Mini Cow contracted tendons

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar said:
Gab455 said:
76 Bar do u think it's still fixable after two weeks I wish I could upload pics ....hes a mini but good size for a mini so u also suggest splinting from behind ?
Two weeks isn't unusual before knuckled over calves begin to improve. I've never bothered to splint them. For a variety of reasons the "cure" can cause more harm than good. If he's showing any improvement at all I'd consider it positive and he'll likely eventually be sound. What puzzles me is knuckling over is associated with big birth wt calves as in excess of 100 lbs or more. In spite of the fact your guy had a light BWT & from mini genetics, perhaps the dam's uterine environment compromised his development. Whatever....please keep us posted regarding what transpires.

He weighs 40lbs, wouldn't that be a big mini? I usually associate "knuckling over" with large calves that ran out of room. Just like you said. So wouldn't it be the same problem just mini sized?

As Nesi said they tire quickly, that is as they start to improve they start to walk on tippy toes but after being up for a couple of minutes knuckle over again. Either keep them confined in a yard or in a small paddock with just the cow so they don't have to move much. The cow usually understands the situation and will keep close to them however if out with the herd she may want to move around with them. I had a run of them about 10 years ago and never did anything with them except making sure they did not have to move around much.

Ken

Latest posts