minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I was complaining the other day on what I was spending for a bag of minerals with fly control. The old timer said he adds a bag of salt for each bag of minerals. Is this possible and would the cattle get enough minerals they need?

Well, it's one way to cheapen it, maybe like a limiter as well, but I hesitate to mess with the folks who formulate the mix.

You can cheapen seed, minerals, all that stuff but unless you got a University study on it I think you may be wasting time.

I did the Crowder dance - got a feed analysis - got nutritionists advice - saved myself a lot of bucks and the girls never looked better. Give em what they need - no more, but certainly no less.

All that being said I am not one to quickly dismiss old time advice.

ALX

We were discussing the exact same thing with a rep from a Mineral company at a Cattlemen's meeting the other night.

I'm not going to mention the name of the manufacturer, but I had a concern on an IGR Mineral, and felt the Cows were not eating enough of the product, and the calves were.My experience was telling me there was an additive adult Cattle dont like, but Calves do. Expected average intake is 4 oz. of Mineral per day, per head. I was told we could add white Salt to it to sort of "bait" them to eat it better. According to the label, Salt content is already 19%.IMHO, tthe Mineral is being diluted too much, and may/will lose it's effectiveness, as it's got a Fescue Endophyte ingredient,and CTC.This particular Mineral goes for 32.00 a 50 lb. sack.

This is as good as any where to jump in here and ask a question without hijacking the thread.

Does anybody know where in Alabama I can have my own mineral mixed is smaller quantities such as 1000 lbs ?

I have just had a complete analiysis done on my hay and would like to see if it would be cheaper to have my minerals custom mixed to match my grass needs.

Right now for a good store bought bagged mineral, I am paying $15.50 per 50lb bag which equates to $310 per 1000# which will last a year or so.

Nowland Farms":1p0c747b said:
This is as good as any where to jump in here and ask a question without hijacking the thread.

Does anybody know where in Alabama I can have my own mineral mixed is smaller quantities such as 1000 lbs ?

I have just had a complete analiysis done on my hay and would like to see if it would be cheaper to have my minerals custom mixed to match my grass needs.

Right now for a good store bought bagged mineral, I am paying $15.50 per 50lb bag which equates to $310 per 1000# which will last a year or so.
Doubt you can get it done with less than a 1 Ton minimum.

We feed loose salt and loose mineral separately, free choice in the concrete bunks. In the hotter climate, the cows go through more salt in the summer than mineral.

In the attempt to switch active ingredients up, I went from using raybon blocks,and feeding loose minerals, to a more expensive one premixed in loose minerals.

The cows thought the raybon blocks were candy. I couldn't keep em out fast enough. Now, I too am worried they aren't getting the intake they need. If all else fails, I'll go back to the candy! ;-)

warpaint":iehbnqos said:
In the attempt to switch active ingredients up, I went from using raybon blocks,and feeding loose minerals, to a more expensive one premixed in loose minerals.

The cows thought the raybon blocks were candy. I couldn't keep em out fast enough. Now, I too am worried they aren't getting the intake they need. If all else fails, I'll go back to the candy! ;-)

That's one of the drawbacks to feeding the inscticide in the loose minerals. There will be times of the year when they just don;t consume as much as needed to get enough of the insecticide. We've had that situation now for about 2 months. But the grass is starting to get dry and stemmy and they're starting to eat more minerals.

FYI, if you use fly minerals it will wipe out your dung beetles and your turds will last forever.

gabby":1sbg65mj said:
FYI, if you use fly minerals it will wipe out your dung beetles and your turds will last forever.

Dun's right.....won't affect dung beetles at all.

Latest posts