medi dart bow and arrow

Help Support CattleToday:

eatbeef

Reaction score
I have the bow and arrow setup and lost the instructions of course, what is the proper way to lube up the syringe with castor oil

eatbeef":vu4ovm87 said:
I have the bow and arrow setup and lost the instructions of course, what is the proper way to lube up the syringe with castor oil

I can't help you with your question, but I can give you their phone number - 1 888 778 7757. I hope it helps!

I have added so many cross fences that it is hard to get cattle back to the working facilities! Any tips on the best type of dart system for pasture treatment?

Seems like a lot of cattlemen frown win you start talking about darting cattle. Having said that, I have a Benjamin air rifle that will shoot up to a 10 cc dart. I can hit in a 4 inch circle every time at 25 feet or less. I always shoot in the neck and follow the instruction on meds.
I have to take into account my bottom line and the amount of time it will take me to catch and treat an animal. The dart gun has paid for itself several times over.

Do you use only IM medicines with this method?

I've been wondering about these myself. Do you use a sedative / tranquilizer to knock them down - then treat ? I was wanting something like this to help load the wild ones that invariably pop up every year.

I use pneu-dart, disposable darts in my gun. They work great. They come in 3-10 cc sizes. My gun is a Cap-Chur gun and both Cap-Chur and Pneu-dart have websites that fully explain models and varieties and prices. You can pay for a new gun by saving 1 calf. I use mine all the time and it saves time and money and cattle. I use Micatil and Baytril as the main medicines in my darts. I shoot a tranquilizer through the gun to put the animal down if I have to work on their feet or eyes or if I have to handle them. I have had a couple of real crazy ones that I used a light tranquilizer to get them so that I could load them. You will be pleased with what you can do with the gun and how much safer it is when using dangerous medicines

I wish I would have bought the rifle but the bow looked good and it is but you need to have the first shot hit and release because getting close enough for a second is pretty tough, these medicating tools and very handy for driving to the pasture and gitting -r-done. My problem was I shot, I hit, and the la200 didn't release, then I remembered the bottle of castor oil that came with the bow. Just wondering how to lube so the medicating valve opens like it should, Ive also had it open when I shouldn't have(my fault) la200 shore makes a mess on the dash of a pickup

Thanks for the phone number MSSCAMP, it just hit me as I type this that medidart might have a website. Oh well, I'm not the sharpest knife.....

eatbeef":3e6dxvo5 said:
Thanks for the phone number MSSCAMP, it just hit me as I type this that medidart might have a website. Oh well, I'm not the sharpest knife.....

No problem! That's what I thought, too. I did find a website for them, but I was unable to find anything about the lubricating, just the phone number and information on the medi dart. That is probably just 'operator error', though. :oops:

stocky":2pft3itv said:
I use pneu-dart, disposable darts in my gun. They work great. They come in 3-10 cc sizes. My gun is a Cap-Chur gun and both Cap-Chur and Pneu-dart have websites that fully explain models and varieties and prices. You can pay for a new gun by saving 1 calf. I use mine all the time and it saves time and money and cattle. I use Micatil and Baytril as the main medicines in my darts. I shoot a tranquilizer through the gun to put the animal down if I have to work on their feet or eyes or if I have to handle them. I have had a couple of real crazy ones that I used a light tranquilizer to get them so that I could load them. You will be pleased with what you can do with the gun and how much safer it is when using dangerous medicines
Stocky, do you get these tranquizers from a vet and how much do they cost?

stocky":3nq5fq0s said:
My gun is a Cap-Chur gun and both Cap-Chur and Pneu-dart have websites that fully explain models and varieties and prices. You can pay for a new gun by saving 1 calf. I use mine all the time and it saves time and money and cattle. I use Micatil and Baytril as the main medicines in my darts. I shoot a tranquilizer through the gun to put the animal down if I have to work on their feet or eyes or if I have to handle them.

Any alternatives to Cap-Chur? They seem a little expensive but I only what to own guns that will shoot well.

What type and dose of tranquilizer do you use?

Stocker Steve":1q6ipbl6 said:
stocky":1q6ipbl6 said:
My gun is a Cap-Chur gun and both Cap-Chur and Pneu-dart have websites that fully explain models and varieties and prices. You can pay for a new gun by saving 1 calf. I use mine all the time and it saves time and money and cattle. I use Micatil and Baytril as the main medicines in my darts. I shoot a tranquilizer through the gun to put the animal down if I have to work on their feet or eyes or if I have to handle them.

Any alternatives to Cap-Chur? They seem a little expensive but I only what to own guns that will shoot well.

What type and dose of tranquilizer do you use?
I use tranquived and tolazine for the reversing agent.

I have one of those bow and arrow thaings, too. I've wasted alot of penicillin using them, mostly because I'm not a very good shot. If I was doing it again, I'd buy a dart gun. I only use the bow in the winter when the snow gets too deep in the chute.

Latest posts