Max voltage

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the max output on these boxes are? Its made by parmak. I seem to only get a max of 2300v out of these. I just wondered if anyone got more out of it. The pastures I use these on are only for cows and calves or bred heifers no bulls. They are fence trained but just wondered if I could get more than that out of these boxes. I use 1 ground bar 8' tall I think it was and then 1 4 foot of rebar piece and 2 24" rebar pieces for grounds. The 2300 will get there attention but not like my plug in box that puts out over 5000v.
Just wondering.

http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p ... r-30m.aspx

I have no idea what the output is but if you want to see if you are getting all out of it that it will do try this.
Go 100ft or so from the box and put a steel post or something on the fence to completely short out the fence. If you can get it to touch all the wires even better. Then take your voltage tester and see if you have any voltage on the ground wire. If you have voltage on the ground you need to add more ground rod. Keep adding ground rods until you read 0v and I add 1 more after that. Also do not cut the ground wire just somehow attach it to each ground rod with a continious wire. If all that is correct and you still only have 2300v thats all you are going to get from that box.

thanks Kenny.. would you even worry with trying to get more voltage or let it ride?

Hdrider its the 2nd one I love their boxes

herefordlover":1m2milt3 said:
Unhook the fence and see what the charger does. ? Did u let it set in the sun for a few days to charge first

I will toy with it before I move the cows on that pasture its too hot for all that today. Yea, I did for a solid week. I think our soil since its sandy and dry has a lot to do with it. I was tempted to run a ground 100 ft away near a soft spring area just to see what would happen.

ddd75":242y31bi said:
hey sky high.. how many cattle do you run?

Too many for me :lol: .. I want to get down to 15 and change how I do things.

When I was running the line I had a wire wrapped around a t post and this was the result

ResizedImage_1431880842246_zps75e80115.jpg

Got the wire off the pole

ResizedImage_1431880841662_zps7b7569ea.jpg

KT has a good idea.My Parmaks of the same size will put 7,000+ on the fence if clean.Parmak lists,as someone already said,13,500 for no load and 3100V for 100 ohms so you might have some resistance.I have had poly-wire break down where it had been damaged and would not let current flow.
I really need to upgrade my ground system on the Parmak Mark 6 at the shed.
You might want to "water" your ground rods.I have noticed poor results in dry weather.

a short in the wire will drive you :banana: :banana: .I had one yesterday on a farm I graze.Tried hunting it down and finally found it. Where it crosses the middle of a pond,it had dropped down over the winter into the water so .....

JW IN VA":kuqfnk7c said:
a short in the wire will drive you :banana: :banana: .I had one yesterday on a farm I graze.Tried hunting it down and finally found it. Where it crosses the middle of a pond,it had dropped down over the winter into the water so .....
Yep, my best investment in a while has been a real good tester that also shows the direction the short is in. Around $100 but well worth it.

JW IN VA":1bg8mcl7 said:
Been thinking about getting one of those.Gallegher had them on sale a while back.
Speedrite makes a good one. They also make a charger that can be turned off and on by placing the tester on the wire and pushing a button. Can turn off the charger from hundreds of yards away if you find a short.

Kenny I did your test and I need more ground rods.. I also tested again got 3600 volts.. what is the lowest volts you all would say a fence needs to keep cows on?

skyhightree1":2ng8lewj said:
Kenny I did your test and I need more ground rods.. I also tested again got 3600 volts.. what is the lowest volts you all would say a fence needs to keep cows on?
Once they are trained it wont take much at all. The 3600 will do but if you have a bull you will need more. His old hide is tough.
Now mine is a 110 and tests 8200. It keeps bulls on one side and heifers in heat on the other.

skyhightree1":c2mesfbx said:
cows are trained and no bull so may let it go. I would like to get at least 5000 though
The ROT is 4500 for cattle

Latest posts