Milestone spot spray for pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve, In my opinion milestone is an overpriced product. We use either crossbow or Grazon P+D. The grazon is my pick for open pastures as it has residual effects and kills weed seed in the ground. For spotspraying I love crossbow, it works everytime no question about it, good for the most overgrown fence lines you have ever seen as well.

Herefordcross":15j9wv17 said:
Steve, In my opinion milestone is an overpriced product. We use either crossbow or Grazon P+D. The grazon is my pick for open pastures as it has residual effects and kills weed seed in the ground. For spotspraying I love crossbow, it works everytime no question about it, good for the most overgrown fence lines you have ever seen as well.

Milestone is expensive. Have you compared the effectiveness of Curtail or Milestone to Crossbow for spot spraying?

Milestone is about the only thing availible in CA with any residual so it is way more effective. Crossbow from what I have seen will burn them back, esp. if they are in the rosette, and then later they will come back. All the ground I sprayed this spring (which was mostly new ground that had bad weed issues) is as clean as they come 3-4 months later. I used some Milestone straight and some at a lighter rate with a quart of Weedone 638, both seemed to do a good job. Milestone is pricey, but I only sprayed that stuff once. We don't have any brush issues here, that is what Crossbow really shines on. So far the Milestone has been the best I've seen for thistles, knapweeds, leafy spurge, and other hard to kill weeds.

Two things:

One is either your spraying resistant species with crossbow or your not using the correct rate. Crossbow kills everything we have ever used it on including fifety year old trees.

Two yes Steve I use crossbow all of the time for spot spraying, works great.

We only use three things around here. Crossbow, Grazon, Roundup and that is it.

No resistant species, and the rate is correct. Probably has more to do with irrigating than anything, everytime we irrigate more seeds in the ground germinate. Can take years to get them under control. It is probably new plants that I see, not regrowth on ones that have been sprayed, but in a bad patch it is hard to tell. This being the land of loonies (CA) we can't use any Grazon, so Milestone is the first decent product that kills the weed seed and doesn't hurt the grass. I also meant that I have only had to apply Milestone once to any given area (no resprays yet this year), not that I have only used it once.

We used to spot spray 24D in the spring and summer. It just made Canada thisle angry, unless you sprayed it 2 or 3 times for the kill. I am told it works better in the fall. Is Grazon a mix with 24D in it?

We went to spot spraying with Curtail which is a lot more money, but it (usually) killed the first time.

Tried some spot spraying with Milestone this spring - - it even killed the grass in places. I was using a 2 % solution and was later told 0.35 oz/gal (0.5%) was enough.

Latest posts