Moldy Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I attended a Beef cattle symposium back in Oct and one of the speakers was Dr. Robert Lane of Sam Houston University. Forage and Legumes guy. Pretty informal get together and when he said "For goodness sakes, cover your hay--don't leave it out in the open. If you don't have barns enough at least tarp it."

Immediately, someone in the room said "If you tarp hay in East Texas, it will mold".
Doc said "Yes it will, and if you have that moldy hay tested, you will find the protein levels increased".

Now, I don't know about that, and I guess he knows what he's speaking about, but I sure wouldn't want to feed moldy hay just to get a little bit more protein. He did mention in his introduction that he is a beef cattle producer as well as being a Proff at SHS, so I guess he has some practical experience too.
I did tarp 8 bales this year that I didn't have room for under roof, and sure enough, it molded even tho I pulled the tarps every time we had a stretch of sunny dry weather. I'll never tarp any more. Ever.

You bring up an interesting topic....

I had so much hay this year I couldn't get it all under roof. So, I "double stacked" about 60 bales outside to save room. Looks like that was a bad decision. Seems the double stacked hay collected water badly and ended up molding quite a bit. Don't think I'll do that again.

Wondering if others have had similar experiences when stacking hay outside?

I stack outsideanput the bales really tight together end to end along fences I don't use tarps. I thought aboutstacking mine in a pyramid and tarping but decided against it.

The only mold I've seen on hay is white mold.....according to most experts its completely harmless.

I think some folks confuse moldy hay for dirty hay...I don't see how with the drought we have that you could have conditions to make mold.

I had a small patch windrowed and a storm coming so I rolled it a little early. It molded a good bit. I've left it outside pushed end to end. It's nasty. i roll it off hills and they pick over it.
Never had a lot of luck storing it outside long term. If you stack it three,two and one, tarp it good and leave the ends open it works good.
Put two real nice first cutting rolls out today and one second cutting roll with a tint of mold and they were fighting over that one when I left them.

fitz

Banjo":3cv3z6b4 said:
The only mold I've seen on hay is white mold.....according to most experts its completely harmless.

That's what I have except on a couple of bales that were stacked really tight together--they turned almost black for about 8" in on the sides that were touching. I think the tarp may have leaked at that area from an oak tree limb that fell on it. Not exactly tarps--they are cotton module covers. Look like this one, but green or yellow tops with advertising for some John Deere dealer in Arkansas.
1748568-L.jpg

Kingfisher, we aren't n drought here--2012 wasn't "too bad" , 2013 was even better--my ponds runneth over and it's been a wet fall and winter here in my county. It's definitely mold, you can pull it off in chunks and it sure wasn't there when I stacked it.

never pyramid stack hay outside , it will rot and mold much worse, and if possible , use net wrap , it is by far better for outside storage.

Latest posts