Military Uniforms

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I cannot believe this administration will not allow soldiers to wear their military uniforms into a Church. I think it would be great if every soldier would put his uniform on the same Sunday and walk into a Church. I cannot believe the laws that are being pushed through now.
One soldier was reading a Conservative book before going on a TV show, and was told that he could not read that type of book while in uniform.
I now see how Germany was taken over and the people didn't question what was happening from 1933 to 1945. It soon became so large, they were afraid to do anything about it. I see the same situation repeating here now.

Twenty two years of service now and the rules are about the same now as they were 22 years ago when I first entered. I don't think the current administration has much to do with it. Military Dress and Appearance Standards regulate what you can wear, how it's worn and when/where you can were it and it hasn't changed much. Military uniforms are allowed in church but it should to be your dress uniform and not your utility uniform. You can't were your uniform to church if it's part of a rally, public demonstration, anything political ect. In the military you have different standards for your Dress and Utility uniforms. Utility (camo) uniform is a "work" uniform and generally not worn out in public. Your "Dress" uniform is for that.
Current trends in fashion affect military dress standards more than anything, such as visible tattoos, jewelry, hair fashions and bling bling.

rla442":i397ynwc said:
Twenty two years of service now and the rules are about the same now as they were 22 years ago when I first entered. I don't think the current administration has much to do with it. Military Dress and Appearance Standards regulate what you can wear, how it's worn and when/where you can were it and it hasn't changed much. Military uniforms are allowed in church but it should to be your dress uniform and not your utility uniform. You can't were your uniform to church if it's part of a rally, public demonstration, anything political ect. In the military you have different standards for your Dress and Utility uniforms. Utility (camo) uniform is a "work" uniform and generally not worn out in public. Your "Dress" uniform is for that.
Current trends in fashion affect military dress standards more than anything, such as visible tattoos, jewelry, hair fashions and bling bling.

You need to tell the folks at Ft. Hood. I see dozen of them every week and NONE wear anything other than utility with beret in public.

TexasBred":3fr77xod said:
rla442":3fr77xod said:

You need to tell the folks at Ft. Hood. I see dozen of them every week and NONE wear anything other than utility with beret in public.

My son wore his BDU's to Church every Sunday in the Air Force. Of course he was in Omaha and that is a war zone for sure!

rla442":bazsu10t said:
Yes, the rules have changed, but it depends which base you are on and sometimes, which branch of the service. School commands generally don't allow any service member to exit the gate in utilities if the member is student in training, but permanent staff can.
Some places, you can drive out in camo, but not walk out the gate.
Other posts and bases, you can walk or drive out, but some places have a policy you aren't supposed to stop in town--just go back and forth from your home to base.
Still other places allow for camo almost anywhere that is a neccessity like going into a drug store or grocery store.
Others, pretty much allow camo anywhere.

There is no "one size fits all" regulation AFAIK.

I haven't seen any bases where camo is prescribed wear for church--it's dress uniform of the day--tho they may allow it for on-base chapel service if the servicemember is on duty at the time.

When I was in it was like greybeard stated. We would never wear BDU's to church, funerals or any formal function. It was perfectly ok to wear them off post in town, out to eat or shopping......as long as they were squared away and not sloppy. My MOS required BDU's for almost all of my training as we lived in the mud, muck and mire most of the time. The upside is that I could blouse the trousers of my Class A pickle suit into spit shined jump boots which was way better than the patent leather low quarters.

HOSS":351v2v7r said:
When I was in it was like greybeard stated. We would never wear BDU's to church, funerals or any formal function. It was perfectly ok to wear them off post in town, out to eat or shopping......as long as they were squared away and not sloppy. My MOS required BDU's for almost all of my training as we lived in the mud, muck and mire most of the time. The upside is that I could blouse the trousers of my Class A pickle suit into spit shined jump boots which was way better than the patent leather low quarters.

After ranger training I never had a pair of low quarters. And yes I can still spit shine a pair of boots and am very particular about my boots having to be shined to this day. I haven't owned a set of low quarters since I was 18 year old. :nod:

Cal

I saw a soldier on the news talking about it. If you look it up on the computer in sites where anyone can answer it, look further than the first answer when someone says yes. It is not hard to find.
I remember when the soldiers were allowed to wear their uniforms to Church. While going over the sites, one stated that it was a "show off" situation. If a man gives years of his life to his country, and mostly when he goes to war, he deserves to wear it to Church. It is called "Pride." It is a bit different from going to a bar and slumming around.

Marine Uniform Rules:
A Marine uniform can only be worn on certain circumstances. It is reserved to those on military-related duties. It cannot be worn at a religious site unless approved. It cannot be worn to promote advancement for private purposes, a job interview or business deal. It can never, in any circumstance, be worn to bring discredit to the USMC. Marines are not allowed to pump gas or run errands while in uniform on their way to or from base. They are allowed to stop for a medical emergency or traffic accident.

I am sure if you ask to wear you uniform to your religious site, then you will be told, "If we let you do it, then we have to let everyone do it!"