Meat grinder

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
I bit the bullet. Bought the LEM Products model 22. 13 pounds per minute. It should be here Friday.

Been fighting a heifer who is down. Done everything I know to do. Lifted her in a sling gave her CMPK doses, banamine etc. She has until Saturday and I will keep trying. She is eating and drinking just fine. She tries to lift herself and almost gets there. When I lift her she just hangs limp. Puzzling. I have never had one in this good of shape that I could not get up.

Sorry about the cow. And that's been a good grinder for me. No problems with mine and it's ground hundreds of deer. Does your have a reversible motor?

tip- if you get a couple sets of knives and plates keep them matched. if you don't have the capabilities to hang and age the sides. debone and put in ice chest and keep covered in ice and drain every day for a few days. It will grind easier. if you grind it hot you will have a huge mess n your hands.

I have a Lem #12 3/4 hp. It will grind meat as fast as I can feed it. I chill my meat in the freezer. Go by the directions, and
you will be glad that you made a good purchase.

Don McCallum":39kcp1lk said:
I have a Lem #12 3/4 hp. It will grind meat as fast as I can feed it. I chill my meat in the freezer. Go by the directions, and
you will be glad that you made a good purchase.

Thanks. I almost bought the 12. Decided on the 22 and got the foot pedal for it too. The 12 looks like it would do what I need done. A friend that makes sausage all the time recommended I go ahead and get the 22.

That's great! I hope you enjoy it. We used to make 400/500 lbs. of link deer sausage per year with another grinder.
We have our own smokehouses that was a lot of fun.

Backhoe, that's exactly the one I have. It's been a good grinder but there is a little learning curve. For example, it helps to have the meat (especially pork) really cold when grinding. Seems to not get plugged up nearly as bad. The "fine" plate that came with mine is really fine - makes the meat come out almost like vienna sausage. Some folks like it that way but I prefer mine slightly more course. Also the stuffer attachment doesn't seem to work very well. When we are stuffing sausage we use an old manual crank type that is much faster.

Thank you for all the input.

My plan is to get it quatered out asap. Three life time tables will be set up end to end in the house. Spread feed sacks on the tables pretty thick and cover them with old bed sheets. Much like I do deer. Since it is all burger, cuts don't matter. I have a huge 5 day ice chest. I am going to debone and put the meat in the ice chest with a touch of vinegar. Inside will keep flies off and it will be a cooler job in itself. My wife, step son, and his wife are going to help. Probably chill the meat only a few hours. I have some smaller ice chests for over fill and an empty freezer for quick cool as well. If I use the freezer, that meat will be ground first to ensure I have enough real estate to put the meat back in there after packaging.

Historically I have always used the processors. It is getting harder and harder to get a window for them to take a steer. You have to book in advance etc. So you can say I am a rookie. I have done dozens of deer and hogs. Like over well over 300 in my life time. Just not cattle.

Keeping it clean and keeping the flies off of it are my objectives.

You need to see if you can find a walk in box to hang the meat in for a few days. A few hours in an ice chest want get the heat out. Check around with some of the slaughter barns there is a reason they let meat hang and chill.

80 pounds of ice and a gallon of vinegar. Worked great. Two newly acquired sons and their wives were a big help. I was cutting it into strips and could not keep up. Really happy with the performance of that grinder.

Did you look at the ribeye? I was going to grind one whole but when I cut the ribeye the steaks looked nice and went ahead and kept them. They were surprisingly good. Pound for pound a think a beef is easier than a deer.

The rib eye looked good. I gave it up. One daughter in law wanted stew meat so I gave her that off of one side. No to be partial I gave the other to my other daughter in law.

This heifer was not fed out. Don't know how good she'll be. Probably decent.

Latest posts