Mini Cow contracted tendons

Help Support CattleToday:

Gab455

Reaction score
I have a two week old mini zebu bull calf that was born with contracted front tendons. He was getting up and nursing day one and has already received BOSE and LA 200. He does seem sore and we had splinted him from the front Of the leg & then vet recommended To splint from behind and above the knee. I'm starting to get frustrated he's a sweet baby seems painful for him. Any more recommendations I just don't see much improvement ... system
Wont allow to post pics. I have tried not splinting and he seems painful. He weighs 40lbs.

It may be a little uncomfortable for him, but if you ever want him to be able to walk on his hoofs I'm pretty sure it's the only way.

What is the only way ? I'm asking for more suggestions and is the splint better on front or back ? Should I be splinting has anyone ever been able to correct this ? I've added a before pic. He was originally walking on his knuckles now he's very slightly on the hooves .... idk if I should keep splints on or off I'm asking for ppl with more experience for suggestions .

Sorry to hear about the issues with your calf. You might ask the vet if you could try something like Banamine to help with the pain and any inflammation it might have.

I've had a few with contracted tendons, time seems to be the only thing that helps.. to me,it just seems like they tire quickly

Besides do you splint I keep trying to attach pics and it won't let me. He is two weeks and he's a mini but he was literally on the fetlocks walking now he's on the top edge of the hoof but still bent back. I'm starting to lose hope. Idk if I should splint if so do splints go on front or back I initially did front and then switched to back and last night I gave him a break. He's got a big big heart and mama is so patient I just want him to be okay.

Splint on the back side. Put a wrap of vet wrap on his legs first for a little padding. Then splints, then vet wrap, and finally duck tape.
I don't splint above the knees. I want that joint to remain able to flex. Try splints again for four days. It just takes time like Nesikep said.

I've been padding I'm just concerned and trying everything I can massages, meds, splints , manually stretching...I'm at a loss :(

Gab455 said:
I've been padding I'm just concerned and trying everything I can massages, meds, splints , manually stretching...I'm at a loss :(
Not the end of the world. Typically occurs with big Bwt calves. Rarely seen in very low Bwt calves like yours. Keep on doing what you're doing. He should be walking soundly in short order.

76 Bar do u think it's still fixable after two weeks I wish I could upload pics ....hes a mini but good size for a mini so u also suggest splinting from behind ?

Why don't you splint the back and front with a split piece of PVC? Wrap as SBMF suggested. It worked well on my broke leg calf.

BTW the site won't let you post pictures until you have about a dozen posts.

Oh okay no wonder it won't let me post. I originally splinted on the front and pulled toe forward then I switched splints to the back of the leg. Vet suggested above the knee. I just wish I could say I had more progress. The humidity down here is terrible and isn't helping my cause. If anyone wants to see pics I can text them

Like Dun used to say 'put splints on and they will be better in 14 days, do nothing and they will be better in 2 weeks'. As long as they can nurse, I don't bother with them anymore.

Yes he's nursing he's already two weeks old.... seems like very little improvement.

Gab455 said:
What is the only way ? I'm asking for more suggestions and is the splint better on front or back ? Should I be splinting has anyone ever been able to correct this ? I've added a before pic. He was originally walking on his knuckles now he's very slightly on the hooves .... idk if I should keep splints on or off I'm asking for ppl with more experience for suggestions .

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for an alternative to splinting.

Rafter S I'm looking for any suggestions that may help this little guy because I've read so many different things including doing nothing and that he will come along with time. Definitely hard to watch with no splints and the humidity down here is killer so I'm changing bandages and resetting splints frequently .

Gab455 said:
76 Bar do u think it's still fixable after two weeks I wish I could upload pics ....hes a mini but good size for a mini so u also suggest splinting from behind ?
Two weeks isn't unusual before knuckled over calves begin to improve. I've never bothered to splint them. For a variety of reasons the "cure" can cause more harm than good. If he's showing any improvement at all I'd consider it positive and he'll likely eventually be sound. What puzzles me is knuckling over is associated with big birth wt calves as in excess of 100 lbs or more. In spite of the fact your guy had a light BWT & from mini genetics, perhaps the dam's uterine environment compromised his development. Whatever....please keep us posted regarding what transpires.

Latest posts