Montana ships 'instant ranch' to Russia

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Montana ships 'instant ranch' to Russia
By MATTHEW BROWN • Associated Press • December 17, 2010

BILLINGS — Cowboys, quarter-horses and 1,434 purebred beef cattle — just add grasslands and you've got a transplanted Montana ranch.

Those livestock basics — plus some training in animal care — are what Montana cattle producers have shipped to southwestern Russia, where the landscape is similar to the grassy high plains of eastern Montana. It's part of a Russian subsidized deal to make that country's cattle industry more self-sufficient.
"It's like an instant ranch," said Kate Loose, a representative of one of the Montana ranchers involved in the deal.
Most of the cattle departed by aircraft, with the last shipment due to touch down Thursday in Moscow before heading to Russia's Voronezh region.
The remainder — 545 cattle, five quarter-horses — plus a veterinarian from Choteau, went by boat to Stevenson Sputnik Ranch, a partnership between rancher Darrell Stevenson and Russian investors. That livestock also was due to land Thursday.
Montana agriculture officials said the shipment represents the state's largest overseas export of live cattle to date.
Work on the export deal began two years ago, during a trade mission to Russia that included Montana Agriculture Director Ron de Yong, Stevenson and Jack Holden, of Holden Herefords.
Russia has only about a half-million beef cattle but wants to sharply increase that figure in the next decade. Its government also has made cattle import deals with European countries, Canada and Australia, but de Yong said the how-to-ranch services provided by Stevenson could give Montana producers a future advantage.
"The potential is so huge, it's hard to put numbers on it," de Yong said.
Sara Stevenson, Darrell Stevenson's wife, said the Russians have a different way of handling cattle than Montana ranchers: No fences, fewer cattle per cowboy — and much more direct government involvement.
"Part of the subsidy is that they employ as many Russians as possible," she said. "And since there's no fences, instead of one cowboy, they need two to three herdsman for every 200 to 300 cattle."
A rotation of Montana ranchers, working cowboys and veterinarians will teach Russian herdsmen how to care for the livestock in what Sara Stevenson called "cowboy training."
The landscape will look somewhat familiar to the Montana group, even when they're half the world away, said de Yong.
"It's just like coming to Montana 100 years ago when it was just all grass," he said of the Voronezh area

kenny thomas":3id1wcb3 said:
Are you going also? They could use your wisdom.

:lol2: :lol2: Thanks Kenny-- If I was 30 years younger you probably couldn't hold me back... I have a neighbor/friend that has been there a couple of times- working with cooperative agreements on energy production- and while there got to go hunting Siberian wolves....

"It's just like coming to Montana 100 years ago when it was just all grass," he said of the Voronezh area
He described the countryside in much the same way....

I just looked at the thermometer-- Temp down here in the valley is -15 with about 10 mph wind---- which gives a windchill of about -35.....

And they're predicting another snowstorm hitting tomorrow and Monday with 4-8 inches more snow- 30 mph winds....

I think my cows would love a Russian climate about now :nod: ;-)

Hey you":29m17pbe said:
A question, Why not Embryos?

Looks like they don't want to wait that long-- also sending horses, ranch hands, and even the Vet- so I'm sure they will do some ET once there too...

From how I read this- its a total ranching business investment being made along with some Russian investors....

Remember about 30- 40 years ago-- when all the ranchers thought Australia was going to be their "promised land"-- and there was quite an exodus from our area (including some good friends and neighbors)... Sold out everything- lock, stock and barrel.....
Some were back in a short time- others after a few years- and I can only think of about one or two that are still there (and they are old enough now they are probably just sitting in their wheelchair on some nude beach drinking Fosters ;-) :p :drink: )....

Kind of like the old cows that everything looks greener across the fence....

Latest posts