How to make money in the cattle business?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":33ko59q6 said:
I would say that staying out of college altogether is a great choice. Lots of good advice about debt in this thread and ranching is best learned from hands on experience so why start out with student loans that don't help you?
I'm proof that you can do this if you want to. I have a GED as my highest level of education and I'm more or less "retired" at 37 to play with cows and bees full time. Don't focus on farm help jobs. Take one when you need money but think of it as a temporary thing and soak up everything there is to know while you're there. Look around you and see what needs there are and learn how to fulfill that need and then put your name one the side of the truck as a professional service. Now your $10 per hour in labor is worth $30 per hour and instead of taxes being withheld from your check you tell the government what you have left at the end of the year so you are free to reinvest every penny that you earn before the government gets it's hands on it.
On the marriage side of things, look at her dad. If he's the kind of man you want to be then you're good to go because he is her model of a man and she expects that from you and she'll help you get there. If he's anything else you may be in trouble because she'll nag at you until you change to fit her thinking and that includes spending habits.
Best of luck. I know you can do it!

Best marriage advice ever! Believe it!!!

Karin":1eolzilv said:
NEKid":1eolzilv said:
I enjoy working with cattle,I enjoy being on a horse,I enjoy living faaaar away from the cities and other people. I wouldn't go out and be a doctor just because it pays $100,000/year

Golly this sounded just like me when I was your age. I loved working with cattle (minus the cayuse), wouldn't dare think about living in the city and being around people, and never wanted to be something akin to a doctor or lawyer or any of that office-y stuff. And yet, not being homeschooled and coming from a public school system AND going through university AND having some job where I HAD to work with people put a whole different perspective up for me. When I worked at a local farm supply store I was shy as all get out but had to learn that to succeed was to be around other people, and to be able to associate and converse with people of all types and backgrounds.

Of course being a sales-person (a job I vow to never go back to again) is a little different than being a beef producer, but still if you want to sell your self or your product to the right people, be it a pot load of soggy steer calves or your services to be a custom grazer (hypothetically speaking), or even approach someone you don't know to negotiate and barter to buy some calves or equipment off of, you really need to not want to be faaar away from other people. Even if you get to the point of considering selling meat to consumers coming in from some city somewhere you gotta be comfortable being with them. I don't think you are terribly shy (you don't sound like it), but still, it goes full-circle back to "how to make money in the cattle business?": PEOPLE SKILLS and COMMUNICATION is one of the most important skills you will need to succeed, even in life in general.

College or university can teach you a lot of things, but I've found through my own experiences is that it doesn't teach you enough people skills: Effective communication (verbally especially), needs assessments, reading body language (to an extent), conflict resolution, negotiation, even real patience when you've got someone dumber than a sack of nails who can't seem to understand what you're trying to say. Especially in buying and selling you will run into that as you get up there in years, trust me on that. Money talks, but it can sink ships too if you're not careful.

And yakker's got a good point. That college degree can get you into places where a high school diploma can't. I too know people who haven't finished college or just have a high school diploma and they have a fairly decent job, but there's bills to pay too and some of those jobs aren't enough if there are bills and loans and expenses to consider with just living a half-decent life, let alone with raising cattle, if that. I know the loans with the degree can be a pain, but with where I'm going, for example, I've got something lined up that I really hope to get (things are sounding good so far, fingers crossed) that pays very good and is right up my alley as far as my own interests are concerned.

And six years ago I was in serious consideration of never going back to my then-unfinished degree again. Of course I could find some jobs but like with all jobs you start from the bottom. And university hadn't taught me much in how to work with people using the skill sets I mentioned above. I went through quite the learning curve, and had several missed opportunities as well all because I didn't have a complete degree. Actually a lot of the jobs that I would've loved to have then needed a completed degree of some sort which I didn't have, and that alone shook me awake and got me into finishing it up so I could get into something I really wanted to, being beef, forage, pasture, rangeland, or all of the above. So you'd be surprised at where a degree can take you.

NEKid, you've got the whole world in front of you, and a whole lot of choices at your finger tips. And you've gotten a lot of great advice already. I think I've said enough for this really early morning, but want to add a couple other things:

1) Remember Murphy's Law, and
2) Nothing EVER goes to plan, no matter if it's thought out in your head or written in detail on paper. And sometimes you have to get a little religious to hope that it does. :)

Wow,that's a lot of typing you did,and I appreciate it! It is true that communication is VITAL to life in all aspects. I'm not shy at all,but I do admit there is a way to go before the tact and effectiveness thereof really hits home. I have several rancher friends and they all the different opinions on whether to get a college degree in ag or not. One says it's a waste of money and a waste of my youth to sit in a classroom listening to someone talk,while the other says what you and others are saying: get a degree if I want a decent job in life. There is a long road to take to understand finances and management of them that I have to take. Thanks for the advice,it really is getting the cogs in my head oiled up.

cow pollinater":21ve0pal said:
I would say that staying out of college altogether is a great choice. Lots of good advice about debt in this thread and ranching is best learned from hands on experience so why start out with student loans that don't help you?
I'm proof that you can do this if you want to. I have a GED as my highest level of education and I'm more or less "retired" at 37 to play with cows and bees full time. Don't focus on farm help jobs. Take one when you need money but think of it as a temporary thing and soak up everything there is to know while you're there. Look around you and see what needs there are and learn how to fulfill that need and then put your name one the side of the truck as a professional service. Now your $10 per hour in labor is worth $30 per hour and instead of taxes being withheld from your check you tell the government what you have left at the end of the year so you are free to reinvest every penny that you earn before the government gets it's hands on it.
On the marriage side of things, look at her dad. If he's the kind of man you want to be then you're good to go because he is her model of a man and she expects that from you and she'll help you get there. If he's anything else you may be in trouble because she'll nag at you until you change to fit her thinking and that includes spending habits.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm leaning on not going to a college,but I'm still going to entertain the thought of attending one. Thanks for the tips,they'll help a lot!

NEKid":3hryqnkk said:
cow pollinater":3hryqnkk said:

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm leaning on not going to a college,but I'm still going to entertain the thought of attending one. Thanks for the tips,they'll help a lot!

The first paragraph is essentially the book 'Rich dad, poor dad' summed up in a nutshell..worth the read but don't expect specifics..more principles to live by.

The second paragraph is the best marriage advice you will ever get in life. No single decision in your life will impact your overall happiness more than the spouse you choose.

I would add, that dun and greybeards advice sure can give you some 'real world' practice and experience...which your future wife will appreciate (as long as you learn a few things and never reveal the source of your education) :shock: :)

Seriously though , I have had the good fortune of living in several parts of this great nation. In a way I envy you, because I wish I had figured out at your age how much I enjoy cattle and would have liked to have made a run at it exclusively. Reality is, I have a job I don't necessarily enjoy, but appreciate because it allows me the freedom to pursue cattle (free time and financial resources when I was getting started almost 20 yrs ago). Everything in life can be boiled down to ' is the juice worth the squeeze?' As a young person just getting started, (without a head start of inheritance per se) no matter what you do (college or not), you will 'pay' for your education; one way or another. This is the squeeze. The juice part you seem to already have a grasp on. Good luck, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed and you will learn an awful lot.

Good luck, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed and you will learn an awful lot.[/quote]

Good stuff :clap: :tiphat: :clap: :tiphat:

dun":1o9qjcec said:
greybeard":1o9qjcec said:
When I was young and dumb and in my natural prime, I spent/squandered thousands of $$$$ out of my salaries drinking good whisky and chasing young women.
The rest, I just wasted.
That's one difference between us. The "good" and "young" never entered into it.

I think both of you old F(Salt)s were drug thru the world by the USN. We could write a book, but there would be "be nice" in every chapter. Oh! The memories.

Son of Butch":31vhx5j0 said:
Back to some honest advice.

Know your input costs and break even projections before investing.

Farmers are notorious for being willing to do the physical labor, but not the record keeping to document which choices they made were profitable and which were mistakes.
I've known far too many that have run on the "Well if he can pay that, so can I school of thought" without accounting for the
other fellow having much different inputs or expectations for whatever reason.
ie lower feed costs, lower land prices/inheritance or better market premiums ect.

True! It is rough to estimate the approximate balance of everything,and with full-time ranchers who get paid once a year,I'll bet they're real good at it!

The idea that college has to cost money is an unfortunate myth. The military and vocational placement programs through ag and law schools and others will frequently pay your expenses if you are willing to take a position as a vet or what have you in an underserved area. I can't imagine anything could start a person looking to be a rancher than an all expense paid trip through ag college on either a military or locational scholarship while giving a young man time to mature and grow experientially.

Personally, I had an academic scholarships through a large university in Michigan that actually paid me to get my bachelors degree so not only did I not have any debt, I actually made money. Now I have options should my plans and dreams not come together as I had planned or hoped....

Not saying that going to college is the RIGHT answer but NOT going because of fear of debt is the WRONG answer.

Have you looked into getting the first year or two of college out of the way before you're out of HS? Our oldest is getting her first 12hrs of college while still doing her sophomore year of 'home schooling' (she goes to a university model school two days a week; the rest is on her own). The tentative plan is for her to do the same thing each of the next two years and so finish HS with three semesters of introductory stuff already finished ... then intern somewhere for 6-12 months (maybe taking some classes to finish out another semester), then head to college for two years with a good grasp of some of the lessons of life and no college-related debt (other than what she might rack up in the final two years, depending on where she goes and what she studies).\

Going to college for the mere sake of going to college is probably not a good idea. Going to college because it's a part of the business plan for "You, Inc." can be a great idea.

Good luck to you. And, re-read CPs advice on looking at the dads of the girls you're interested in and see what sort of man they're like ... I'd expand it though, look at their mom's too ... 'cause that's probably what she'll end up looking like after a couple of kids a few decades. Someone told me that when I was young, I listened, watched and was patient ... and it's paid enormous dividends. :D

WalnutCrest":724cnivf said:
Have you looked into getting the first year or two of college out of the way before you're out of HS? Our oldest is getting her first 12hrs of college while still doing her sophomore year of 'home schooling' (she goes to a university model school two days a week; the rest is on her own). The tentative plan is for her to do the same thing each of the next two years and so finish HS with three semesters of introductory stuff already finished ... then intern somewhere for 6-12 months (maybe taking some classes to finish out another semester), then head to college for two years with a good grasp of some of the lessons of life and no college-related debt (other than what she might rack up in the final two years, depending on where she goes and what she studies).\

Going to college for the mere sake of going to college is probably not a good idea. Going to college because it's a part of the business plan for "You, Inc." can be a great idea.

Good luck to you. And, re-read CPs advice on looking at the dads of the girls you're interested in and see what sort of man they're like ... I'd expand it though, look at their mom's too ... 'cause that's probably what she'll end up looking like after a couple of kids a few decades. Someone told me that when I was young, I listened, watched and was patient ... and it's paid enormous dividends. :D

That also is an option,doing some college while still in HS. Even though you explained it clear as glass,it still is confusing :shock: I'll keep talking around with ranchers in the area and try to get a better concept of what all is involved with getting the education and experience I need to do this.
As for the girls part of the conversation....I appreciate all the honest advice and the wise words spoken from experience,I really do. Yes,there are lots of girls in town that are lookers,but they just don't have what I'm looking for. Same with money in jobs,about doing what you enjoy even if you get paid less than the next guy doing what he doesn't enjoy,yet he gets paid lots more than you. I a'int guna marry a gal jest because she looks nice. And yes,I do hope the significant one someday does have parents who I want to hang around. Again,thanks! :D

NEKid":ddjeh8mg said:
WalnutCrest":ddjeh8mg said:

That also is an option,doing some college while still in HS. Even though you explained it clear as glass,it still is confusing :shock: I'll keep talking around with ranchers in the area and try to get a better concept of what all is involved with getting the education and experience I need to do this.
As for the girls part of the conversation....I appreciate all the honest advice and the wise words spoken from experience,I really do. Yes,there are lots of girls in town that are lookers,but they just don't have what I'm looking for. Same with money in jobs,about doing what you enjoy even if you get paid less than the next guy doing what he doesn't enjoy,yet he gets paid lots more than you. I a'int guna marry a gal jest because she looks nice. And yes,I do hope the significant one someday does have parents who I want to hang around. Again,thanks! :D

Wise decision. But still yet, don't marry an ugly one either :bang:

Which reminds me of this newpaper classified. An ol' farmer pit a classified in the paper and says, "I'm looking for a young,perty,hard-working lady whom would marry me. There are requirements,though. She has to come from a good family and she has to own a John Deere tractor........send picture of tractor." :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

[/quote]

As for the girls part of the conversation....I appreciate all the honest advice and the wise words spoken from experience,I really do. Yes,there are lots of girls in town that are lookers,but they just don't have what I'm looking for. Same with money in jobs,about doing what you enjoy even if you get paid less than the next guy doing what he doesn't enjoy,yet he gets paid lots more than you. I a'int guna marry a gal jest because she looks nice. And yes,I do hope the significant one someday does have parents who I want to hang around. Again,thanks! :D[/quote]

Wise decision. But still yet, don't marry an ugly one either :bang:[/quote]

That's kind of an unwritten rule around everywhere ;-)

Beauty can come in many forms.

What I find desirable now, is not what I thought was pretty then.

Fortunately, I was old enough and had been around enough that when I met my wife she qualified as being desirable to me by then. She has proven to be a great asset to me the last 25 years. Physical perfection is really nice to look at but the mothering/protector instinct for both me and the kids, compassion for others, willingness to work, is irreplaceable. I find her in coveralls, covered in cow **** and mud, wiping off a new calf or giving it a bottle, setting hay, cooking all day to entertain family on Christmas Eve, coming in from work and willing to go right back to town after milk replacer or staying up all night watching a cow, is what really turns my crank nowadays.

Don't pass on a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, it takes pressure and time to reveal a diamond. Some can't take either one.

talltimber":rnh463nh said:

Fortunately, I was old enough and had been around enough that when I met my wife she qualified as being desirable to me by then. She has proven to be a great asset to me the last 25 years. Physical perfection is really nice to look at but the mothering/protector instinct for both me and the kids, compassion for others, willingness to work, is irreplaceable. I find her in coveralls, covered in cow be nice and mud, wiping off a new calf or giving it a bottle, setting hay, cooking all day to entertain family on Christmas Eve, coming in from work and willing to go right back to town after milk replacer or staying up all night watching a cow, is what really turns my crank nowadays.

Don't pass on a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, it takes pressure and time to reveal a diamond. Some can't take either one.

You've found the right gal for you,then! I understand that appearance isn't what should define a relationship,it is much more that should. I pray that some day when the time is right God would send my way a gal who is compatible with who I am and what my interests are. Thannks for sharing that,because it is very true!

talltimber":e277eee9 said:

You are correct TT,

I've met many "lookers" that were "losers".

I have a great plaque on my wall that reads "the best way to make a million dollars as a cattle rancher is to start with two million"

HDRider":1zkbffyz said:
midTN_Brangusman":1zkbffyz said:
I would recommend a book that helped me when I started out, "Thoughts and Advise from an Old Cattleman" by Gordon Hazard. If you model your operation around his ideas you will be very successful.
Sadly, unavailable

51THYY-mJPL._SX396_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book is available, took awhile to find, but managed to get a copy..even signed by Mr. Hazard. $27 with shipping. contact info: [email protected]

Thanks to whoever posted about the book. Very good reading thus far.