Milking Teat Damaged then removed?

Help Support CattleToday:

lizziebean

Reaction score
Hello,
my name is Lizzie I'm a dairy student and id like some help from people with more experience then me on a relatively urgent matter.

there is a cow in the hospital herd at a place Ive looked at a cow shes skinny and has been reacting to the antibiotics large hard welts on her backside where the milker was told by the vet to put it and she has what i think is mastitis.
this cow was brought over after calving and had a damaged perhaps infected right rear teat the vet was called and he removed the entire teat up to the place where it meets the body of the udder. The cow is on her third lactation and calved easily. I just got back this week and the milker (who has been milking for over 30 years and has seen most ailments but not this particular one) showed me the excretions from the cut off teat, i am almost completely sure that it is mastitis and i think the cow has been producing in that quarter but it hasn't been milked because there isn't a way to milk it. dose anybody have an idea on how to get the goo out of this poor cow? is there any-thing we can buy or use to stick up there and let it just gravity down? I'm just quite clueless on this one, its just not something they teach in lecture.
(I can add pictures later if you need it)

As Ive said shes a good cow, never gives us any trouble, gets right in line for milking, produces a lot and in a barn full of first calvers its preferable to do what we can to keep her.

Thank you very much!!!

the question would be why did the vet remove the teat instead of wrapping doctoring it as you could still have used a cannula to drain it , the only time I have known to remove the teat was for gang green
mastitis, other than opening a hole in the bottom of that quarter to drain I have know idea
Suzanne

If it's mild mastitis leave it alone, she'll get over it better if you don't interfere other than using injectable antibiotics.
If it's severe mastitis leave it alone, it isn't going to drain any better than it is already.
If she's in severe pain from the mastitis a bullet will quickly end her suffering. However there's a good chance that she can get through this and milk on three quarters for several more years... the infected quarter may blow out over the next few weeks.
Wishing her luck for you... she'll need it.

Thank you for your responses:
No clue why the vet removed the teat

She dose have a whole where the goo is coming out of squeezing it hurts her but it does come out
Thank you Lizzie

I've killed a few quarter by infusing 60-70 cc's strong iodine in the quarter and then putting a castration band on it. Teat falls off and it's slick and dead.

the big q is can you smell the cow when she comes into the barn.if so it sounds like she has gangreen an not mastitis ooozing from the removed teat area.but im not there to see her or small her if she stinks.just going by what ive seen over 30yrs.

no smell other then normal cow smell the udder looks normal and feels normal other then the hard quarter she is skinny however...

sounds like e-coli blue bag, i had one when i first started milking, vet came out, that teat was bule and cold, he just snipped it off, said it would drain,next day she was dead-infection had spread to far into the blood-started vaccinating with JVAC no more of those cases ever

Best bet is to find out why the vet cut the teat off, if it teat was blue and or cold or what and go from there=surely he would have given the cow large doses of antibiotics, IV-

GMN":21iipfsh said:
sounds like e-coli blue bag, i had one when i first started milking, vet came out, that teat was bule and cold, he just snipped it off, said it would drain,next day she was dead-infection had spread to far into the blood-started vaccinating with JVAC no more of those cases ever

Best bet is to find out why the vet cut the teat off, if it teat was blue and or cold or what and go from there=surely he would have given the cow large doses of antibiotics, IV-
GM I don't know that I've ever seen a cow overcome it even when loaded up. All I've seen start passing blood out the teat and that's pretty much a sign that it's only a matter of time. AND one minute they can be perfectly fine and 15 minutes later they're dieing. BTW didn't they come out with a vaccine for it quite a few years ago?? J-5 or something like that?

Latest posts