meteorite hits Russia

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":3iud1uqs said:
Sorry Jo, you lost me on that thread. No koolaid here just looking for some light hearted fun. Do I think a couple of asteroids passing by earth is the end of the earth ...... No, but if it is will we really care a few days after? But I'm lost if you really took me serious. :?

Does life or even CT have to be full of doom and gloom?

If you read it like gloom and doom you completely missed my point. Every action has a reaction and it would seem to me that this asteroid and the meteor came from some event somewhere in space that sent rocks a flying. I don't see how they can say this is the only piece of rock flying our way when they didn't even notice the one that hit Russia. I would think something big happened in space somewhere to make rocks go flying against the gravitaional forces of solar systems and with enough power to bypass Jupiter's gravitational pull. Its simple science. To think that these two events have nothing in common is statisticly slim at best.

But if you'd like to think in gloom and doom terms let's make lemonade out of lemons and hope one hits the DC area and then maybe gloom and doom wouldn't be so rampant in people's minds.

Jogeephus":12nehe6v said:
Not wanting to fearmonger but given the fact that a larger meteorite is heading by earth today do you think this will be the only one that will hit? They say the big one will miss earth by as little as 17 miles but do you really think this is the only one in the cluster? And how can they be so sure the big one will miss due to the earth's gravitational force. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more hit today.

I think it was 17,200 miles away.....I guess that's pretty close considering forever and ever

A simple google, the study (count) of NEO started in 1980;

As of February 14, 2013, 9703 Near-Earth objects have been discovered. Some 861 of these NEOs are asteroids with a diameter of approximately 1 kilometer or larger. Also, 1378 of these NEOs have been classified as Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs).

Kingfisher":3hyevsi8 said:
Jogeephus":3hyevsi8 said:
Not wanting to fearmonger but given the fact that a larger meteorite is heading by earth today do you think this will be the only one that will hit? They say the big one will miss earth by as little as 17 miles but do you really think this is the only one in the cluster? And how can they be so sure the big one will miss due to the earth's gravitational force. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more hit today.

I think it was 17,200 miles away.....I guess that's pretty close considering forever and ever

17,200 miles is the guess by scientist;

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/02/15/aste ... z2L4rEGGh8

Alan I heard the 17,000 miles on the news as well as I did the 17 mile figure. Last week I saw one of the best shooting stars I've seen in years. It trailed across the sky leaving a tail that stretched half the distance I could see. Beautiful sight. Even had tiime to make a wish. So no fearmongering here just trying to add fodder for somthing of interest. Sorry you misunderstood.

No problem Jo, I should add that my first comment on this thread, you shipping 50lbs of meat, was just a joke and compliment on you excellent culinary skills, nothing more. Also my comment about doom and gloom on CT was not directed at you or your asteroid post as much as many other recent threads. So I may have shown my frustration a little too much in my doom and gloom statement. ATF, the Feds are not going to storm our driveways to get our guns as many here have suggested. Bad guys are not going to start showing up on our door steps anymore often (unless you live on the border of Mexico). Laws will not get passed demanding we turn in or weapons. I'm so sure of this because we as American citizens would not allow it and the government knows it, politicians know it. Not to say we won't see some laws change, but they won't include taking our guns. That was my thoughts on my ill timed comment on doom and gloom on CT, not objects from space hitting earth.

:tiphat:

Alan

If the dang thing would have hit DC congress would have been in recess and Obama would have been playing golf. We just ain't lucky enough for it to happen any other way.

Latest posts