MEAT IS MURDER

Help Support CattleToday:

Your mom is a wise woman!
I've always felt that the biggest problem our farmers faces is that kids grow up thinking that food just "grows" right there in the grocery store.
Some parents even think it will traumatize their children to find out that meat comes from animals.
I had a mother real mad at me a few years ago -- in the course of a visit I ended up telling her 5 year old daughter that hamburgers come from cows, ham comes from pigs, chicken nuggets come from chickens, and eggs come from chicken butts. The child became vegetarian -- for a whole 5 days, the pull of those chickens nuggets and Happy Meals got the better of her!

People don't realize though that children will accept all these things as a matter of course (without trauma), IF they are exposed to it from an early age. Even my 3 year old grandson understands that some of our animals will be food.
Now we don't kill/butcher in front of the young ones and we don't kill animals that the kids are overly attached to or view as pets, but they still know that particular animals end up on the table, and they don't have a problem with it.

I can remember back to when I was 9 years old and didn't know that meat came from animals. Dad gave me a newborn orphan piglet to bottleraise, and several months later I came home from school one day to find my pet gone and a bunch of pork in the freezer.
Now THAT was traumatizing!
But I got over it. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if Dad had said right from the start that we were going to butcher that pig, but he allowed and even encouraged me to treat it like a pet.
I'm sure that incident shaped my thinking. I have no problem at all with butchering animals that are raised to be meat, but a PET won't be butchered.

AnnB

jls":2agedhm9 said:
mom(retired school teacher) lamenteing the lack of common sense stated "not enough people have to twist the necks on their own sunday dinners any more". I don't think there is a big veggie following in Ethiopia

Famous Archi Bunker quote when Edith tried to serve him beef tongue. "I'm not going to eat anything that came out of a cows mouth, fry me a couple of eggs".
With "pets" usually while they're in being fattened they will do enough to irritate me that I'm not that crazy about them anymore, and I'll have a new pet to takes it's place anyway.

dun

Ann Bledsoe":bzq43hfa said:
I've always felt that the biggest problem our farmers faces is that kids grow up thinking that food just "grows" right there in the grocery store.
Some parents even think it will traumatize their children to find out that meat comes from animals.
I had a mother real mad at me a few years ago -- in the course of a visit I ended up telling her 5 year old daughter that hamburgers come from cows, ham comes from pigs, chicken nuggets come from chickens, and eggs come from chicken butts. The child became vegetarian -- for a whole 5 days, the pull of those chickens nuggets and Happy Meals got the better of her!

People don't realize though that children will accept all these things as a matter of course (without trauma), IF they are exposed to it from an early age. Even my 3 year old grandson understands that some of our animals will be food.
Now we don't kill/butcher in front of the young ones and we don't kill animals that the kids are overly attached to or view as pets, but they still know that particular animals end up on the table, and they don't have a problem with it.

I can remember back to when I was 9 years old and didn't know that meat came from animals. Dad gave me a newborn orphan piglet to bottleraise, and several months later I came home from school one day to find my pet gone and a bunch of pork in the freezer.
But I got over it. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if Dad had said right from the start that we were going to butcher that pig, but he allowed and even encouraged me to treat it like a pet.
I'm sure that incident shaped my thinking. I have no problem at all with butchering animals that are raised to be meat, but a PET won't be butchered.

AnnB

jls":bzq43hfa said:
mom(retired school teacher) lamenteing the lack of common sense stated "not enough people have to twist the necks on their own sunday dinners any more". I don't think there is a big veggie following in Ethiopia

Our current pet will stay around for the rest of his life.
He's a Jersey bull, 8 months old, weighs 200 lbs, and stands just over 30 inches -- technically he's a Standard but he's a throwback to the original smaller Jersey. He's being steered next week and after that his real training starts.
He'll be an ox, trained both for pulling and for riding.
Jersey steers have a hard time carrying a saddle with their narrow little shoulders and scrawny neck, you'd have to put a tail strap on them to hold it in the right place. So he's been left intact so that he could grow some neck and shoulders. He's got enough development now that a saddle should sit on him properly, so he'll be castrated just as soon as the vet can arrange it.
I don't have any worries about temperment with this guy.
I raise several Jersey bulls each year to be gomers, and our methods seem to be working -- our bulls are able to kept from year to year without turning mean. The guy I sell them to says that he's never seen Jersey bulls that are so easy to work with and show no aggression to humans. When they leave here they're halter broke and lead nicely, they know their names and a few basic commands (Come on, Whoa, Back), and they have respect for the human's "personal space".
This runt that I'll be training already has all of that down, so it's not like we're starting from scratch with him. He's a smart little boy and quite eager to please, his personality is more like a horse than a young bull.
He should make a cute mount for the kids.

I know what you mean though, about some of those "pets" getting you irritated enough to look forward to "the day"!
The last one I butchered (freemartin) started off as a bottlebaby, real little sweetheart, could have easily become a pet, but by the time her day came, I almost hated that animal! I couldn't wait to get her in the freezer -- and she made the finest steaks I've ever eaten! Nothing from the grocery store could compare.

Ann

dun":3h1winnu said:
Famous Archi Bunker quote when Edith tried to serve him beef tongue. "I'm not going to eat anything that came out of a cows mouth, fry me a couple of eggs".
With "pets" usually while they're in being fattened they will do enough to irritate me that I'm not that crazy about them anymore, and I'll have a new pet to takes it's place anyway.

dun

Ann Bledsoe":3h1winnu said:

AnnB

jls":3h1winnu said:

I don't look at oxen as pets. Even if you just mess around with them and they don't really do any serious work, they still "can" do something usefull. Although my last yoke of oxen ended up in somebodies freezer, at least it wasn't mine.
I really enjoyed the boys, but since I'm not skidding logs etc. andmore they just don't fit with my use. But when the work finally gets caught up, so far I'm only 6 months behind on my 12 month plan, there well definitely be some more boys or maybe even girls to play with.

dun

Ann Bledsoe":185cmrva said:
Our current pet will stay around for the rest of his life.
He's a Jersey bull, 8 months old, weighs 200 lbs, and stands just over 30 inches -- technically he's a Standard but he's a throwback to the original smaller Jersey. He's being steered next week and after that his real training starts.
He'll be an ox, trained both for pulling and for riding.

I guess the vegies got to their brain. Also where do vegatarians get their protein? From Soybeans....yuck!!!
Ellie May
If they were on an island with a cow and nothing else, that's pretty bad if they starve thereselves.

Ellie May":1v9hoovq said:
If they were on an island with a cow and nothing else, that's pretty bad if they starve thereselves.

Trust me, they wouldn't starve. They'd eat that cow first. Have you heard of the vegetarians calling themselves "flexaterians?" That's a vegetarian that also eats some meat. Cracks me up every time I see the word. I eat vegetables along with meat, so I guess I can be a "flexaterian."

Frankie":2l47k8if said:
Trust me, they wouldn't starve. They'd eat that cow first. Have you heard of the vegetarians calling themselves "flexaterians?" That's a vegetarian that also eats some meat. Cracks me up every time I see the word. I eat vegetables along with meat, so I guess I can be a "flexaterian."

yeah, i've heard that term. supposedly they only eat fish & chicken. guess i'm a "flexaterian" since there are some vegetables that i don't eat.

rbell":2kyp1prr said:
I must say I think animals have rights.
They have the right to clean food and water, the right to good shelter, and proper care. They should never have to suffer.
Even if they are being raised for the food chain that does not change those basic rights.
Some producers may not provide these basics, but if they don't they won't be producers for very long.
And they probably don't provide much for their human dependents either.

Boy you are blind with your definition.... What you described is not rights but WELFARE. Animal and human welfare should be described as you said it.... Rights is a priveliage like religion....I don't think snakes have a religion or rabbits do they? They can't even comprehense the word "rights" even chimps don't understand it and they are closely related to human Correction to all: Chimps are 92 percent NOT 98 percent related!

Dyann":ef98vyjq said:
Meat is murder.. huh? Then I guess so it slicing a carrot. If one considers all "living" things.. hell you cant even eat dirt.. a microbe might lose it's little life... I might suggest you try to find one.. not a microobe.. a life ;-)

Good comment Dyann! I got a good laugh on that comment but there is a great deal of truth in your statement.

Off topic: its funny to hear a woman say like you did.... Can't say why without getting bashed in the head. I thought women were more passionate, sentitive, "fence sitters" on issues like Animal Rights, Logging, etc.....

NCSU Maverick":2teoxxnf said:
The only good thing about a vegetarian is that they leave more meat out there for me to eat.

Just you? What about the poor starving kids in central Africa or Asia.....don't they have same priveliage for meat too? If there is truly more meat than accounted for.....ship them where they can be in good use......... Don't let good meat go rotten!

Oregonian":2ng41p3h said:
NCSU Maverick":2ng41p3h said:
The only good thing about a vegetarian is that they leave more meat out there for me to eat.

Just you? What about the poor starving kids in central Africa or Asia.....don't they have same priveliage for meat too? If there is truly more meat than accounted for.....ship them where they can be in good use......... Don't let good meat go rotten!
Oregonian
you get the money together to pay for the cost of meat and shipping and we will ship all the meat they can eat.

Mr Oregonian
The good people of the USA have been feeding the children of the African Nations and also the Asian nations for generations. Where has it gotten us.
All we have is a bunch of people wanting to kill alll of us. :mad: :mad: :

dun":8pw7npb0 said:

dun

Ha! Ha! Dun! That is great! I miss ol' Archie. Wasn't around when the show was aired but I seen the reruns(Tells you how young I am hehe). Oh well, I will settle for "Becker" or "Cheers". Both are very funny shows!

Ann Bledsoe":8pw7npb0 said:

AnnB

jls":8pw7npb0 said:

Oregonian":3g875y8d said:
rbell":3g875y8d said:
I must say I think animals have rights.
They have the right to clean food and water, the right to good shelter, and proper care. They should never have to suffer.
Even if they are being raised for the food chain that does not change those basic rights.
Some producers may not provide these basics, but if they don't they won't be producers for very long.
And they probably don't provide much for their human dependents either.

Boy you are blind with your definition.... What you described is not rights but WELFARE. Animal and human welfare should be described as you said it.... Rights is a priveliage like religion....I don't think snakes have a religion or rabbits do they? They can't even comprehense the word "rights" even chimps don't understand it and they are closely related to human Correction to all: Chimps are 92 percent NOT 98 percent related!

Hu?

Craig-TX

D.R. Cattle":2couy2v7 said:
Chimps are 0% related to my family. I'm related to Adam and Eve. Perhaps Oregonian is related to chimps. That would explain his behaviour.

Yah sure....wheres my banana???!??

yeah, ok......

Latest posts