Microtel not working on Susie's pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Susie had her second shot of Microtel (1 1/2 ml) last night and is still drinking her bottles but is still coughing and very dull. Ears are back and she is starting to keep her head lower. Her temp is 103.5. Have a call into a vet but being the weekend and all . . . Will I be able to still give her Nuflor , as most of you recommended that is was better than Microtel ? Think I can get my hands on some.

Give the calf the nuflor, and if you can get your hands on some banamine, give that also. don't forget to follow that up with some yogurt.

Alice

We've had this happen to us too. It's because that the Micotil (I think that's what you mean) hits only one strain of the BRD out of four possible ones, and it looks has if your heifer has one of the three that Micotil doesn't affect.

So yes, GO WITH NUFLOR. It's the best one out there (from what I'm aware of), we've tried it, and it works. There's Baytril and Dextral (sp??) but I think those are a little more expensive.

I've never been successful with Micotil either. So evidently mine hasn't been the strain that is good with Micotil.

Nuflor helped them get a little better but then they got sick again...........

Baytril did the trick and has worked the best for me.

I stayed at a Microtel Inn once, run by a Mr. Patel. Junction City, Kan. I could talk for awhile about that misadventure.

I am crossing my fingers. Gave Susie 3 ml of Nuflor (buddy did not have Baytril) Today was alot cooler than the weekend and Susie was running around and bucking when I let her out tonight. Will give 3 ml tomorrow to finish up. I hope this pulls her out. Heard Friday coughing once or twice. Would she get pneumonia from the other calf? Should I treat her or wait until she shows more symptoms. Alice, how much yogurt would you give? I used the kids individual yogurts in her bottle of milk for the last two feedings. Cheers to you all. Thought that was quite funny about the hotel. Soon I am sure I will be an expert in "cow medicine".

Newbie, I'm sure what you're using re: yogurt is fine. Make sure you give another 3 ccs nuflor on Wednesday and another 3ccs nuflor on Friday. You wanna knock out whatever is wrong with the calf for good...not just keep it at bay.

Alice

IluvABbeef":1gnvt8zm said:
We've had this happen to us too. It's because that the Micotil (I think that's what you mean) hits only one strain of the BRD out of four possible ones,

Where did you get the Micotil hits only one of four possible BRD strains information from?

Micotil is pretty dangerrous stuff to use if you accidentally inject yourself-it does happen. I've heard good things about Draxxin but not sure if you can use it on that small a calf.

Northern Rancher":2iiazcyo said:
Micotil is pretty dangerrous stuff to use if you accidentally inject yourself-it does happen. I've heard good things about Draxxin but not sure if you can use it on that small a calf.

Draxxin: We've used it on very young calves...and yes, it is good stuff, but it's not the magic bullet, dangit. Wish it were...then the cost wouldn't bother me near as much.

Alice

How many injections of what quantity of antibiotics have you given this calf? How many different brands of antibiotics?

That calf is a walking testament to resistance building.

Once again, you should need a licence or a scrip to buy antibiotics.

We were given "Susie" free as she was not in good enough health to sell. She must not have had enough colostrum and her mother wanted nothing to do with her. She was all right at the start but then developed a cough and weeping eyes. After talking to a vet he suggested 5cc of penicillin for 3 days. This cleared up the eye and nose thing. Then a week later she developed pneumonia (last tues). After talking to a vet again Susie got 1 1/2 cc of Micotil last wed and another 1 1/2 cc on friday. The weekend was hot and Susie was not doing that well but was still drinking. After talking to the vet again, he suggested Nuflor and she got 3 cc on Sunday night. She will get the rest of the 3cc tonight. Yes, Susie has had alot of drugs but she has been under the supervision of a vet. I just haven't had to "buy' the drugs from a vet as my friend who gave us the cow works with 3000 head of beef cattle and he has a great supply of medications. The vet also knows this. Hopefully Susie will not build up too much resistance but it was either drugs or death. She is doing great right now. Keeping my fingers crossed. Cheers.

Latest posts