money

Help Support CattleToday:

chad85":2lvmvk2a said:
what is the best way to bring on money on cattle?

When and if you get that sorted out - please let the rest of us know.

Most of us have ideas but in truth we also have nothing that does it year after year after year.

Regards,

Bez>

mdmdogs3":2q0j89ki said:
chad85":2q0j89ki said:
huh?

do you mean make money?

That is what I figured but now-a-days folks ask questions in the strangest of ways.

You got it figured out yet mdmdogs3??

Bez>

how to make money with cows

Item 1 - don't let them die
Item 2 - feed them quality feed so item 1 doesn't happen
Item 3 - give them clean fresh water again so item 1 doesn't happen.
Item 4 - don't let their babies die
Item 5 - make sure your cows are purple so that everybody wants them and you can make lots of money

and again - don't let them die

how does this list sound for starters?

mdmdogs3":2zmud555 said:
how to make money with cows

Item 1 - don't let them die
Item 2 - feed them quality feed so item 1 doesn't happen
Item 3 - give them clean fresh water again so item 1 doesn't happen.
Item 4 - don't let their babies die
Item 5 - make sure your cows are purple so that everybody wants them and you can make lots of money

and again - don't let them die

how does this list sound for starters?

So, what you are saying is don't let them die...you just threw that purple in for a joke, right? :lol:

Alice

Alice":2q43uw9p said:
So, what you are saying is don't let them die...you just threw that purple in for a joke, right? :lol:

Alice

naw - having purple cows is very very important - ok I guess live purple cows is very very very important

somebody please - find me a purple cow smiley to use here!

My mother liked to make up bedtime stories for us...one was the the "Oomamagoon and the Purple Cow." Thank you so much for reminding me of this. I'm 55 years old, and I miss my mama every day of my life.

Alice

Alice":3d9c8chl said:
My mother liked to make up bedtime stories for us...one was the the "Oomamagoon and the Purple Cow." Thank you so much for reminding me of this. I'm 55 years old, and I miss my mama every day of my life.

Alice
you are quite welcome
and my mama gets at least one eye roll from this 46 year old
but dang I wouldn't trade the last 2 years living with her and Dad for anything (on most days that is :roll: yesterday not being one of those days)

mdmdogs3":3b2yoevj said:
Alice":3b2yoevj said:

Alice
you are quite welcome
and my mama gets at least one eye roll from this 46 year old
but dang I wouldn't trade the last 2 years living with her and Dad for anything (on most days that is :roll: yesterday not being one of those days)

Ah, honey, it's just one day (this week)...good for you!

Alice

I figured the best way was to work for a bank and loan money to someone that wanted to get started

dun

Don't expect to get rich on cows. A living can be made but the greatest paybacks of the job are not monetary.
That said keep expenses to a minimum but don't get cheap on either the quality of your cattle or the quality of your feed and health programs. A poor conformation, sickly, underfed cow will never make you money. Don't get loans. It's a rare herd that can support both their owner and their owner's banker. Raise what sells.

chad85":193zhqp2 said:

Do what people in the real estate biz and stock market do....make a series of tapes on 'how to become rich in the cow business part time and with little money down' and film an informercial about it and then sell the "how to get rich" tapes to everybody else.

Chad i would have to say making decissions and standing beside them. You cant raise cattle part of the time and make money. You might luck up a few times and get into it just right and buy and sell and make a pocketfull of money but it mainly doesnt work out like that. I've sorta have it figured this way. Out of 5 calves 3 pays the ends and 2 goes into the pocket just for me to spend it on another set later. But sooner or later i'm going to hit a lick and break even with $10 in my pocket free and clear. What i'm saying is if your looking for a 6 month to 1 year return or turn around{up and not down lol} then you better get creative. I was say buy 6+ month breed cows and sell everything when the calves get 6 months. You can real easy double your money this way. You can buy 3 for 1s and wein the calves and sell them in a few months then wait on the calves to be born and wein them then sell off.

Its simple...
Dont put as much into them as you can get out of them. :shock:
Now... when and if you get that figured out.. let us all know how you do it. ;-)

TheLazyM":2n03ozgv said:
Chad i would have to say making decissions and standing beside them. You cant raise cattle part of the time and make money. You might luck up a few times and get into it just right and buy and sell and make a pocketfull of money but it mainly doesnt work out like that. I've sorta have it figured this way. Out of 5 calves 3 pays the ends and 2 goes into the pocket just for me to spend it on another set later. But sooner or later i'm going to hit a lick and break even with $10 in my pocket free and clear. What i'm saying is if your looking for a 6 month to 1 year return or turn around{up and not down lol} then you better get creative. I was say buy 6+ month breed cows and sell everything when the calves get 6 months. You can real easy double your money this way. You can buy 3 for 1s and wein the calves and sell them in a few months then wait on the calves to be born and wein them then sell off.
I agree, learning what to buy and buying and selling often will make you some money.

Bring on money on cows?

Well, if one of your cows has a two headed calf, you could sell it to the circus. :shock:

Five legged calves go for a little less. :p

Other than that, a whole lot of hard, back-breaking work, worried nights during calving season and long cussing fits with various pieces of machinery might help you break even. :lol:

Latest posts