Loose minerals question

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
I have our weanlings in a separate pasture and don't have another covered loose mineral feeder, so I just dumped some loose minerals out into an empty crystalyx tub. I didn't put in a ton but it did rain on it before they could eat it all.

1. Will they still eat it after it's wet?
2. Is it still equally nutritious?

thx!

boondocks":1vd6a2vx said:
I have our weanlings in a separate pasture and don't have another covered loose mineral feeder, so I just dumped some loose minerals out into an empty crystalyx tub. I didn't put in a ton but it did rain on it before they could eat it all.

Maybe, probably, sure depends how wet...wait and see and you can tell me.
No, there will be some leaching, how much is anyone's guess, probably not as bad as you think.
Bottom line: I'm not much help...lol...hopefully someone else can give you better answers.

thx!

boondocks":2drfr3yi said:

thx!
You'll probably have to break it up once it's dried out and yes the nutrients will all be there. No way to get out of that plastic tub. Just make sure you stir and remix it all real well.

I don't have any covered feeders, I also don't get much rain.. I don't bust it up when they slobber into it and it hardens. it just turns into a salt block and they can spend a little time licking it.. I do mix about 40% mineral 60% salt though and it's their only source of salt, so they will work at it.

I wondered this myself. I put some fresh next to the rained on and they definitely preferred the fresh. The pasture where I left the rained on alone, consumption went way down. Might try mixing some fresh with it.