McDonald's

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas legislation is in session right now to eliminate property taxes. Several bills in committee. I have no clue what the bills will look like. My legislator wants all property tax gone replaced with sales tax.
That's the fairest, another wants school taxes eliminated from property replaced by sales and so on.
I've had mixed emotions about a flat sales tax but that may be the simplest and most logical way at this point. The kicker would be what the city and county governments could still be taxing and charging fees for. It seems like they come up with something new all the time. We have a short term rental business, and at first they said we would not have to pay the city a transient tax as the property is not in the city, however come to find out they are requiring us to.

I've had mixed emotions about a flat sales tax but that may be the simplest and most logical way at this point. The kicker would be what the city and county governments could still be taxing and charging fees for. It seems like they come up with something new all the time. We have a short term rental business, and at first they said we would not have to pay the city a transient tax as the property is not in the city, however come to find out they are requiring us to.
The only way to truly own property is eliminate it from a tax burden.

at first they said we would not have to pay the city a transient tax as the property is not in the city, however come to find out they are requiring us to
The city is requiring you to pay a city tax, but your not in the city? How does that work?

Poor kids don't stand a chance. If you had learned math like this you couldn't give change either.

Common Core math

common-core-new-math-example-confusing-rotten-apple-adds-to-concept-45963209.jpg
Jltrent I have been tring to make sense of this but can't.

Is this truthfully some kind of math problem or did you just make this up ?

Don't we have a member on here who is a school teacher? I'd like his take on this
I think teaching math like that is ridiculous. I don't have direct experience with it because I've never taught elementary, and my kids didn't go through that method in school. I teach students with special needs, and when I teach math, I teach it the old fashioned way.

Jltrent I have been tring to make sense of this but can't.

Is this truthfully some kind of math problem or did you just make this up ?
It is for real. I guess if you start it young it would be easy.

Last edited:
I had enough trouble with math back then, but this new fangled stuff looks plum crazy.
I am going to make it a point to show to my state senator and ask him what the hell is going on with our schools anymore.

Have kids that can't do simple math, can't tell time. Man alive !!!

Just be glad we don't use the Japanese multiplication method. It involves drawing a number of intersecting lines based on the numbers to be multiplied and counting intersection points. Gets complicated with big numbers.

Poor kids don't stand a chance. If you had learned math like this you couldn't give change either.

Common Core math

common-core-new-math-example-confusing-rotten-apple-adds-to-concept-45963209.jpg
I am assuming the equation to solve is 32 - 12 since they state the answer is 20 at the bottom.

So what is the purpose of all the in between stuff to this common core way of learning. What benifit does it have over the normal way of doing subtraction if any ?

I am assuming the equation to solve is 32 - 12 since they state the answer is 20 at the bottom.

So what is the purpose of all the in between stuff to this common core way of learning. What benifit does it have over the normal way of doing subtraction if any ?
Politics, our students are falling behind other countries in education so to take pressure off the politicians they had this implemented. Also what teachers prepare the students for nowadays are able to pass some standard tests. It is a way to hold the teachers accountable by how well the students do on these tests. Is all this better, time will tell.

Last edited:
I'll save them the time JL, no, it's not better.
Well at least for the time being it took the pressure off the politicians. In the early 2000's money was throwed at the education system which should have went for more math, science, special education, foreign language teachers, etc. Instead the money went to create more doctorates in our system. Top heavy with doctorates doesn't equate to a better education for the students. Now we are top heavy with advanced degrees to pay these salaries and the education system is probably no better.

Last edited:
The way i look at what is happening with our kids education is the way i look at our president.

Sure Biden is a moron, imbesil, several French fries short of a happy meal, his evelator doesn't go all the way to the top floor and so on.

He is destroying the U.S. and he is getting the blame for it too. But he wouldn't have got to do all of that if he hadn't of been voted into that position and given the authority to do what he is doing.

So thoes to blame are everyone that voted for him. Not the moron. He is just doing what we the people are letting him do.

Same way with what we are letting be taught to our kids in our schools.
I disagree with your statement that he got voted in. Voter fraud is how he got in.

I disagree with your statement that he got voted in. Voter fraud is how he got in.
Voter fraud is a narrative that has been pushed without credible evidence. If you look back on the past elections, you will find that the only time in fairly recent history that a president served both terms and was followed by his party's nominee was Reagan, and then Bush. The political atmosphere was different then and Reagan was viewed fairly well across the board. In times since then the political landscape has been changing with the advent of around the clock news cycles and more avenues of communication ie internet. More grassroots involvement on local levels has brought more people to be more personally invested. There is more of a sense of division, and division is a good short term strategy, but harmful in the long term, and that is where we are starting to see the developing fruits of those seeds that have been sewn.
In recent times the election cycles have been very polarizing. More people are lining up on on side or the other and the undecided voters are are becoming fewer and perhaps maybe more unpredictable. This is how I see it right or wrong, people are becoming much more partisan as they become more involved in the process, however over the course of the time that a politician is in office, like any other position, job etc., people become more critical and the new wears off, and by the next election cycle especially if the person in office or their policies are seen as polarizing or not productive then a portion of the once partisan vote along with the last minute undecided voters are ready for a change.

Latest posts