McDonald's and American Beef email?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this, sent to me in an e-mail:

Subject: FW: American beef

Please pass this on to as many people as you can!!!!!!!!!!

The original message is from the Texas Cattle Feeders Association.

American cattle producers are very passionate about this.

McDonald's claims that there is not enough beef in the USA to support
their restaurants. Well, we know that is not so. Our opinion is they are
looking to save money at our expense. The sad thing of it is that the
people of the USA are the ones who made McDonald's successful in the
first place, but we are not good enough to provide beef.

We personally are no longer eating at McDonald's, which I am sure does
not make an impact, but if we pass this around maybe there will be an
impact felt.
Please pass it on

Just to add a note, all Americans that sell cows at a livestock auction
barn had to sign a paper stating that we do NOT EVER feed our cows any
part of another cow. South Americans are not required to do this as of
yet.

McDonald's has announced that they are going to start importing much of
their beef from South America . The problem is that South Americans
aren't under the same regulations as American beef producers, and the
regulations they have are loosely controlled.

They can spray numerous pesticides on their pastures that have been
banned here at home because of residues found in the beef. They can also
use various hormones and growth regulators that we can't. The American
public needs to be aware of this problem and that they may be putting
themselves at risk from now on by eating at good old McDonald's.

American ranchers raise the highest quality beef in the world and this
is what Americans deserve to eat. Not beef from countries where quality
is loosely controlled. Therefore, I am proposing a boycott of McDonald's
until they see the light.

I'm sorry but everything is not always about the bottom line, and when
it comes to jeopardizing my family's health, that is where I draw the
line.

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to
at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least
ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on, by the time the message
reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE
MILLION consumers!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?
Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on.

David W. Forrest, Ph.D., PAS, Dipl. ACAP Department of Animal Science

I am no expert on this matter but I read where they are importing most of their beef from Mexico. The article also said Mexico does not have the safe guards in place to keep dead and sick cattle from being butchered and sold as beef.

I personally have not eaten at MC-D's since the 80's and that was only breakfast. I made my decision a long time ago not to eat there.

flaboy":25dbpjpi said:
I am no expert on this matter but I read where they are importing most of their beef from Mexico. The article also said Mexico does not have the safe guards in place to keep dead and sick cattle from being butchered and sold as beef.

I personally have not eaten at MC-D's since the 80's and that was only breakfast. I made my decision a long time ago not to eat there.

I'm with you flaboy-- I go to the local restaurants that advertise CAB -at least I'm fairly confident that is truly beef and not Mexican donkey... And as soon as M-COOL becomes law and these establishments can source their beef will be going only to those that guarantee USA BEEF-born, raised, slaughtered....

McDonald's and the US cattleman is kind of a love-hate relationship. Every time McDonald's anounces an added country to import from, the cattle market here takes a hit. Alot of people have gotten burned, including me, on the timing of those anouncements. If I am not mistaken, McDonalds did not say there is not enough US beef, they said there is not enough LEAN US beef. To me, that means they cant get enough of the low quality, sorry animals because we raise our beef too good for them. But, on the other hand, McDonald's still sells more of our beef than any other company, so when we fight them, we are fighting our leading seller. To me, we should not be able to import from any country that does not have the same standards for pesticides, slaughtering, quality, etc., that our farmers have to adhere to. But, we all know that will never happen. It would be very interesting, if anyone has access, to find out what percentage of the beef from each restaraunt chain comes from imported beef and what percentage comes from US beef. I dont know if they put out those numbers, but it would certainly help some people decide where they want to eat.

flaboy":b8cvbgci said:

Is that when you got your AARP card and then could afford to dine at more refined establishments?

MistyMorning":1cdysqtz said:
Is that when you got your AARP card and then could afford to dine at more refined establishments?

Well Crygirl, I didn't hear you complaining when I picked you up off of the street that night and you found out all I wanted was to feed you. I didn't even make you take ragged fishnet stockings off before going inside.

As far as truth or fiction. Don't matter to me I ain't eating there. For years they would not say they used 100% pure beef. They have finally come around to at least claiming 100% beef these days.

Remember Wendy's "where's the beef" ad? Did they know something?