Military Rifles

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3vjryl6g said:
My personal preference is still the M1Garand

OK. I've always want one. I'm not old enough to have served with one.

[
Carlos Hathcock made shooting VC with a .50 a cottage industry. I think he used a modified machine gun to fire one round at a time and put a Unertl scope on it. Set it up on a hilltop and sniped the enemy from 1000 to 2000 yards.[/quote]

I think your wrong about the modified rifle. Scope is correct... 10 power???. Seem like his kill was 2500 yards. The boy was riding a bike when he stopped for a water break as I recall. I think it was the only one he shot with a .50 . I don't understand the industry thing.

I also think that the part of your previous post was interesting. The part you deleted.[/quote]

Wewild, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I did not delete anything from any post. I did add to my first response though. Care to elaborate?

HOSS":3e3gd1k6 said:
Wewild, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I did not delete anything from any post. I did add to my first response though. Care to elaborate?

Maybe I was wrong.

Take care.

Angus/Brangus":2754g3st said:
Horticattleman":2754g3st said:
The CMP store is right there in Anniston Al. You can choose from hundreds. I found some real nice ones the other day. Carbines too.

I still have my Dad's .30 Carbine from WWII. It still shoot's fine and is very lightweight. It evolved from the Garand as I understand it.

When I first got stuck doing guard duty on the flyboys jets in the early 70's- that is what the Air Force issued-- the M2 carbine (had selector switch and could be shot full auto)...That and the old S&W Model 10 .38 caliber pistols- that with that ball ammo, I'm not sure would stop a gopher :roll: The M2's were a fun little gun to shoot, especially on full auto- and nice to pack because of how light they were...Altho I don't think that carbine round had too much stopping power..
A friend of mine used to have a single action revolver that shot the carbine round..It was fun to shoot too....

Angus/Brangus":29wznpy0 said:
I still have my Dad's .30 Carbine from WWII. It still shoot's fine and is very lightweight. It evolved from the Garand as I understand it.
They were developed sepratly and about all the have in common is bore size and being semiauto (some carbines are switchable to full auto). The semiauto function and mechanism are unrelated.

Oldtimer":1srdz6w4 said:
A friend of mine used to have a single action revolver that shot the carbine round..It was fun to shoot too....

The revolver is a blast and the muzzle flash is somethign to behold. AMT made a semiauto pistol at one time and that thing was a real blast to shoot. The carbine round was supposed to be a replacement for some troops in place of the 1911 45 ACP. The carbine round with softpoints is a serious coyote wacker along with anything smaller like coons, skunks, etc.
I used to get a laugh out of watching people shoot it for the first time when they would end up with their thumb up their nose or a busted thumb from holding it wrong.

I know on the ship I was on we carried the M-14 (.308) with the 20rd clip. The use of the M-16 with its .223 size round gained popularity because its light weight and held more rounds. However everyone I talked to felt like you had to shoot 'em twice to keep them from coming whereas with the M-14 one bullet would keep down for awhile. Alot of the marines on the ship thought that the M-16 would jam alot more frequently and didn't resist the sand as much as the M-14. I watched a show on the history channel where they were beefing up a 6mm cartridge to make the most efficient round. which in my opinion would be amazing. Of course I'm bias because my 6mm is my favorite rifle. ;-)

The M-16 round does a lot more damage than many think but isn't designed to tear someone in two. I've even killed a couple of deer with my old AR-15 semi-automatic. A real joy to "play with" and the new M-16s are not suppose to be nearly as bad about jamming etc. although routine cleaning is still required. I guess the AK is probably still the best for close combat...you can leave it in a mud hole for a week, pick it up, and empty the clip with no problems. I'm about 90% deaf in my right ear now from those little rascals.

Latest posts