Measuring a calf to come up w/ BW?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've heard of measuring a calf at birth and it giving a pretty accurate weight. Can anyone tell me how thats done and how well it works?
:compute: :compute:

Black and Good":1kbvgjde said:
I've heard of measuring a calf at birth and it giving a pretty accurate weight. Can anyone tell me how thats done and how well it works?
There are measuring tapes designed specifically for the purpose. You can purchase them via Valley Vet and are inexpensive.

CKC1586":2d51kqpa said:
Black and Good":2d51kqpa said:
There are measuring tapes designed specifically for the purpose. You can purchase them via Valley Vet and are inexpensive.[/quo

Thanks for the help! I proably post this in the wrong place,oh well.
:bang: :bang:

inexpensive if you consider an inaccurate measurement to be actually worth something. buy a spring scale and get the REAL weight.

I record both measurements (girth) (hoof) and the actual calf weight each year. Unfortunately I have found a wide variation in weights on calves with the exact same measurement. Weights have varied by as much as 15 pounds on calves of the same girth. If you want a correct weight you will need to put them on the scale to weigh them. If you are only interested in the girth of the calf for determining calving ease, than measurements are helpful.

Latest posts