeding standing corn.

LazyARanch":3teyyhqg said:
I guess I have to chime in here, only because I am STILL P**ssed off about an incident between SRBeef and myself.

We had made an agreement that I would purchase 2 of his bred Herefords back when he was heading out into ND to buy that expensive show heifer. Basically the agreement was made, price was agreed on, and he said he'd deliver them as he was coming this way with a trailer anyway. All of a sudden, he has blocked me on Cattle Today Forum. I can't message him, I can't PM him and I don't know what the HE!! is going on....

I figured he had changed his mind and sold them to someone else for more money. Or he got bent out of shape for some stupid little thing (Like he did at Harley) and doesn't have the decency or cojones to let me know what was going on, or WHY he changed his mind!!

Either way, I figure I have nothing to learn from someone with a short fuse like that. He likes to brag, and he likes everyone to OOOH and AWWW over his cow and bull pictures and pastures but man if someone has a bit of a negative comment to make (no MATTER HOW TRUE) he pitches a hissy and gets rude.

I still enjoy most of the posts on here, and I still come back to read but HE is one of the reasons I generally don't participate anymore.

I always figured that a man's word was good as gold but I sure found out that HIS wasn't or isn't.

I have stayed out of this one...
But OUCH.
That hurts either way.

Jim the only thing wrong with your herd is they aren't in my pasture. No yours aren't perfect but no herd is. If the truth was known about all of the herds on these boards I bet yours would come much much closer to the top than even average.

jedstivers":2lyhvmk5 said:
Jim the only thing wrong with your herd is they aren't in my pasture. No yours aren't perfect but no herd is. If the truth was known about all of the herds on these boards I bet yours would come much much closer to the top than even average.

I agree... he's got some fine cattle. Which is why I made the deal to buy his 2 big cows.

jedstivers":2qlbgy4s said:

I also agree, but if there ARE feet issues then get it taken care of now not later. I dont know, I have never seen his herd in person, I do think his bull has long toes. Will trimming fix it? I think so as long as he keeps getting them trimmed. I dont think trimming them once will fix him. I think it will be a every year or so deal.

Jim your cows are plenty good and productive. The critism just comes with warning you to be careful on your breeding decisions. 1 bull can take you backwards farther than you can correct with 5 years of breeding. IMO

well lazy a if what your saying is true and i have no reason to to think it is not then that tells me a lot about what kind of a man he is jmho David

LazyARanch":3ph0qrtd said:

Either way, I figure I have nothing to learn from someone with a short fuse like that. He likes to brag, and he likes everyone to OOOH and AWWW over his cow and bull pictures and pastures but
man if someone has a bit of a negative comment to make (no MATTER HOW TRUE) he pitches a hissy and gets rude.

If the prosecution rests... Jim, would you like to cross examine? :lol:

angusdave63":2n5umomd said:
well lazy a if what your saying is true and i have no reason to to think it is not then that tells me a lot about what kind of a man he is jmho David
I'll tell you what kind of man he is. A few weeks ago I ordered some parts from the business he works for and the next day they were here with a discount that he didn't say anything about and the shipping paid.

Isomade":2ofy0gki said:
LazyARanch":2ofy0gki said:

I figured he had changed his mind and sold them to someone else for more money.
[emphasis mine-jim] Or he got bent out of shape for some stupid little thing (Like he did at Harley) and doesn't have the decency or cojones to let me know what was going on, or WHY he changed his mind!!

Either way, I figure I have nothing to learn from someone with a short fuse like that. He likes to brag, and he likes everyone to OOOH and AWWW over his cow and bull pictures and pastures but
man if someone has a bit of a negative comment to make (no MATTER HOW TRUE) he pitches a hissy and gets rude.

If the prosecution rests... Jim, would you like to cross examine? :lol:

I guess my track record in arguing with a woman is not good. Best thing to do in a case like this is plead "no contest".

I have no idea how this now gets brought up however in my own defense and LA's there must have been a misunderstanding there somewhere. I do not recall anything more than a discussion and maybe we could do that. Agreed on a price etc???? Wow. Alzheimers must be setting in fast. Probably a difference in perception. This was some time ago. Heck when a woman starts remembering stuff from some time ago it definitely is time to plead no contest. I thought only my wife brought up stuff from years ago...

LazyA, if it helps, I apologize for misunderstandings. I try to honor my commitments. I do not remember a final agreement of any sort. I am honored that you are so worked up about buying my bad-footed cattle. I wish I could get everyone that excited about buying products from my day job!

Please accept my apology and call a truce. Life is too short to carry these things around. And I truly believe there was a gross misunderstanding. I do not recall making any firm agreement other than "we'll see" type thing. I'm sure you feel you can prove me wrong but is that necessary.

By the way regarding your statements I emphasized above: 1) I never did drive into ND to PU that heifer, the seller ended up delivering her to WI (do you want the phone of the seller to confirm that?) 2) believe it or not I did NOT sell those heifers "for more money" somewhere else, I am not 100% sure which ones we were discussing but I have not sold ANY bred heifers to anyone ever. 3) My ag-related day job gets extremely busy this time of year. There was no ill will no other sales nor buyers. And at some times of the year I just can't spend any more time discussing things.

I ask for your forgiveness on a series of misunderstandings.

Regards,

Jim

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pzbmoe0 said:
The pics are at the beginning of the thread I believe......:)

Kingfisher, no they are not I have deleted most photos I have posted on this board. I may post some if I have some of general interest in the future.

However when the discussion tends to be talk about people rather than ideas or the subject matter, it is time to reevaluate how one spends the precious minutes we have been given on this earth. That does not = "run off". It means making choices about how one spends their limited time.

When I come back to see what's new here and find myself being accused of misdeeds and slandered by a woman I have never met nor did I feel I had any agreement with other than a general discussion in response to a message, even though she may have felt otherwise, on something that was some time ago, it raises questions about use of time.

Regards,

Jim

SRBeef":2ia0honk said:
Kingfisher, no they are not I have deleted most photos I have posted on this board. I may post some if I have some of general interest in the future.

However when the discussion tends to be talk about people rather than ideas or the subject matter, it is time to reevaluate how one spends the precious minutes we have been given on this earth. That does not = "run off". It means making choices about how one spends their limited time.

When I come back to see what's new here and find myself being accused of misdeeds and slandered by a woman I have never met nor did I feel I had any agreement with other than a general discussion in response to a message, even though she may have felt otherwise, on something that was some time ago, it raises questions about use of time.

Regards,

Jim
Hello. I have not read this entire thread but...............I have allways appreciated all your posts and input to this forum. I think you have a nice set of cows and are a honorable cowman..........that fact that others I respect here seem to lean that same way..........I would say all is good. :) God bless you.

Kingfisher":3fk0g46a said:
I have allways appreciated all your posts and input to this forum. I think you have a nice set of cows and are a honorable cowman..........that fact that others I respect here seem to lean that same way..........I would say all is good. :) God bless you.

Ditto!

SRBeef":1ttqqsxm said:
Kingfisher, no they are not I have deleted most photos I have posted on this board.

Regards,

Jim

If anyone has come to this thread LATE, and wants to see the two pictures of the U070 bull that started all the negative comments about the bull, I have located those in my "cache" and will e-mail them to you along with my comments about the bull - if you send me an e-mail to me directly requesting it.

Even though I feel confident I could actually repost them in this thread, using the "fair use" clause of Copyright Law, I won't - since I'm not the owner of this message board and I don't have the BOARD owner's expressed permission to do so.

George

Edited to clarify!

SRBeef":3a5mqy00 said:

Regards,

Jim

Well Jim I guess if she has some proof she will post it. If not then it is slander. Time will tell. This sure isn't the first time I have seen a situation where both parties saw things from a totally different perspective.
One thing is for sure though, I bet the next time you decide to tell someone off and throw away a friendship you will ask them to clarify exactly what they meant to say before you publically ream them................. :shock: .................. At least I know I would! ;-)

Latest posts