Fence voltage target?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I used to be satisfied with 4,000 volts at the end of the run. Now this year a have an unidentified gate buster in one bunch and I am not so sure.

What voltage level do you like to see for a typical pasture fence?

4.5k but I like 5.5k better. Although I've never had a problem as low as 3.6k once they're trained to the fence. When they're trained to it they never even try it

I am running a Propak Magnum for a lot of cross fences on the leased place.
It is easy to get 7K in the spring, but 4 to 5 K is about max this time of year.
I have a back up Propak and 3 batteries...
so should I split the fence with 2 energizers to cross up my untrained gate buster??? :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":3g98wry2 said:
It is easy to get 7K in the spring, but 4 to 5 K is about max this time of year.
so should I split the fence with 2 energizers to cross up my untrained gate buster??? :cowboy:
Are you sure she crashing it and not jumping it? Neighbor had a Holstein heifer that cleared a 5 foot fence flat footed, looked like a freaken steeplechase jumper

dun":394g353s said:
Stocker Steve":394g353s said:
Are you sure she crashing it and not jumping it? Neighbor had a Holstein heifer that cleared a 5 foot fence flat footed, looked like a freaken steeplechase jumper

Had a jumper a couple years ago. Problem with that one was he caught the fence and pulled it down about every third time...
I think I know who the gate crasher is. Saw him walk through a high tensile fence and just twitch for a while. Big problem is when the pin locks at a gate break and then it a party for the whole herd. :( Time to sell some stockers.

Stocker Steve":19k13mqt said:
dun":19k13mqt said:
Stocker Steve":19k13mqt said:

Had a jumper a couple years ago. Problem with that one was he caught the fence and pulled it down about every third time...
I think I know who the gate crasher is. Saw him walk through a high tensile fence and just twitch for a while. Big problem is when the pin locks at a gate break and then it a party for the whole herd. :( Time to sell some stockers.
We had one steer that would walk right through hotwire. You could hear the crackle and sizzle, never fazed him a lick. He was an early wean

I have a neighbor that can grab hold of hot wire and never twitch- says it just doesn't bother him and its like being tickled.
So I guess it would stand to reason that there might be a calf or two that doesn't feel a shock either.

I replace the pin locks at gates with a long fence staple. In fact whenever one gets broke thats how I "fix" it.

Hit the hot wire with my head yesterday. I just twitched for a while also...

I use pin locks on tee posts for my cross fences, so staples do not work for me. I think the pin lock plastic gets brittle after a couple years.

Any other suggestions for tee post gates?

Stocker Steve":xvfiyweb said:
Any other suggestions for tee post gates?
I have some of the top ones that have a strap mounting deal that goes around a t-post
insul1.gif

insul2.gif

Stocker Steve":20nizasp said:
Who sells them with straps?
Idon;t know who makes them. I have a pile of them I got in the bottom of a junk box at an auction. Just saw them at valleyvet.com, they're made by an outfit called powerfields

insul1.gif

A stapel works just fine to replace this kind of pin- even with the insulators like it, that hook to a t post.
I have nails with a big head replacing the pins in the insulators I use to hook gate hooks to.
I guess nails would work better for both applications but when I am replacing busted pins I usually have staples with me.