Mock show pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you !!! :tiphat:

Vic I hope he doesn't get docked for being a Gelbvieh . He is the only GV animal being shown in about 100 ,but at least we are going in there with a very good representative of the breed.

They all looks good, what the steers need now is a rice root brush and someone with time on their hands and healthy joints. While they is wet brush him up and forward with the rice root brush, brush him until the hair starts cooperating, then blow him out in the same direction. You need 2 brushes one for each steer, they should be worn out by the time you show. They will shed prior to your show so if he starts now and keeps it up until his show the hair will be trained and give him a fresher softer look.

I would put them on Stabilized Rice Bran, start with a pound a day, and 2to 3 months out get them on 2 pounds a day. It will put on a smooth layer of finish, you can run your hand sown them and it just slide down their body. It will definitely help soften up the first steer. There are a lot of supplements out there, I have found for the best ROI the rice bran works best for me, helps add oil to the hair and keeps their skin from getting flaky.

If the calf has a lot of cowlicks, you may need to brush the hair in a different direction and then up and forward, they will straighten out over time but can be a real pain until then.

Tell your boy to keep up the good work and have fun.

We had to take our carcass steer Sal in yesterday , his weigh in weight on Nov 27th was 685 lbs and yesterday it was 1285 lbs , he was 11 pounds shy for taking the highest AVD for the Junior carcass steer group . He will be 14 months old on the 31st of May. He looked good , really good , very nicely muscled and boy did he have a big butt ,butt we will find out tomorrow just what his carcass looks like when we got o the viewing and the judges results on Monday . I would have liked to have another month or 2 to put a really nice finish on him and marble him a little better.

Our 4H group did take the highest overall ADG with the grand champion being a big fat pig Angus that weighed 680 at weigh in and 1410 yesterday . We were the only carcass steer in the whole group that did NOT implant hormones at weigh in . Since we are buying him and eating him , we do not want growth hormones even though I am sure he would have added an extra 50+lbs to his final weight .

Ace really misses his buddy and did not eat as much last night even though he has a cow calf pair right beside him in the next pen and a bull in a paddock that will go out June 1st to finish the cows breeding group . Maybe he will pick up tomorrow , the weather may have a lot to do with it too as we had 1 and 1/4 "s overnight and it is still pouring ...

We head to show on Saturday , get Ace all set up and then the show is Sunday .

:tiphat:

you and the nephew done a great job.i only missed his weight by 50lbs or so by eye balling him.

Thanks BB and Brangus !!! :wave:

BB that is Sal not Ace , Ace is much deeper and wider so he will be around 1400 probably, will be weighed tomorrow . He had a good night ate all of his finisher , all 40 lbs of it , so I hope he keeps it up . The last thing I want is a hallow calf , I might feed him beet pulp soaked in water the morning of the show to fill him out more . We'll see.

Off to see the carcass steer , really curious as to how he looks compared to the Simmi , Charolais and Angus , no one did a herf this year but there might be a few in the show .There are quite a few simmi/red angus being shown , they call them Red Max's , pretty nice looking cross.

I will let you know how it all going whenever I get a chance, but it is going to be a crazy busy weekend . So much to do at home and I have to be gone most of the time. Thankfully Mr HD will be home for a couple of days so he can either stay with Matt and Ace or come home and look after the pets and the cattle . I am bottle feeding 2 calves still , one that is in pasture with his group and one that was just born out of a 14 month old heifer :hide: the one heifer that we missed estrumating last fall . :bang: I thought what are the chances of her being bred but yup she got bred at 5 1/2 months old by a 6 month old bull calf that was in that group . :hide: T :hide: the one I posted a pic of earlier in the thread. I sold him as a heifer bull and he truly is . :roll: :dunce: She weighed 56 lbs (the smallest calf I have ever had here, even with twins) and mom had no problem I just gave her a quick pull with my hands as she was pretty tired. She does not have a lot of milk so I am supplementing her heifer calf with an extra bottle a day .

:tiphat:

The steer looks great! I missed this thread, so wishing you luck this weekend. You should be very proud of that stock!

Thanks Fire Sweep !

Busy day , big rush to get set up and then wait and wait and wait . :roll:

Ace weighed 1365 lbs then with 4% shrink it worked out to 1303 and he had a rate of gain at 2.71 lbs/day .

Have to be on the road at 6 am so am off to bed. Crazy busy super long day tomorrow. Matthew is having a lot of fun as are all the kids there . :wave:

Hubby took this quick pic with his phone ,I took a lot of everything going on with my camera but haven't had time to download them.

Ace just getting settled into his stall, we got there early so he could get the corner stall .