McDonald's good news - bad news

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
jltrent said:
Don't know if I can handle another Chicken sandwich. I bet those chicken farmers get nothing for their chickens.

You are right they don't. All they do is act a care-tkaers for the birds. The company brings the birds, the company requires them to use the feed provied by the company for the bird, and the company tells them the price. The farmer just hits a button and feeds and waters the birds and the farme picks up and logs the number of dead birds every day. The contracts are about 30 pages long and the farmer might get a few cents per bird that survives. There are normally about 30,000 birds per house.

About 35 cents per bird (plus a fuel allowance in the winter to help with heating costs). 5-6 flocks per year. Typical chicken farm has 4 houses. Using 5.5 flocks per year, that is $231,000 per year. Major expenses are mortgage, fuel, electricity, water, insurance, maintenance. Chicken farm income is greater than average farm income. In addition, the farmer owns the litter which can be sold or can be used to fertilize pastures or crop land.

simme said:
sstterry said:
jltrent said:
Don't know if I can handle another Chicken sandwich. I bet those chicken farmers get nothing for their chickens.

You are right they don't. All they do is act a care-tkaers for the birds. The company brings the birds, the company requires them to use the feed provied by the company for the bird, and the company tells them the price. The farmer just hits a button and feeds and waters the birds and the farme picks up and logs the number of dead birds every day. The contracts are about 30 pages long and the farmer might get a few cents per bird that survives. There are normally about 30,000 birds per house.

About 35 cents per bird (plus a fuel allowance in the winter to help with heating costs). 5-6 flocks per year. Typical chicken farm has 4 houses. Using 5.5 flocks per year, that is $231,000 per year. Major expenses are mortgage, fuel, electricity, water, insurance, maintenance. Chicken farm income is greater than average farm income. In addition, the farmer owns the litter which can be sold or can be used to fertilize pastures or crop land.

You are obviously more knowlegeble than I about this, but I know several in our are that went bust.

sstterry said:
simme said:
sstterry said:

You are obviously more knowlegeble than I about this, but I know several in our are that went bust.

Expenses are huge. If you purchase expensive land and build the houses and don't have an outside source of income, almost impossible to make it work. If you already own the land and have an outside source of income, it can work. Need to be efficient and a good manager. Once the houses are paid for (usually 15 years), it provides good net income. Taking a loan without a detailed business plan that predicts a suitable profit is what gets a lot of people in trouble. Also, lots of permitting issues for chicken houses.

simme said:
sstterry said:
simme said:

Expenses are huge. If you purchase expensive land and build the houses and don't have an outside source of income, almost impossible to make it work. If you already own the land and have an outside source of income, it can work. Need to be efficient and a good manager. Once the houses are paid for (usually 15 years), it provides good net income. Taking a loan without a detailed business plan that predicts a suitable profit is what gets a lot of people in trouble. Also, lots of permitting issues for chicken houses.

I have a neighbor that has 8 houses. Luckily he is down wind from us!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dave said:
I pretty much gave up on McDonald's a while back. They are not good, fast, or cheap. It is bad food that takes a while and cost enough that for the same money I can go buy good food.

It's a wonder they stay in business let alone are a world leader in the food services industry.

Kids love McDonald's for some reason.

Up to 10% of an industrially-raised chicken is fecal soup absorbed into the "mush-soft" meat from the chill tanks.

At day's end, chill tanks have up to 12" of fecal sludge at the bottom from sloppy mechanical evisceraton.

Large processing plants douse the birds with multiple chlorine baths to kill bacteria.

Best to raise a few birds the right way yourself or find a farmer who is already doing it.

Dave said:
I pretty much gave up on McDonald's a while back. They are not good, fast, or cheap. It is bad food that takes a while and cost enough that for the same money I can go buy good food.

That is true. I can get burgers and chicken strips at Steak n Shake, and it was cheaper than McDonalds, and the food is much, much better.

shaz said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dave said:

It's a wonder they stay in business let alone are a world leader in the food services industry.

Kids love McDonald's for some reason.
Kid do love McD's. Our kids when they were 3 to 7 years old could spot the arch miles away. Luckily they outgrew McD's.

I will eat breakfast there. If I do eat lunch there I will get two fish sandwiches. They are preparade when you order, they don't sit around. You can ask that anything you order be made fresh instead of getting what is sitting around. I do like their fries.