Milk Sack TOO LARGE...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a cow that has just calved and her teats are way to large for the calf to suck off of. What can be done to get them down.. The cow can not be put up to deal with her because she is too large and does NOT like to be hemmed up..Is there and type of medicine we can put in her food and what could we do to keep them from getting large in the future.

[email protected]

i just last week had the same problem with one of my cows... dont know any medicene, but what i did is put the cow in a squeeze chute and helped the calf nurse for 2-3 days until he was able to handle them by himself.... now a week later, you would never know she had oversized teats. i will sell this cow later, because of this problem... she was one of a herd i bought and couldnt know she had this problem...

the main thing is get some colustrum into the calf asap... i milked about a quart of the cows milk into a bottle and let the calf suck it... once he got the taste he was willing to suck on his own... caution though.... some cows will kick the dickins out of you when you try to milk her...

good luck

gene

> We have a cow that has just calved
> and her teats are way to large for
> the calf to suck off of. What can
> be done to get them down.. The cow
> can not be put up to deal with her
> because she is too large and does
> NOT like to be hemmed up..Is there
> and type of medicine we can put in
> her food and what could we do to
> keep them from getting large in